Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which debit card should I apply for?

Default Which debit card should I apply for?

I currently only have a POSB account and I intend to apply for a debit card, which will be useful especially whe I am going overseas in July and I need to make bookings for tickets or accom online.

Are there restrictions to debit cards? Cos I hear some have daily withdrawal limits and some cant be used overseas?

vince123123
    Guests

Default Re: Which debit card should I apply for?

Since you have a POSB account, a DBS debit card would be useful to you.

I'm not aware of any withdrawal limits - it appears that the limit depends on the amt of funds you have in the bank.

Debit cards SOMETIMES have problems going through when overseas, or when trying to withdraw cash, but unless you have a better alternative, its better than nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by boroangel
    I currently only have a POSB account and I intend to apply for a debit card, which will be useful especially whe I am going overseas in July and I need to make bookings for tickets or accom online.

Are there restrictions to debit cards? Cos I hear some have daily withdrawal limits and some cant be used overseas?

y should there be a problem...so long as its a master or visa debit...its the same thing aint it...

I am confused....are all debit cards visa or mastercard debit cards?

That would depend on the bank issueing. And i believe debit is linked to a bank account so you can only spend as much as you have in your account...
    Furry Photos - Photography for the Modern Pet

Some ATM machines and establishments dun accept debit cards. My army friends got some problems using their debit cards in ROC ex.

Want to withdraw money, its better to have the PLUS or Cirrus sign on your card i think. I know PLUS sure can. I withdraw before in HKG, ROC and Aust.

Edit:
    For online purchases, debit should have no prob i guess.
    Last edited by afbug; 23rd April 2006 at 09:56 PM.

I should be applying for a credit card by the end of the year....just need a debit card for convenience and also necessity when I go for a trip to Australia in July...cos making reservations for accomodation online need credit card although I not sure if they accept debit.....and also renting cars need to pay by debit or credit card there...

Withdrawing money with a debit card can be a bit tricky, even with Cirrus/Maestro or PLUS. In some countries, the ATM simply don't recognise your card as a debit card or a valid card for withdrawing cash even when they have the Cirrus sign on the machine.

Phildate
    Guests

Get HSBC - can use in Cold Storage and also get cashback - very useful when can't find ATM

You may want to check up on Capitacard. Not the Capitacard VISA which is a platinum credit card. Capitacard Mastercard is a platinum debit card.

Anyone got use a debit card in Australia to withdraw money and pay for things like car rental and accomodation? Tot first hand experience is best.

There is this new POSB GO! card, its a debit card, HOWEVER, it cant make online purchases, purchases can only be made in person present with the card.

Different Usage

In SG as either 1) Nets
    2) Master

Overseas as 1) Mastercard

Most ATM should be able to withdraw however a processing fee of 5 SGD is charged per transaction.

Have fun in aussie!

Smile Re: Which debit card should I apply for?

Anyone got use a debit card in Australia to withdraw money and pay for things like car rental and accomodation? Tot first hand experience is best.
    use UOB R card often at Melbourne..

withdrawing from ATM ( National and Bank of Melbourne AU$1k max @ day) , signing when shopping.. NO PROBLEM...
    Stress Man @ work... :bigeyes:

Always have an ATM card with Plus or Cirrus logo around in addition to a debit card. Safer.

my POSB debit card got no problem making purchase when i was in HK, Thailand and Taiwan. I can even use it to book hotel online for all these places.

The only time I got problem was making online purchase at an US merchant, even UOB debit card also cannot...in the end only a credit card manage to get thru
    We are HDD of PC & FT are MB add to storage;
    so PC never hangs with enormous storage capacity - LKY

POSB debit card, VISA or MASTERCARD is dependent on the bank issueing. Normally is a 2K max withdrawal limit per day, but adjustable according to your liking at any bank.

Depending on the countries, their local banks might not have Cirrus or Plus connections, eg JP. So withdrawing from the ATM might be a prob. Debit cards with the VISA or MC will have no prob when used at the stores. Online wise, I am not too sure, some sites might have probs as they require actual credit cards.

If u have a debt card that has only "plus" printed behind, u can only withdraw money form a "plus" network ATM overseas.
    If your debut card has cirrus, than u can only withdraw money form a "cirrus" network ATM overseas.
    This will work like taking a draft on a normal credit card.

However, it does not mean that ur DBS card will be able to withdraw money from a DBS ATM overseas. It depends on wether the ATM is "compatible" with your card. I experienced this problem when I was overseas. In the end, i had to go to a HSBC ATM just because the HSBC ATM is on the "cirrus" network while the DBS ATM was dont know on what network.

However, when u purchase things, the debit card will work the same way as a credit card. Just that your "credit limit" is what u have in your bank. And once a merchant brings a "charge" to your card, the bank will automatically "hold" the charged amount and u will not be touch it.

I have a POSB debit card. Which I have use it for my internet purchases, pay my bills, my oversea hotel bills, oversea shopping, get cash from oversea ATMs and pay for dinning in coutries like Thailand Indonesia Hong Kong Shanghai Taiwan Cambodia with no problem whatever. Of course you must have fund in the account that it is link to.

Well if POSB debit card got no prob in Australia then I going to apply for it liao. Dont quite like the idea of splitting my money into so many accounts for now.

Well if POSB debit card got no prob in Australia then I going to apply for it liao. Dont quite like the idea of splitting my money into so many accounts for now.
    AMEX debit/charge card?

regards,
    inf1d3l

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast