Thread: the square landscape

Default the square landscape

trying out square crops, used this landscape shot to try it out.. not really sharp as i was on a train when i shot it.

if my camera is there at the right moment, click, all I have to do is accept it.
    -edouard boubat

Default Re: the square landscape

you could try putting the tree in the middle.

it works for square crops

Hmm... the frame doesn't look square to me. It's a bit of a rectangle really, in the portrait format, with the vertical length longer than the horizontal length. The dimensions seems weird to me...

Apart from the frame, I do wonder what is your intention of adding in so much dead space at the top, with mostly uninteresting rough masses of cloud. Proportion wise, the cloud seems to take up more space (read: attention) than the landscape with the solitary tree. Probably you may want to consider reducing the attention from the sky, and focus more on the landscape by simple cropping?

will try that out.. however the crop is a square one as i set the proportions of the cropping tool in PS. could be due to the contrasting sky and land that might have seemed to lengthen the shot. appreciate the input...
    if my camera is there at the right moment, click, all I have to do is accept it.
    -edouard boubat

Hi,

i measured the pic and indeed, it is rectangular. perhaps keyed in wrong settings in photoshop

weiming.

er... its 500 by 500 pixels actually.

square crops tend to look rectangular or out of shape. its an optical illusion.

when they have sqaure crop photo competition everyone keeps complaining that the other guy is cheating

lol..thanks for clearing that up...i went to measure it myself..it really was 500x500..
    -edouard boubat