Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Photo printers?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Western SG
    Posts
    1,537

    Default Photo printers?

    Thinking of printing A4/8R photo from my c4040.

    What printers are you using for your big prints.

    I know CK uses his Epson, what about others?

    Please share experience as I'm thinking is it worth to get a new printer or just pay more by sending to the lab.
    Last edited by Snowcrash; 11th December 2002 at 04:23 PM.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Western SG
    Posts
    1,537

    Default

    Canon S8xx
    Epson 830?
    HP 9xx series??


  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    6,405

    Default Re: Photo printers?

    Originally posted by Snowcrash
    Thinking of printing A4/8R photo from my c4040.

    What printers are you using for your big prints.

    I know CK uses his Epson, what about others?

    Please share experience as I'm thinking is it worth to get a new printer or just pay more by sending to the lab.
    For 4R stuff, it's cheaper to send to the lab. For 8R and beyond, it's cheaper to print yourself. But if you don't print much, you can do the lab route.

    I highly recommend the Epsons. But stay away from Lexmarks. 2 change of cartridges on the Lexmark and get you a new printer.

    Regards
    CK

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Anywhere
    Posts
    490

    Default Re: Re: Photo printers?

    Originally posted by ckiang


    For 4R stuff, it's cheaper to send to the lab. For 8R and beyond, it's cheaper to print yourself. But if you don't print much, you can do the lab route.

    I highly recommend the Epsons. But stay away from Lexmarks. 2 change of cartridges on the Lexmark and get you a new printer.

    Regards
    CK
    Does Epson ink still fade over time like those older models?

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    6,405

    Default Re: Re: Re: Photo printers?

    Originally posted by shutterbug


    Does Epson ink still fade over time like those older models?
    I don't display my stuff (I keep them in a clear folder) so they pretty much don't fade.

    Regards
    CK

  6. #6

    Default

    The canon S800 at $299 is a good buy I'd say. I've got one myself. I'd never buy an Epson again, irregardless of what other pple say :|, but that's just me, Had 3 of them died of the same cause.

    Yeah, and don't buy that Lexmark, the ink will kill you flat.

    Regards,
    JK

  7. #7
    kenneth
    Guests

    Default

    Originally posted by tanjk
    The canon S800 at $299 is a good buy I'd say. I've got one myself. I'd never buy an Epson again, irregardless of what other pple say :|, but that's just me, Had 3 of them died of the same cause.

    Yeah, and don't buy that Lexmark, the ink will kill you flat.

    Regards,
    JK
    was thinking of getting an epson 830... what is the "cause of death" for your previous epson printers?

  8. #8

    Default

    Originally posted by kenneth


    was thinking of getting an epson 830... what is the "cause of death" for your previous epson printers?
    I'd thought all prospective Epson buyers will know , it's the clogging of the print head. But then again, that's just my POV, and relatively speaking, it's an ancient model, the Stylus 600. They just last slightly more than a year, enough to survive the warraty period. Do a bit of research, you'll find that it's quite a common problem. There's even a website dedicated to solving the problem (sorry couldn't remember the URL off hand).

    I think recently in HWZ, someone mentioned that you can buy 3rd party solution liquid to shampoo the heads ....

    Regards,
    JK

  9. #9

    Default

    i replaced my epson 750 with a canon s800 this year. I changed it because it was old, but yes, it also had a clogging problem.

    It may be that the more expensive epson models like the 890/895 are more trouble free. But for budget models like 830 - you just have to ask where they cut the corners

  10. #10
    kenneth
    Guests

    Default

    oic. thanks for the clog update... hmm....

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Western SG
    Posts
    1,537

    Default

    Originally posted by tanjk
    The canon S800 at $299 is a good buy I'd say. I've got one myself. I'd never buy an Epson again, irregardless of what other pple say :|, but that's just me, Had 3 of them died of the same cause.

    Yeah, and don't buy that Lexmark, the ink will kill you flat.

    Regards,
    JK
    so where to get the s800 at that price?

    what about HP7150??

    Singnet broadband have promotion on it for S199

  12. #12

    Default

    Originally posted by Snowcrash


    so where to get the s800 at that price?

    what about HP7150??

    Singnet broadband have promotion on it for S199
    You can try PK @ funan, or Superpet at SLS, bought mine at Superpet for S$299, and some guys here bought theirs at PK. Can also try South-Asia, but I dunno their price.

    Production has stopped for the S800, being replaced by the S820, which IMHO is similar to S800 except for borderless printing, though much more ex.

    I think there may still be limited stocks in some stores, but may have to do a bit of hunting.


    -ptl-

  13. #13

    Default

    The HP 7150 is not too bad a printer. Economical price i would say. HP has improved its PhotoRET IV over its predecessor by quite a bit. I'm not sure about the longevity of the prints as I have only owned the printer for 1 month. Maybe you can try to get some more information from dpreview's printer forum.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    6,405

    Default

    Originally posted by erwinx
    i replaced my epson 750 with a canon s800 this year. I changed it because it was old, but yes, it also had a clogging problem.

    It may be that the more expensive epson models like the 890/895 are more trouble free. But for budget models like 830 - you just have to ask where they cut the corners
    At that expensive $37 black cartridge that you mentioned in another thread lor!!

    Regards
    CK

  15. #15

    Default

    Originally posted by Snowcrash


    so where to get the s800 at that price?

    what about HP7150??

    Singnet broadband have promotion on it for S199
    I got mine at PK while I still see SuperPet listing the printer at $299. PK gives me a free USB cable, $5 macs voucher + 50 sheets of 90GSM paper for my effort to help them clear stock

    It has since stopped production, replaced by the S820. I spoke to one of the Canon demonstrator at Sitex and he can't tell me what's the diff besides the borderless stuff. They use the same ink (not sure if it's the same head!) so quality wise I don't see any difference. I can't justify the $200+ price diff so I got the S800. Happy man

    Regards,
    JK

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    258

    Default

    does anyone know the quality of HP PSC750? the one that has scanner built in as well. Starhub having promotion for anyone with 500 pts (with scv) + $180, worth buying????

  17. #17

    Default

    Originally posted by Perry
    does anyone know the quality of HP PSC750? the one that has scanner built in as well. Starhub having promotion for anyone with 500 pts (with scv) + $180, worth buying????
    I would not recommend this printer for photos. With existing technology, for good decent pictures you should be looking at those with at least 6 colour tanks.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •