Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27

Thread: Chuando's interview in st

  1. #1

    Smile Chuando's interview in st

    let's talk about something related to photography.

    chuando's interview in st on mon, 17 April. i quote from the interview. 'fashion is something not a lot of people can understand. you either do or you don't. sad to say, there are a lot of people who don't understand it but are in it.' your views pls.

    note: his closest friends had advised him not to give this interview and 'to keep my mouth shut'.
    Last edited by reachme2003; 23rd April 2006 at 12:51 PM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    sing
    Posts
    3,353

    Default Re: Chuando's interview in st

    looked like a BLATANT free advert for mamiya.
    too little too late.
    mamiya was sold off already. cannot resurrect a dead horse.

    sorry, never heard of chuando before the news report.
    maybe because i am kampung suakoo.
    or he may be non-famous unaccomplished impostor claiming to be famous fashion photographer.
    hope he did not claim to be Singapore's best fashion photographer in the interview.

    he better not.

    many other top pros may laugh their heads off.
    Last edited by ricohflex; 24th April 2006 at 12:10 AM.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Chuando's interview in st

    Yea..have to agree with ya. Sigh the Mamiya ZD is a awesome camera. Hope to test it too.

    For those who have no idea who is Chuando, he is one of our top Fashion/Commercial Photographer in Singapore. He is also the owner of one of the top model agency in Singapore, Ave model agency, with models/celebrities such as Denise Keller, Serene Chew under him.

    http://www.avemanagement.com/

    You can see his works there as he shoots his own models.

    His works can be found easily in the ICON magazine.

    Back to the topic. I have to agree with CD for some of his comments. There are a lot of people who have little idea about fashion. I must admit I have no idea about fashion, even though I was shooting some fashion pictures (everything settled by the stylists/designers/art directors) until I got involved in the industry in the last 2 years. You get acquainted with designers, Principal Brand Press racks, fashion shows, fabrics, accesories etc. Why do designers do things this way and why are labels launching a collection like this etc. What are cutting? What is styling all about.

    However, I must encourage fellow photographers, especially those young ones who are interested in Fashion to do some research, understand fashion lingos, attend more fashion shows. We can only get better with more knowledge. Interact with the choreographers, stylists and designers. Ask them questions and learn from them.

    You dont have to be a famous photographer, just be a really good one.

    Cheers
    Last edited by Tuck Loong; 24th April 2006 at 12:48 AM.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Chuando's interview in st

    Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex
    looked like a BLATANT free advert for mamiya.
    too little too late.
    mamiya was sold off already. cannot resurrect a dead horse.

    sorry, never heard of chuando before the news report.
    maybe because i am kampung suakoo.
    or he may be non-famous unaccomplished impostor claiming to be famous fashion photographer.
    hope he did not claim to be Singapore's best fashion photographer in the interview.

    he better not.

    many other top pros may laugh their heads off.
    what rock are you living under?
    Chuando is one of singapore's top fashion photographers, together with wee khim
    he has a right to say such things about people not understanding fashion because chuando's work is meticulous with the details...makeup, styling, hairstyling. etc etc.

    I'm glad to read the interview because previously all I heard was not-very-favourable stuff about him but he seems like an alright guy, and who needs to talk when your work is such good stuff?

  5. #5

    Default Re: Chuando's interview in st

    Quote Originally Posted by mattlock
    what rock are you living under?
    Chuando is one of singapore's top fashion photographers, together with wee khim
    he has a right to say such things about people not understanding fashion because chuando's work is meticulous with the details...makeup, styling, hairstyling. etc etc.

    I'm glad to read the interview because previously all I heard was not-very-favourable stuff about him but he seems like an alright guy, and who needs to talk when your work is such good stuff?
    Find me a rock, I need to go and live underneath it. I have absolutely no idea who is Chuando, nor do I have any idea who Wee Khim is.

    One thing for sure, if I have to understand Chuando's work to understand fashion, I don't understand fashion, and that is absolutely ok with me.

    Another website, I should not visit website link posted on CS, but I did.

    Production quality, from photographic techniques to styling to make up, is very high, which is very important, but photography is more than that. To my eyes, the photographs exhibitd in the website lacks life, they do not reach out to touch the audience.
    Last edited by Deadpoet; 24th April 2006 at 08:06 AM.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Behind the viewfinder...
    Posts
    5,851

    Default Re: Chuando's interview in st

    wah.... how can anyone not know Chuan Do/ Wee Khim/ Mark Law's work....

  7. #7

    Default Re: Chuando's interview in st

    Quote Originally Posted by SniperD
    wah.... how can anyone not know Chuan Do/ Wee Khim/ Mark Law's work....
    There are so many things in this world. How can you expect everyone to know everything?
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

  8. #8
    Moderator nightwolf75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    really MORE diaper changes
    Posts
    17,844
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Chuando's interview in st

    Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet
    There are so many things in this world. How can you expect everyone to know everything?
    "What the deuce is it (the solar system) to me? You say that we go round the sun. If we went round the moon it would not make a pennyworth of difference to me or my work." - Sherlock Holmes in A Study in Scarlet
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Planet Eropagnis
    Posts
    2,944

    Default Re: Chuando's interview in st

    Quote Originally Posted by SniperD
    wah.... how can anyone not know Chuan Do/ Wee Khim/ Mark Law's work....
    Erm... I don't.

    As a matter of fact, I dun even know these 2 supposedly 'great photographers'.

    Am I gonna be sentenced to face a firing squad then?
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

  10. #10

    Default Re: Chuando's interview in st

    Quote Originally Posted by SniperD
    wah.... how can anyone not know Chuan Do/ Wee Khim/ Mark Law's work....
    I know I know! But dont know Mark Law though. Another good one I like is Geoff Ang..

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    270 degree of Singapore
    Posts
    6,741

    Default Re: Chuando's interview in st

    I don't know any of them although I enjoy shooting a few cat walk for fun . Probably should read more about the local fashion industry
    In most industries, there are always people who don't really understand in but still in it.
    Sony Alpha 700 hobbyist

  12. #12

    Smile Re: Chuando's interview in st

    sam, pls spare us such high brow stuff lah.

    Quote Originally Posted by nightwolf75
    "What the deuce is it (the solar system) to me? You say that we go round the sun. If we went round the moon it would not make a pennyworth of difference to me or my work." - Sherlock Holmes in A Study in Scarlet

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Sengkang
    Posts
    2,156

    Default Re: Chuando's interview in st

    Quote Originally Posted by reachme2003
    let's talk about something related to photography.

    chuando's interview in st on mon, 17 April. i quote from the interview. 'fashion is something not a lot of people can understand. you either do or you don't. sad to say, there are a lot of people who don't understand it but are in it.' your views pls.

    note: his closest friends had advised him not to give this interview and 'to keep my mouth shut'.
    does he post in ClubSnap?

  14. #14

    Smile Re: Chuando's interview in st

    i think so, remembered chuando's nick.

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Yeo
    does he post in ClubSnap?

  15. #15

    Default Re: Chuando's interview in st

    eh...

    actually geoff, weekhim, chuando and mark are pretty big names in the local photog industry...
    and their works i must say are great...

    some of u may not have heard of them before...but i'm sure u will recognize the print ads they have done...its all over man.... juz check out their websites...

    http://www.weekhim.com/

    http://web.mac.com/geoffang/iWeb/Site/Bio.html

    weekhims and geoff's site...

  16. #16

    Default Re: Chuando's interview in st

    Quote Originally Posted by Witness
    eh...

    actually geoff, weekhim, chuando and mark are pretty big names in the local photog industry...
    and their works i must say are great...

    some of u may not have heard of them before...but i'm sure u will recognize the print ads they have done...its all over man.... juz check out their websites...

    http://www.weekhim.com/

    http://web.mac.com/geoffang/iWeb/Site/Bio.html

    weekhims and geoff's site...
    Yea Yea.. Geoff is like my idol.. Hahaa..

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Some equitorial, tropical isle
    Posts
    2,398

    Default Re: Chuando's interview in st

    Wasn't Chuando a model in the early years...? Just wondering....

    Quote Originally Posted by precious.jas
    Yea Yea.. Geoff is like my idol.. Hahaa..
    Becoz he looks good??

  18. #18

    Default Re: Chuando's interview in st

    Quote Originally Posted by Zplus
    Wasn't Chuando a model in the early years...? Just wondering....



    Becoz he looks good??
    Yes, CD was a model before he turn into a photographer..

    Geoff ah? Yea, he's not bad looking but.. I love his work lah.

    Both CD and Geoff looks good lah

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    GEYLAND LOR 15 LO
    Posts
    1,159

    Thumbs down Re: Chuando's interview in st

    Quote Originally Posted by mattlock
    what rock are you living under?
    Chuando is one of singapore's top fashion photographers, together with wee khim
    he has a right to say such things about people not understanding fashion because chuando's work is meticulous with the details...makeup, styling, hairstyling. etc etc.

    I'm glad to read the interview because previously all I heard was not-very-favourable stuff about him but he seems like an alright guy, and who needs to talk when your work is such good stuff?
    Hey bro, dun pass comments like 'wat rock are you living under' la, very crude remarks le!
    Personally I dun find CD works interesting at all. My fav photographer are Jim Zuckerman, Helmut Newton, Henri Cartier Bresson, William Klein, Robert Capa. They dun even have to use digital to 'enhance' their works. To me, digital retouching is not photography, it is cheating.
    A top photographer use a Mamiya? Pls la...cannot afford Hasselblad is it?

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    sing
    Posts
    3,353

    Default Re: Chuando's interview in st

    oh, visited the site given of ave
    not too impressed
    nothing special

    really

    i am neutral as i do not know chuando and got nothing for or against him

    the photos in ave lack something that wee khim's (also visited the site given) seem to have

    guess to put a comparison, see the 2 photos (no need for colour, just B+W will do) of the really good photographers.
    now that's what I call good. These photos have a message and emotion.

    (edit) By the way these photojournalism subjects do not "pose" for the photographers like what paid models will do. So in both cases, I guess the great photographers just thanked the subjects for allowing them to record and document a part of their lives; and took the pictures as best as they could. With these limitations, both great photographers still found the angle to make the shot. (edit)


    Photo by W Eugene Smith of Japanese mother bathing her brain damaged daughter. Victim of mercury polluted rivers. The sensitivity of the photographer and respect he has for the devoted mother can be felt. He was also expressing his disgust with the big industrialists whose factories polluted the water. Terrific composition.

    Sebastiao Salgado photo of famine victims in Ethiopia. Also sends a social message. Great composition.
    Last edited by ricohflex; 25th April 2006 at 12:28 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •