Thread: Chernobyl's Legacy - The children of Belarus

Default Chernobyl's Legacy - The children of Belarus

Its the 20th Anniversary of the Chernobyl Nuclear Accident... Its so sad that its debillating effects are still felt today.

Here are some really excellent pictures that paint a bleak future for some of its young victims.

http://todayspictures.slate.com/inmo...say_chernobyl/
    Last edited by Shodan99; 27th April 2006 at 06:27 PM.

Default Re: Chernobyl's Legacy - The children of Belarus

i saw the special documentary on discovery yesterday... >.<

Linky not working. I watched the 2 hrs documentary on Discovery yesterday. Battle of Chernobyl. If you missed it, this weekend might have a re-run.

watched that documentary too yesterday. Quite informative. Esp, the part when the place was too dangerous for robots, they send in humans.

wondered if the guy who made that decision did his share of a few minutes of work....

Its ok now...

Thanks for the link. You know, sometimes we think our problems are so big. We don't know how lucky we are.

Excellent documentary on discovery channel.. especially liked photographs from that Russian photographer..couldn't catch his name..
    if my camera is there at the right moment, click, all I have to do is accept it.
    -edouard boubat

Don't think they have a choice for not sending in human. They have to clean the place and sealed the core in order to prevent a catastrophes. Sad to say, all those soldiers got is $100 for the effort. The government is even cutting their welfare now.
    除了爱, 我一无所有

i can't imagine how hard it is to force yourself to go out there and know you'll be slowly dying from something you can't see and can't stop..
    the film really showed the human side of the disaster... those men, the 'bio-robots' are true heroes.. and all they got was a hundred bucks, a certificate and free vodka..
    if my camera is there at the right moment, click, all I have to do is accept it.
    -edouard boubat

I hope you have switched on your speakers as well. There's also some very commentary by the photographer.

i did a small study of chernobyl while i was schooling and I feel sad that this diaster could actually happen.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

Wow, this is heart wrenching man. My heart goes out to all those afflicted. The poor children who are spastic and can't even sit on a chair but has to lie on the floor to take their meal. This is so sad.

Is there any organisation around that is helping these ppl?
    My Webspace
    ##See and listen with your heart, for beauty will reveal thyself##

check out this months nat geo magazine. They have got a good photo coverage and article on this topic.

On NGC, they have a programme series call Seconds from Disaster and on Discovery, they have Zero Hour: Disaster at Chernobyl. Both covered Chernobyl's last hours, minutes and seconds. They explain how it happened.

I've watched both last year.
    Last edited by afbug; 28th April 2006 at 02:17 AM.

Deregistered

Indeed. Thanks for the first Magnum URL, that was insightful.

Quote Originally Posted by wind30
    watched that documentary too yesterday. Quite informative. Esp, the part when the place was too dangerous for robots, they send in humans.

wondered if the guy who made that decision did his share of a few minutes of work....
    thats life... to countries like that, the 'cost' of a human is less than the 'cost' of a machine, hence labour intensive... for us, we cost more than machines esp with the insurance we buy & such...

will try to catch the re-run this weekend if possible... so its Discovery channel, est wat time?
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

sorry, anyone know where is that location of hospital that showed in those photos? issit in Chernobyl too?

All the people have been affected are gathered in that hospital? i read in newspaper that originally claimed to have 9000 victims..

Quote Originally Posted by LENS
    sorry, anyone know where is that location of hospital that showed in those photos? issit in Chernobyl too?

All the people have been affected are gathered in that hospital? i read in newspaper that originally claimed to have 9000 victims..
    if i remember correctly from the documentary, its a hospital in moscow, during that time, it was the only hospital equip to deal with pp affected by radioactive materials... -_-"

the 2 hour special was really good and very informative, they show most of the things "as it is", heart wrenching to see some of the pictures... i really admire the pp who gave their lives to stablize the disaster, the miners, the pilots, the soldiers and etc..