Thread: How do we take pictures of sunset or sunrise?

Red face How do we take pictures of sunset or sunrise?

Hi All.. !!

Newbie here. Would like to find out, how do we actually take pictures of sunset or sunrise? Please do not tell me just use a camera k . ahahah k .. *cold joke* ...

I mean, we can't possibly look through the view finder and just take eh? the orange ball is too strong and might blind us .. whahah ..

Do we need a filter or something? Please advise !!

Default Re: How do we take pictures of sunset or sunrise?

Wear sunglasses while shooting...
    Honestly, I nv think of that qns b4.
    Coz, I nv try to shoot sunset or sunrise with my DSLR b4.
    Only try on a PnS with the LCD.

Quote Originally Posted by obewan
    Wear sunglasses while shooting...
    Honestly, I nv think of that qns b4.
    Coz, I nv try to shoot sunset or sunrise with my DSLR b4.
    Only try on a PnS with the LCD.

good one. try harder.. hahahaha .. kidding. No Offence K! *peace*

k lets hope the next one wont ask me to shut my eyes while looking into the view finder ..

Any tips?

Quote Originally Posted by coughybean
    Hi All.. !!

Newbie here. Would like to find out, how do we actually take pictures of sunset or sunrise? Please do not tell me just use a camera k . ahahah k .. *cold joke* ...

I mean, we can't possibly look through the view finder and just take eh? the orange ball is too strong and might blind us .. whahah ..

Use ND filter to protect your CCD and eyes.

Neutral Density filters have several uses and offer the possibility to achieve otherwise unachievable results. ND filters appear grey and reduce the amount of light reaching the film/CCD. They have no effect on color balance. They have four main uses: 1) To enable slow shutter speeds to be used, especially with high speed films, to record movement in subjects such as waterfalls, clouds, or cars. 2) To decrease depth of field by allowing wider apertures to be used, which helps separate subjects from their background. 3) To decrease the effective ISO of high speed film (above ISO 400) and allow it to be used outdoors in bright situations. 4) To allow cine and video cameras (which have fixed shutter speeds) to film subjects such as snow, sand or other bright scenes which could cause overexposure.
    Last edited by nokia; 24th April 2006 at 11:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nokia

Neutral Density filters have several uses and offer the possibility to achieve otherwise unachievable results. ND filters appear grey and reduce the amount of light reaching the film/CCD. They have no effect on color balance. They have four main uses: 1) To enable slow shutter speeds to be used, especially with high speed films, to record movement in subjects such as waterfalls, clouds, or cars. 2) To decrease depth of field by allowing wider apertures to be used, which helps separate subjects from their background. 3) To decrease the effective ISO of high speed film (above ISO 400) and allow it to be used outdoors in bright situations. 4) To allow cine and video cameras (which have fixed shutter speeds) to film subjects such as snow, sand or other bright scenes which could cause overexposure.
    hmm sorry ah.. so we just attach the ND filter in front of the lens? but we will still need to look through the view finder to get the shot that we want right? soo, if that is the case, our eyes will not be protected? hmm ... and... if it reduces the amount of lights to reach the film/ ccd, wont your pic turn out to be dimer and stuffs?

hmm sorry ah.. so we just attach the ND filter in front of the lens? but we will still need to look through the view finder to get the shot that we want right?

Are you using DSLR? attach ND filter, the image from view finder will be darker

hmm ... and... if it reduces the amount of lights to reach the film/ ccd, wont your pic turn out to be dimer and stuffs?

No, ND filter reduces the light, your camera will automatic adjust the exposure .

Quote Originally Posted by nokia

Are you sure? use ND filter to shoot sunset or sunrise?

shooting sunset or sunrise don't need polarizer filters (someone use that before) or ND filter, if someone said gradual ND filters is useful, but also subjective.

For shooting sunrise or sunset, the most tricky thing is you need to know the time, and set up before that.

Second, is find a place that will make the composition of sunrise and sunset interesting.

Third, know where to take the meter reading, best bid is shoot on Manual Mode, using spot metering or center-weighted metering to measure the exposure of the area around the sun, but not include the sun. you can underexpose a little to make the image more dramatic.

Here are some crap pictures of sunrise at Punggol, sunset at Punggol, sunset at Changi Boardwalk, hope this helps.

Hi All.. !!

Why not? It can be as simple as that.

If you can look at it with the naked eye, it should also be ok with a camera. When the sun is so low that you get the colourful sunsets people like to photograph, it is already fairly dark.

Do we need a filter or something?
    You don't need a filter, although you can use one. But using a filter also increases the likelihood of ghost images and flare. A tripod might be more useful - the dusk just after the sun is below the horizon can be beautiful.

Back 2 yr main question, u CAN look thru the viewfinder but I will suggest dun meter yr exposure with the sun in full view (it will underexpose yr picture anyway). Use spot metering, meter the sky around the sun (be careful dun meter the clouds as well), lock your exposure settings, and recompose with the sun in view (dun take too long as it WILL damage yr eyes n camera sensor).

I got a sample for you 2 compare. Taken with manual settings, with a exposure compensation of -0.3EV.

If the above is too much of hassle, use filters as recommended by some.

Hope this will help in your future snapshots of sunrise/sunset!
    Last edited by moriahphotos; 25th April 2006 at 12:14 AM.

i just squint.
    sigh.

Hi All.. !!

that's right.. jus look through the view finder and take... but before that u've to wait for the sun to rise or set...

I ever snapped sunrise but at the side of the photo got an orange cast... somekind of flare or reflection.
    From Pentax to 4/3, back to Pentax and then back to M4/3 !?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Clown
    i just squint.

ok. shall follow your method. Most economical. wahahhaah !

AFAIK, the sunrise or sunset is ok to take without ND or polarizer filter. The intensity of light is much-much reduced already, especially if the sun is near the horizon. Or take the sky after the sun just disapear on the horizon. The colour of the sky is nice. Put your camera on the tripod is better.

Use Manual mode. Metering should be in between the sun and the sky. DSLR is a God send. You can try to take photo and preview it.

Haven't got a chance to do it on DSLR, but on film camera I do it several times.

Regards,
    Arto.