Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Can Recommend? ARCHIVAL QUALITY DVDs

  1. #1
    Account Suspended
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Jurong West
    Posts
    138

    Question Can Recommend? ARCHIVAL QUALITY DVDs

    Hi All.

    I have "Mission Critical" video and photos that require the ultimate archival DVD solution.

    I need them to last a long time in a clean, dark, cool and dry environment.

    Any brand/product to recommend and where can I buy it locally?


  2. #2

    Default Re: Can Recommend? ARCHIVAL QUALITY DVDs

    either the purple fuji dvds....or now ....since the fujis really cant find...i'm over to sony +r

  3. #3

    Default Re: Can Recommend? ARCHIVAL QUALITY DVDs

    I don't think anyone will guarantee DVD media to be archival (do a google search on DVD & CD recordable media ... there are articles written about this).

    IMHO, the safest approach is probably to :

    1. Make 2 copies on different branded media (spreading the risk of bad batches, etc)
    2. Make a new copy every 12 months, doing a data verify every time

    Head over to HWZ or VR forums for more discussions on this. IMHO, media is cheap, data is priceless. Lots of copies, properly stored, is better than 0 copies.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Can Recommend? ARCHIVAL QUALITY DVDs

    Quote Originally Posted by arampan
    Hi All.

    I have "Mission Critical" video and photos that require the ultimate archival DVD solution.

    I need them to last a long time in a clean, dark, cool and dry environment.

    Any brand/product to recommend and where can I buy it locally?

    go to ATF at sim lim sq.
    they sell taiyo yuden. 50 pieces for $190.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Can Recommend? ARCHIVAL QUALITY DVDs

    I've given up on DVD's. If my experience with CD's is anything to go by, they last a couple of years at most. For my 250GB of data, I need 50-60 DVD's to backup. I now use external HDD's, which I find quite convenient compared to DVD's. And you don't have to worry about the media getting scratched etc.

  6. #6
    ClubSNAP Admin
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    ClubSNAP
    Posts
    667,073

    Default Re: Can Recommend? ARCHIVAL QUALITY DVDs



    http://www.kmpmedia.com/kodak-gold.html
    Kodak Gold Preservation CD/DVD

    When it has to last, turn to KODAK Preservation CDs and DVDs. The quality of these Gold discs is archival, meaning they are perfect for ensuring the long term integrity of your images, documents, and data.
    SUPERIOR PROTECTION: Extra tough triple scratch-resistant coating prevents damage and lost data! Superior protection from handling protects your memories and data during frequent usage.

    24 KARAT GOLD: Gold promotes longer disc life. Gold does not oxidize or break down; therefore data is preserved longer. Kodak Preservation CDs and DVDs use only 100% 24-Karat Gold.
    LIFETIME ARCHIVAL: Using superior burn technology, Kodak Preservation CDs have been tested under light and accelerated aging to preserve data, photos and documents 300 years with proper handling. Kodak Preservation DVDs have been tested to preserve data, photos and documents 80-100 years with proper handling.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Can Recommend? ARCHIVAL QUALITY DVDs

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon

    http://www.kmpmedia.com/kodak-gold.html
    Kodak Gold Preservation CD/DVD
    Hmm .. important question. Where can we get this? I don't think they are sold in Sim Lim or major IT stores in Singapore

  8. #8

    Default Re: Can Recommend? ARCHIVAL QUALITY DVDs

    Quote Originally Posted by sriram
    I've given up on DVD's. If my experience with CD's is anything to go by, they last a couple of years at most. For my 250GB of data, I need 50-60 DVD's to backup. I now use external HDD's, which I find quite convenient compared to DVD's. And you don't have to worry about the media getting scratched etc.
    I do agree with sriram on this point ... but in a slightly different context. Data that can't be retrieved easily/quickly will just frustrate you, and perhaps the best way is to have the data on external HDDs.

    That's what I've been doing for the last couple of years ... every so often, I just go and buy a new HDD that I stick into an external casing, and migrate the data from my old HDD to it. For the same price, you get more and more storage, which is good because our data increases as time passes, and many people are probably pack rats when it comes to things like this.

  9. #9
    Account Suspended
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Jurong West
    Posts
    138

    Default Re: Can Recommend? ARCHIVAL QUALITY DVDs

    Project is a time capsule.
    Air tight, water tight special container to be placed underground.
    Harddisk was considered but decided to go with DVDs
    10 years is a long time underground and heard that mechanical parts will get "frozen"


  10. #10

    Default Re: Can Recommend? ARCHIVAL QUALITY DVDs

    If this is the case, then why not go "kiasee" over it ? Multiple media formats ... DVD, CD (if the data can fit), tape ... exactly how much data are we talking about here ?

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    sing
    Posts
    3,353

    Default Re: Can Recommend? ARCHIVAL QUALITY DVDs

    national archives use microfilm and tape for good reasons
    but these must be kept in proper controlled humidity and temperature.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Jurong Lake District - West
    Posts
    897

    Default Re: Can Recommend? ARCHIVAL QUALITY DVDs

    Quote Originally Posted by anka
    go to ATF at sim lim sq.
    they sell taiyo yuden. 50 pieces for $190.
    hmmm i went there last nite but dont have...

  13. #13
    Account Suspended
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Jurong West
    Posts
    138

    Default Re: Can Recommend? ARCHIVAL QUALITY DVDs

    Quote Originally Posted by ericp
    If this is the case, then why not go "kiasee" over it ? Multiple media formats ... DVD, CD (if the data can fit), tape ... exactly how much data are we talking about here ?
    time capsule not so big lei...

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Bedok
    Posts
    716

    Default Re: Can Recommend? ARCHIVAL QUALITY DVDs

    Quote Originally Posted by anka
    go to ATF at sim lim sq.
    they sell taiyo yuden. 50 pieces for $190.
    That is grossly overpriced even if it's THAT'S DVD-R.

    Buying from ACCA Products and shipping via Vpost (add 8%- 9% for Cal taxes & 3% for Paypal International) for TY media will still end up cheaper than local Fujifilm TY media when buying in slightly larger quantities.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Can Recommend? ARCHIVAL QUALITY DVDs

    it is not the DVD that cost.. it's the shipping I bought Matsui Gold DVD +R 100 pieces for USD$199. the shipping via vpost cost me $120+

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Bedok
    Posts
    716

    Default Re: Can Recommend? ARCHIVAL QUALITY DVDs

    Quote Originally Posted by anka
    it is not the DVD that cost.. it's the shipping I bought Matsui Gold DVD +R 100 pieces for USD$199. the shipping via vpost cost me $120+
    That's odd.
    So far, all the TY DVD shipping charges for MO's have been very cheap.
    S$75 for 5 spindles of 100 pieces each to ship via Vpost to Sg.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Can Recommend? ARCHIVAL QUALITY DVDs

    Quote Originally Posted by Firefox
    That's odd.
    So far, all the TY DVD shipping charges for MO's have been very cheap.
    S$75 for 5 spindles of 100 pieces each to ship via Vpost to Sg.
    from japan or US?

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Bedok
    Posts
    716

    Default Re: Can Recommend? ARCHIVAL QUALITY DVDs

    Quote Originally Posted by anka
    from japan or US?
    From US.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •