Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 54 of 54

Thread: Almost a Canongrapher... But... Nikon has nice prices...

  1. #41

    Default Re: Almost a Canongrapher... But... Nikon has nice prices...

    Quote Originally Posted by Ihsan Chua
    I wish to ask u a question. How many photos do u take approximately in a week?
    Quality outweighs Quantity

  2. #42
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Clementi West
    Posts
    226

    Default Re: Almost a Canongrapher... But... Nikon has nice prices...

    Quote Originally Posted by nightwolf75
    pray tell how is dat relevant? does taking thousands of pics a week make one qualified to speak? to paraphrase ansel adams - there's nothing worse than a sharp picture of a fuzzy idea.

    if u intend to mean that taking thousands of pics a week means one is qualified, then makes me really wonder abt u. if u are really a working event shooter as u claim to be, the questions u are asking here and ur subsequent comments are laughable, to say the least.
    I am questioning because I want to check whether your suggestions and comments are really viable. If you are really in my situation, the solution that u propose may be viable. THen I would find out how exactly u managed all the workflow. To me, I see the advantages of using certain techniques but time is an issue.

    As to your question whether I am really a working event shooter, I am.

  3. #43
    Moderator Clown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,779

    Default Re: Almost a Canongrapher... But... Nikon has nice prices...

    Quote Originally Posted by Ihsan Chua
    I am questioning because I want to check whether your suggestions and comments are really viable. If you are really in my situation, the solution that u propose may be viable. THen I would find out how exactly u managed all the workflow. To me, I see the advantages of using certain techniques but time is an issue.

    As to your question whether I am really a working event shooter, I am.
    arguing here wont give u more work or money.. try everything yourself and determine what's good for yourself.

    throwing mud at people not only gets your hands dirty. it also make you lose a lot of ground.
    sigh.

  4. #44
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Clementi West
    Posts
    226

    Default Re: Almost a Canongrapher... But... Nikon has nice prices...

    Quote Originally Posted by Clown
    arguing here wont give u more work or money.. try everything yourself and determine what's good for yourself.

    throwing mud at people not only gets your hands dirty. it also make you lose a lot of ground.

    See your point. Never intend to throw mud at pp though. It is just a bit frustrating. Forums are meant for pp to gain knowledge. Somehow I noticed the forum seems to always go off track. Sometimes defeat the purpose it was intended

  5. #45
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    The heart of the Abyss
    Posts
    2,307

    Default Re: Almost a Canongrapher... But... Nikon has nice prices...

    Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay
    I don't know what you are trying to prove. I'm not a walking Nikon encylopedia but I've read from here about D lenses sending distance information. I know some ppl have something against KRW, which I'm not sure what but I'm not into politics, but I trust the info there is correct.
    If you had tried to answer my question instead of using KRW (who I have no opinion on), you will know that all current AF lenses provide distance information. The issue of providing distance information is irrelevant.
    Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay
    My P&S? Fujifilm F11. Go borrow one and try it out. In that case, I do not have to prove authencity and provide crops. The proof of the pie is in the eating? F10 will do also, becos it's essentially the same cam with some software upgrade.
    Well, you made the claim, it is your responsibility to prove it. Otherwise, I can claim that the moon is made up of chalk and blue cheese and others are supposed to believe me?
    Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay
    I have no idea why you think I hate Nikon. I just do not have any loyalty to any brand of equipment I buy/use. Brand loyalty doesn't pay my rice bowl. Does that mean I hate Nikon? Maybe I have accidentally stepped on your toes somewhere previously or you might just have something personal against me? (becos I'm not as loyal?)
    I have nothing personal against you but you seem to project all these issues onto others. Your posts speaks for themselves.

  6. #46

    Default Re: Almost a Canongrapher... But... Nikon has nice prices...

    Quote Originally Posted by Ihsan Chua
    I also kena in another forum. People shooting me down because I said I dun want post processing. Accused me of this and that. I have never said I hated Nikon. I am just neutral. Whatever camera serves my needs will do. I only ask for consistency in reading and they accused me of wanting a perfect cam. Really a forum is for people to build each others knowledge. Dun know what is happening to this pp.
    Nothing wrong about not wanting post processing. I don't post process my images unless I really have to. But when you make claims, be sure that you are able to justify those claims. Don't regurgitate what other people mentioned because they may not be right.

    Yes, the forum is for people to exchange information but of course it should not be misinformation. I'd rather not have information which can be misleading. If it's something you're not sure of, it's better not to say it until you have tried it out.

  7. #47

    Default Re: Almost a Canongrapher... But... Nikon has nice prices...

    Quote Originally Posted by Ihsan Chua
    I wish to ask u a question. How many photos do u take approximately in a week?
    And by asking that question, how would that help you improve? Are you genuinely here to learn by exchanging information or do you have other agenda? You could have just PMed him, right?
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 25th April 2006 at 11:47 AM.

  8. #48
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Clementi West
    Posts
    226

    Default Re: Almost a Canongrapher... But... Nikon has nice prices...

    Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon
    And by asking that question, how would that help you improve? Are you genuinely here to learn by exchanging information or do you have other agenda? You could have just PMed him, right?

    Not sensitive enough. Never thought of sensitivity issue. No hiddden agenda. Really want to know pp's workflow and how they managed the workflow. If the person really have large volumes of photo to process every week and he is not jammed by the workflow. Definitely there is something to learn. To me, I will only take raw files during Group Photography as Group Photography is usually taken under ambient lighting or large halls. Cannot afford the noise and grain to spoil photos. Events seldom though.

  9. #49

    Default Re: Almost a Canongrapher... But... Nikon has nice prices...

    Quote Originally Posted by Ihsan Chua
    Not sensitive enough. Never thought of sensitivity issue. No hiddden agenda. Really want to know pp's workflow and how they managed the workflow. If the person really have large volumes of photo to process every week and he is not jammed by the workflow. Definitely there is something to learn. To me, I will only take raw files during Group Photography as Group Photography is usually taken under ambient lighting or large halls. Cannot afford the noise and grain to spoil photos. Events seldom though.
    Like I mentioned, it really depends on where your image is going to end up. eg, how big do you need to blow your group photos? Even for large prints, I seldom find a need to shoot RAW. JPG compression inherently smooths noise out, so you'll find that at ISO800, JPG is cleaner than RAW.

    Although I shoot mostly at the lowest ISO, there are time when I need to push up the ISO to 800 also, and if you notice, these noise will only be visible at 100% zoom on the computer monitor which is about 100dpi. For D200, 10 MP to play with and that's already much higher than a 16-base film scan. If you take the 10mp image and drop the resolution down to 5 or 6 mp, you will find the noise is much reduced because of the averaging.

    Similarly, if you shoot at 5mp instead of 10mp on the D200, you will get much less noise. This might be the workflow you might like to adopt instead.

    Maybe it would be good to let us know the target output size you're looking at so that we are able to give you some comments.

  10. #50

    Default Re: Almost a Canongrapher... But... Nikon has nice prices...

    I think the world is divided into 2 sorts of people..

    Those who have fallen into either the canon or nikon camp.
    And those who want to go canon/ Nikon and haven’t decided.
    (ok I know there are brands apart from these two… but lets not complicate matters).

    Clearly, the fact that you are asking, means you have not decided….
    Just to be clear, im a canon user, always have been, always will be. Do I think Nikons are bad cameras? No. not by a long shot. They are fantastic cameras. As good in every way, if not better in some respects, than canons.

    Ok, some armchair critics will say, Nikon has better metering. Those on the canon side will say – canon has better noise performance and mirror lock up…
    in terms of cost, both are similar when you compare like for like.
    But what it boils down to is this, if you are new to photography, the differences that are bandied about on the web, and in reviews, and by all the armchair critics, are really splitting hairs. Even the pros – will happily concede that both will give equally good pictures.. its all down to the user.

    I cant even explain why I prefer a canon to a Nikon… its just that I do. In a sense, and without wanting to blaspheme, once u make a choice, its almost like a religious conversion…

    So, really, don’t fall for any arguments that one is better than the other. They are both, (again, assuming you are comparing like for like) damn good cameras and both ranges have won countless awards…

    So what im trying to say I guess, is that nothing anyone says here, should convince you..

    As someone mentioned above, the best thing you can do, is go down to the shops and handle both of them. And I mean really handle them… shoot some pictures… even better, borrow a friends Nikon and borrow a friends Canon.

    Because im quite sure, that once u get familiar with either one of them…. You will find yourself gravitating to one or the other (and it could be for the smallest reason i.e. u like the colour of the menus in the canon or some other thing).

    Doesn’t matter at the end of the day. you are making a good choice either way. And only you can make that choice.

    .. once you make your choice, in a sense, unless you are exceedingly rich, it’s a lifetime choice… because of the lens systems , accessories etc that you may acquire down the road..

    So choose carefully.

    one last thing... cost of the body of the camera, is actually something that should not really influence your decision. this is because bodies, you will upgrade.. in 5 years time, maybe 15 megapixels might be standard. or even more! but lenses, will keep and reuse. the one thing that surprised me when i got into DSLRs, was that a lot of lenses, in fact cost more than the body. so the body is actually of relatively little consequence.

    sure the D50 may be cheap.... but do take a look at the long term... and if for example you think maybe some day, you would like to have your hands on a canon mk 1..... then that is something you should take into account. (and vice versa of course)
    Last edited by jdredd; 25th April 2006 at 05:48 PM.

  11. #51
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Clementi West
    Posts
    226

    Default Re: Almost a Canongrapher... But... Nikon has nice prices...

    Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon
    Like I mentioned, it really depends on where your image is going to end up. eg, how big do you need to blow your group photos? Even for large prints, I seldom find a need to shoot RAW. JPG compression inherently smooths noise out, so you'll find that at ISO800, JPG is cleaner than RAW.

    Although I shoot mostly at the lowest ISO, there are time when I need to push up the ISO to 800 also, and if you notice, these noise will only be visible at 100% zoom on the computer monitor which is about 100dpi. For D200, 10 MP to play with and that's already much higher than a 16-base film scan. If you take the 10mp image and drop the resolution down to 5 or 6 mp, you will find the noise is much reduced because of the averaging.

    Similarly, if you shoot at 5mp instead of 10mp on the D200, you will get much less noise. This might be the workflow you might like to adopt instead.

    Maybe it would be good to let us know the target output size you're looking at so that we are able to give you some comments.
    Based on usual requirement of 1 event - 4R, Min of 1 8R. If customer wants, then 18 by 12.
    For certain projects, require A1 Prints. A1 Prints usually get it 3 to 4 times per year.

  12. #52
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Clementi West
    Posts
    226

    Default Re: Almost a Canongrapher... But... Nikon has nice prices...

    Quote Originally Posted by jdredd
    I think the world is divided into 2 sorts of people..

    Those who have fallen into either the canon or nikon camp.
    And those who want to go canon/ Nikon and haven’t decided.
    (ok I know there are brands apart from these two… but lets not complicate matters).

    Clearly, the fact that you are asking, means you have not decided….
    Just to be clear, im a canon user, always have been, always will be. Do I think Nikons are bad cameras? No. not by a long shot. They are fantastic cameras. As good in every way, if not better in some respects, than canons.

    Ok, some armchair critics will say, Nikon has better metering. Those on the canon side will say – canon has better noise performance and mirror lock up…
    in terms of cost, both are similar when you compare like for like.
    But what it boils down to is this, if you are new to photography, the differences that are bandied about on the web, and in reviews, and by all the armchair critics, are really splitting hairs. Even the pros – will happily concede that both will give equally good pictures.. its all down to the user.

    I cant even explain why I prefer a canon to a Nikon… its just that I do. In a sense, and without wanting to blaspheme, once u make a choice, its almost like a religious conversion…

    So, really, don’t fall for any arguments that one is better than the other. They are both, (again, assuming you are comparing like for like) damn good cameras and both ranges have won countless awards…

    So what im trying to say I guess, is that nothing anyone says here, should convince you..

    As someone mentioned above, the best thing you can do, is go down to the shops and handle both of them. And I mean really handle them… shoot some pictures… even better, borrow a friends Nikon and borrow a friends Canon.

    Because im quite sure, that once u get familiar with either one of them…. You will find yourself gravitating to one or the other (and it could be for the smallest reason i.e. u like the colour of the menus in the canon or some other thing).

    Doesn’t matter at the end of the day. you are making a good choice either way. And only you can make that choice.

    .. once you make your choice, in a sense, unless you are exceedingly rich, it’s a lifetime choice… because of the lens systems , accessories etc that you may acquire down the road..

    So choose carefully.

    one last thing... cost of the body of the camera, is actually something that should not really influence your decision. this is because bodies, you will upgrade.. in 5 years time, maybe 15 megapixels might be standard. or even more! but lenses, will keep and reuse. the one thing that surprised me when i got into DSLRs, was that a lot of lenses, in fact cost more than the body. so the body is actually of relatively little consequence.

    sure the D50 may be cheap.... but do take a look at the long term... and if for example you think maybe some day, you would like to have your hands on a canon mk 1..... then that is something you should take into account. (and vice versa of course)
    I am very sure of how Canon 30D can perform. Quite a few friends using 10D or 20D. JUst no D200 for me to try. Reason for me not choosing 30D immediately is I like Nikon's sharpness and its body controls. I noticed that the last few posts is giving me more insight to my questions. Really hope that it will not go off track again. Very irritating

  13. #53
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Planet Nikon
    Posts
    21,905

    Default Re: Almost a Canongrapher... But... Nikon has nice prices...

    Quote Originally Posted by Ihsan Chua
    I noticed that the last few posts is giving me more insight to my questions. Really hope that it will not go off track again. Very irritating
    Wahahahahaha...

    Gold 90FM - Hear only the good stuff

    How true it is!

  14. #54

    Default Re: Almost a Canongrapher... But... Nikon has nice prices...

    Quote Originally Posted by Ihsan Chua
    Based on usual requirement of 1 event - 4R, Min of 1 8R. If customer wants, then 18 by 12.
    For certain projects, require A1 Prints. A1 Prints usually get it 3 to 4 times per year.
    ISO800 noise shouldn't be a problem for 8R prints. When you need to go A1, then you should use a lower ISO and make the best of the situation (you would do the same for film, people shoot on ISO50 slides if they need to make huge prints). D200 is able to give you good direct outputs most of the time. In fact I was impressed by it the first time I shot with it. The only drawback I find is the high power consumption so you'll definitely need more batteries. I would also recommend the MB-D200. Somehow it feels more balanced with it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •