Thread: Difference between a lens and a filter

Default Difference between a lens and a filter

as above

A lens is a device that exhibits magnification due to the refraction of light. This magnification can be positive (image gets larger) or negative (image gets smaller) depending on the design of the lens.

Many lenses are made up of a series of elements of differing refractive values, for example the Cooke Triplet, doublet and so on.

A filter is a device that selectively removes or adds to the original 'signal'. For example, a UV filter rejects most wavelengths of Ultra Violet light and stops them from reaching the film. A cross screen uses fine wire etching to 'add' diffaction spikes to a bright light source.
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

then i dont get it .......how does a close-up filter works then ?

Originally posted by BlueAngel
    It's a lens that magnifies the image scale before it reaches the camera lens.
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

Originally posted by Ian

It's a lens that magnifies the image scale before it reaches the camera lens.
    I think he's confused cause a "Close-up Filter" is actually a "Lens" which goes infront of the main lens.... heh.

Then there are those wide/tele adaptors for digital cameras which goes in front of the main lenses as well.... which adds to the confusion.

Regards
    CK

Midnight
    Guests

Originally posted by BlueAngel
    Although "close-up filter" is the common parlance for these things, as Ian and CK have pointed out, it is actually a lens, and indeed official sales catalogs and such will normally list these items as "close-up lenses".

To address the source of confusion CK mentioned, I prefer to describe close-up lenses, teleconverter lenses and the like as "auxiliary lenses", so it's a "close-up auxiliary lens" and a "teleconverter auxiliary lens" (though admittedly it's a bit of a mouthful )