Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Must do in San Diego ?

Default Re: Must do in San Diego ?

I've always rented cars with my Singapore license in the US in the past. But that was many years back already. Don't know if it is still the same.

A word of caution though. Even if you drive there, DO NOT drive around alone. A wrong turn into a wrong alley/area could land you in lots of trouble.... And like some bros here have mentioned, in the US, try not to stay out or venture too far after dark.

If you're staying near the bay/harbour area, the place itself is beautiful! Don't forget your wide angle lens!

Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon
    Certain places in US seems to be quite dangerous for asian gals. Generally, stay away from the blacks area and don't stay out after dark. When I when for a tour 2 years back in US, the guide told us not to walk the other direction from the hotel in San Francisco because it was the blacks area (the opposite side is the civic district)..
    I had the same experience in SF also. Maybe it was the same hotel? hehe. In fact, I was harassed by a bunch of hispanic teenage kids with a freaking pit bull terrier when I took a wrong turn while walking back to the hotel. I bolted across the street to the safety of the busy shopping area.

Quote Originally Posted by superfly
    I had the same experience in SF also. Maybe it was the same hotel? hehe. In fact, I was harassed by a bunch of hispanic teenage kids with a freaking pit bull terrier when I took a wrong turn while walking back to the hotel. I bolted across the street to the safety of the busy shopping area.
    Think it was Holiday Inn Civic Centre along Eight Street. Is that the same Hotel?

Quote Originally Posted by drakko
    take the opportunity to visit also tijuana, mexico; where mujeres are hot and cervezas are cold. you'll also love tacos and buritos along the streets of tijuana. ooops.. they have jalapenos which is deliciously hot than local chili padi. arriba senor furball.
    and hey, send my regards to zorro .

again, don't miss tijuna,mexico.

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon
    Think it was Holiday Inn Civic Centre along Eight Street. Is that the same Hotel?
    No, not that. Mine was a cheapo hotel, think it was Ramada Inn or something like that. The bell boy warned us not to walk towards the lane behind the hotel, IIRC.

Drop by Old Town SD. Nice little ethnic area where you can get some handicraft, mexican clothes and buy a couple of bottles of one of the hottest chili sauces in the world "Dave's Ultimate Insanity" (not just Dave's Insanity but Ultimate). It's so hot that a tiny drop is enough to make you cry and sweat.

Another reason for going there is that there is a tour service known as the "Old Town Trolley" that starts from there and takes you around most of the interesting, need to see, areas of SD and explains the significance of each of these places. You can alight and hop on at any of the places to shop/shoot/eat/etc.

If you do choose to try this, go early so that you have more time to visit the drop off places and finish off late in Old Town so you can try some of the best TexMex food. There's also a "real" haunted house in Old Town that you can visit and if you're there around the 6th and 7th of May, you'll get to see their Cinco de Mayo celebrations, which is something definitely worth shooting.

Cheers
    Last edited by deadpixel; 30th April 2006 at 04:12 AM.

I would get an international driver's license, just on the safe side if you want to rent a car, you'll never know. Usually they don't question the international driver's license. Also if you get pulled over for any traffice violation, you can use that as an excuse.... I am a tourist, the cop might let you off with a warning. I did.

If you are going to rent a car get all the insurance they offer, it will save you a whole lot of hassle if anything happens.

If you are a member of the Automobile Association of Singapore, bring your AA card. If you need maps you can always find a Automobile Association of America and get free maps and a triptik if you need one. The triptik tells you the freeways to take, cities you'll pass and I think in some cases they will also give you detailed city maps. It is a good thing to have handy if you are doing a road trip. check it out, if you need maps.

Thanks for the many advices.
    Will try to squeeze as much out of my trip as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by furball
    Wah, thanks for the pointers.

Is it really that unsafe in SD ? Me gal, travelling alone
    don't worry too much lah ..
    SD is a relatively safe city, but don't think it's like Singapore.
    just use common sense...if you feel unsafe, turn away....pay attention to how people look at you. You should be able to feel their intention (female is usually better at this than male).
    In general, if you stay in tourist area, you will be safe.
    Although there are some people who ask for a quarter (25c), just politely say 'no' , or say something in your worst English.. they will go away, I tried that
    Even in downtown (near Horton Plaza), you will be ok.. just don't go to dark alley

Geez.. now I miss SD ..

Quote Originally Posted by furball
    Any place worth taking night scenery ?
    And enough time to get back to hotel, safely ?
    Read from traveller books, some buses stop at 6pm
    From what u guys discribe, like very unsafe

go to Coronado Island Ferry Landing, yo can see downtown SD, good for nightshoot. Unfortunately, you will need a car..
    Or, you can go to the Del Coronado hotel and take nightshot there.
    It's pretty safe in Coronado to walk around at night (it's a small city, has a huge naval base, and expensice place to live in general..) and take taxy to go back to your hotel.
    Bus services, there are two or three types of buses.. the big one stops around 10-12 at night,

If you are staying near the Zoo, definitely go to Balboa Park and walk the bridge across the freeway ..

Quote Originally Posted by deadpixel
    Drop by Old Town SD. Nice little ethnic area where you can get some handicraft, mexican clothes and buy a couple of bottles of one of the hottest chili sauces in the world "Dave's Ultimate Insanity" (not just Dave's Insanity but Ultimate). It's so hot that a tiny drop is enough to make you cry and sweat.

Another reason for going there is that there is a tour service known as the "Old Town Trolley" that starts from there and takes you around most of the interesting, need to see, areas of SD and explains the significance of each of these places. You can alight and hop on at any of the places to shop/shoot/eat/etc.

If you do choose to try this, go early so that you have more time to visit the drop off places and finish off late in Old Town so you can try some of the best TexMex food. There's also a "real" haunted house in Old Town that you can visit and if you're there around the 6th and 7th of May, you'll get to see their Cinco de Mayo celebrations, which is something definitely worth shooting.

Cheers
    You can take the trolley to go to downtown... the haunted house is actually a restaurant now (if I remember correctly), and an expensive one !

Yes, the Old Town Trolley tour is good, I recommend it ! Ask the hotel about it.
    You can take it at various point, but the one I remember is near the Star of India, downtown. The trolley will go around, you can hop on and off anytime you like and take the next one that comes along ..
    Definitely take this tour !!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123