Thread: Help needed in migrating my domain name and web data...

Default Help needed in migrating my domain name and web data...

I have a website which i signed up with a local hosting company. Just before it expired (few days ago), i signed up with godaddy.com for a year worth of web hosting and email.
    However, when i go to the website now, it says 'expired' - so i presume this domain name still sticks with my local hosting company and haven't to 'link' with godaddy, can i say that?

If so what should i do now? Or if anybody have this area of expertise can advice anything? My local hosting company is run by a person (friend's friend) and he takes really long to reply my mail, and that is frustrating

Deregistered

Default Re: Help needed in migrating my domain name and web data...

Erm... if the domain has expired, you need to renew it first, once it's renewed and registered in the registrar's DB, you can proceed to propogate the DNS of it using godaddy's nameservers.

Your domain registrar should have some tools for you to do that, you can get the nameservers from godaddy.com

espn, i wish i could understand what you mean.. because those hosting/web lingos you used are alien languages to me... haha!

anyway i got both my web space and domain name together from the local hosting company, so that guy just 1 man show and do it all for me, give me the ftp address and SMTP and POP mail thingy, then i just change the settings in the my email program and upload files to the FTP address, then everything working well.
    the problem is, everything behind the curtain is done for me by the local web hosting guy, so he didn't give me any configuration thing to do. Just like plug-n-play on my side. (which is bad because i don't know what to do now!)

and what do u mean by "propogate the DNS of it using godaddy's nameservers"?? and "get the nameservers from godaddy.com"?

actually i'd really appreciate if there's any kind soul who i can meet up with, and do the configuration on my laptop... so much things in godaddy to configure, im really blur.. now im overseas trying to enjoy cos my life is taking a toll on me, and now i'm troubled about my web hosting thing, sigh, really sian!

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by behyx
    espn, i wish i could understand what you mean.. because those hosting/web lingos you used are alien languages to me... haha!
    Bascially you might want to register an account, say with www.registerfly.com get the guy from your current host, to transfer the domain to your name so that you own the domain (ie: www.behyx.com).

and what do u mean by "propogate the DNS of it using godaddy's nameservers"?? and "get the nameservers from godaddy.com"?
    Your new host will have a new IP, you'll need to refresh the the domain (www.behyx.com) to the new IP, so that it can be accessed via www.behyx.com and not via IP (ie: 192.168.0.1), that's propogating the DNS.

The host on their side will also register your domain on their nameservers so that any calls to the domain will be redirected to their server and your pages will load.

Sorry if it sounds confusing

Thanks ESPN

"The host on their side will also register your domain on their nameservers so that any calls to the domain will be redirected to their server and your pages will load."

So technically speaking, i just have to put my domain name (ie: www.behyx.com) on godaddy's nameserver, and everything will work well, is it?

If that is so, then i know what to do already

Eh, I used to work in such a service provider company before, so I know what you are going through. Most small IT companies are usually understaffed and overworked (poor system engineer...hehe...)

Let me try; I may be wrong (have not touched these things for some time), so anyone with more updated experience pls feel free to correct me.
    • Basically, after you register the domain name with the Domain Registrar (the company selling the domain names), it should give you a control panel to put in the DNS servers of where your website is hosted (godaddy.com).
    • Get the address of the DNS servers of godaddy.com (the company you subscribe the web space with - they should know this info), and plonk it with the Domain Registrar. Check with your Domain Registrar how to do it if you're unsure.
    • You'll need to let godaddy.com know of your domain name (behyx.com). After that they should take care of the background work. You should not need to do anything (erm, by right). Otherwise, they may give you a control panel to fill in the domain name yourself.
    Give 24 hours for the new DNS information to be propagated across the Internet. After this period you should be able to access your website with your domain name.
    Last edited by Ah Pao; 25th April 2006 at 12:29 AM.

Deregistered

Thanks ESPN

"The host on their side will also register your domain on their nameservers so that any calls to the domain will be redirected to their server and your pages will load."

So technically speaking, i just have to put my domain name (ie: www.behyx.com) on godaddy's nameserver, and everything will work well, is it?

If that is so, then i know what to do already
    They will put it in for you, but you need to add in godaddy's nameservers onto the registrar's side to update the configuration so that behyx.com look up will route to godaddy's nameservers and resolve accordingly

My local hosting company said they had already changed the whois information for the domain, and is ready for the transfer to my domain provider.

He said there will be administrator charge of $20.00 for the transfer. Is it a normal practice?

So how do i do the transfer to godaddy?

Deregistered

My local hosting company said they had already changed the whois information for the domain, and is ready for the transfer to my domain provider.

He said there will be administrator charge of $20.00 for the transfer. Is it a normal practice?

So how do i do the transfer to godaddy?
    Erm normally I would transfer the domain ownership under my own account and keep it.

I don't let the hosting companies register/own it for me, because the domain needs to be renewed yearly and hosting companies charge a pretty high charge for it. And everytime you shift from hostings to hostings, you need to transfer the domain, and it's all charges.

I renew my domains yearly at US$8.99 under registerfly personally. My hosting company is charging S$25 for the renewal!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by espn
    Erm normally I would transfer the domain ownership under my own account and keep it.

I don't let the hosting companies register/own it for me, because the domain needs to be renewed yearly and hosting companies charge a pretty high charge for it. And everytime you shift from hostings to hostings, you need to transfer the domain, and it's all charges.

I renew my domains yearly at US$8.99 under registerfly personally. My hosting company is charging S$25 for the renewal!!!!
    Wow!

So how do i transfer the domain ownership under my own account / own name?