Thread: Scanning a Polaroid photo

Default Scanning a Polaroid photo

Hi

Can any one advise me if it is ok to scan a Polaroid photo? I mean will the scanning spoil my photo?

I understand that a Polaroid photo is taken by a plastic film that can polarize a beam of light, so if i scan the photo, then would the light damage the colour quality of my Polaroid photo, thus faded or reduce the life span?

thanks!

Default Re: Scanning a Polaroid photo

in the first place polaroids like any photograph/slide/neg will fade/degrade over time even though they have been fixed, but we've talking years, decades here. so your concern is pointless, you might as well scan it now and have a soft copy to keep forever. unless you plan to copy your polaroids.

if you do not want the polaroid to fade, then keep them in cold storage and in the dark, never to see the light again. heh, it don't think that's what you want? well i don't think 1 scan is going to harm the polaroid much. Polaroid would be ashamed of themselves if it did.

Quote Originally Posted by foxtwo
    in the first place polaroids like any photograph/slide/neg will fade/degrade over time even though they have been fixed, but we've talking years, decades here. so your concern is pointless, you might as well scan it now and have a soft copy to keep forever. unless you plan to copy your polaroids.

if you do not want the polaroid to fade, then keep them in cold storage and in the dark, never to see the light again. heh, it don't think that's what you want? well i don't think 1 scan is going to harm the polaroid much. Polaroid would be ashamed of themselves if it did.
    Hi

Thanks for the advice!

May be I wasn't specific in my question. I meant would the scan causes the photo to fade immediately.

As what you had said, 1 scan may not harm the polaroid much. I could be over worry

cheers!

Since you are talking about Polaroid, shouldn't it be easy to take a test shot and then scan that to see if it really fades before you do anything to the photo you care about?

Also, you can look at the scanning as a better way to archive your picture than to store the polaroid. Of course looking at a print is different than looking at a digitaized copy of it on a computer screen, but if that difference is not the most important thing about the picture then even if the picture were to facde immediately after you scan it you should still end up with a picture than is in a fornat that is much easier to deal with in terms of storage, editing and sharing.
    As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.