Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Almost a Canongrapher... But... Nikon has nice prices...

Default Re: Almost a Canongrapher... But... Nikon has nice prices...

a good photographer can make any camera become pro. a pro camera does not make one a god photographer.

get what you like best, go down to the shop, test cameras from either brand, and find one that you like best
    eat. drink. shoot

Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay
    Nikon flash distance calculation works only if you are using a D lens if i'm not wrong. Canon also takes distance into account with the new eTTL2 metering system. Noise on the D70 is a bit over whelming for me at 800 already. My P&S can do better than that.
    Tell me which current Nikon lens does not send distance info. Please show the image taken at ISO 800 for both your D70 and P&S (and the model, please) for us to see your point... Frankly since you hate Nikon so much, why don't you switch then?
    Last edited by Watcher; 22nd April 2006 at 04:24 PM.

hmmmm?
    TTL metering?

Deregistered

I only know when I got my ex-D100 is, buy liao shoot. Other things can worry later.

i was inbetween nikon and canon when i got my first body, but i've got canon mainly because i have quite a few friends using canon bodies. borrowing, and sharing lens/accessories would be alot easier =)

like wise, i think for most starters, this should be a major consideration point =)

Quote Originally Posted by Watcher
    Tell me which current Nikon lens does not send distance info. Please show the image taken at ISO 800 for both your D70 and P&S (and the model, please) for us to see your point... Frankly since you hate Nikon so much, why don't you switch then?
    cool man, dun think this guy hates nikon but merely stating his opinion about nikon dslr. if he has commented on the negative points abt canon, does that make him a nikon fan

to the thread starter, it is the man behind the camera that makes the difference. u haf to PS your photos no matter what body u using from minolta to olyumpus.

I am a Nikon 70s user. I agree that ISO 800 noise level is terrible. Try blowing up a photo taken in low light and u will see the noise. Try the following test area when u take. High ceiling area like multi purpose hall About 3 storeys high. Get someone wearing blue or black. Observe the clothes and u will notice the little red spots when u print out 8R photos.

About the distance calculation, it definitely works. I wonder where the info was from where it indicate that it will only work with D lens. But when I use D70s, I can't be bothered with TTL. I used full manual settings. Gives me better results anytime.

Quote Originally Posted by IForYou
    Hey I'm new to photography and DSLRs...

top of the range Nikkors vs L lenses...
    the 18-200 Nikkor is quite a good walk around lens that Nikon has and Canon doesn't... *drools*
    Dun get the 18 - 200 lens. It will vignette like mad when u shoot wide. The kit lens 18 - 70 is a general purpose lens that is gd enough. If I am correct, it is better than the Tamron. If you are interested, you can buy mine 18 to 70 as I intend to buy another better lens.

Quote Originally Posted by Ihsan Chua
    Dun get the 18 - 200 lens. It will vignette like mad when u shoot wide. The kit lens 18 - 70 is a general purpose lens that is gd enough. If I am correct, it is better than the Tamron. If you are interested, you can buy mine 18 to 70 as I intend to buy another better lens.
    If you're talking about the 18-200VR, on the contrary, you get more vignetting at the tele end than the wide end but it's not like mad..

18mm.

200mm.
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 24th April 2006 at 04:31 PM.

Think of system cost and suitablity and not just the price of the body and 1 single "the" lens.
    As you progress further, u might tind that "the" lens is actually not up to ur standard, and u wan something better.

For the cannon system, if u wan 18-200, you can consider a Sigma 18-200. It is available in canon mount. It is about 1/3 the price of the Nikon, but of course, u cannot expect the Sigma Lens to perform as well as the Nikon Lens without reasonable skills.

I am in the midst of choosing D200 and Canon 30D. Difficult as both have their pros and cons.

But to answer your question, these are based on what my photo developer from a lab and some professional photographers say and also what I experienced.

Canon - 350D has better noise control and nicer skin tones. However, image is softer. The feel is very plastic and light.
    Nikon - D50 has nicer skin tones than D70s. However D70s has more contrast and image is crispier. Outdoor is better. D70s feels solid.

As for Nikon 18 to 70 mm 3.5 to 4.5 aperture lens (kit lens). Good for general shoots but perform badly under low light. Feel brownish tinge

To fit with Nikon D70s, must fit Sigma EX DC series to get rid of brownish tinge as the lens skewed towards blue and red. Bring out strong highlights. Do you have a email? Sent u some pics to show u the difference between the 2 types of photos taken from D70s kit and Sigma lens.

Canon looks soft on computer while Niikon images looks right on computer. If sent to photo developing shops and develop 4R photos, you will not tell the difference unless you blow up. Will provide a bit more suggestions later.
    I think you've got the reverse about Sigma and Nikon lenses. Nikkors are much more neutral while Sigmas tends to be a bit on the warm side.

Quote Originally Posted by Ren_Hao
    Think of system cost and suitablity and not just the price of the body and 1 single "the" lens.
    As you progress further, u might tind that "the" lens is actually not up to ur standard, and u wan something better.

For the cannon system, if u wan 18-200, you can consider a Sigma 18-200. It is available in canon mount. It is about 1/3 the price of the Nikon, but of course, u cannot expect the Sigma Lens to perform as well as the Nikon Lens without reasonable skills.
    If value for money is a concern, then the D50 body with the Sigma 18-200 (F-mount) would be more economical.

I am a Nikon 70s user. I agree that ISO 800 noise level is terrible. Try blowing up a photo taken in low light and u will see the noise. Try the following test area when u take. High ceiling area like multi purpose hall About 3 storeys high. Get someone wearing blue or black. Observe the clothes and u will notice the little red spots when u print out 8R photos.

About the distance calculation, it definitely works. I wonder where the info was from where it indicate that it will only work with D lens. But when I use D70s, I can't be bothered with TTL. I used full manual settings. Gives me better results anytime.
    Then using 350D will not make you happy. Look at DPReview's result comparing both the luminance and chroma noise here at the bottom. Chroma noise, the D70 wins out 350D after IS 400, while for luminance noise, it is slightly more (about 0.4 SD) than 350D.

So 6 on one hand and half of a dozen on the other. Which is more?

As for where the info about the D lens came from? The manual.
    Last edited by Watcher; 24th April 2006 at 06:01 PM.

I don't know what you are trying to prove. I'm not a walking Nikon encylopedia but I've read from here about D lenses sending distance information. I know some ppl have something against KRW, which I'm not sure what but I'm not into politics, but I trust the info there is correct.

My P&S? Fujifilm F11. Go borrow one and try it out. In that case, I do not have to prove authencity and provide crops. The proof of the pie is in the eating? F10 will do also, becos it's essentially the same cam with some software upgrade.

I have no idea why you think I hate Nikon. I just do not have any loyalty to any brand of equipment I buy/use. Brand loyalty doesn't pay my rice bowl. Does that mean I hate Nikon? Maybe I have accidentally stepped on your toes somewhere previously or you might just have something personal against me? (becos I'm not as loyal?)
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay
    I don't know what you are trying to prove. I'm not a walking Nikon encylopedia but I've read from here about D lenses sending distance information. I know some ppl have something against KRW, which I'm not sure what but I'm not into politics, but I trust the info there is correct.

My P&S? Fujifilm F11. Go borrow one and try it out. In that case, I do not have to prove authencity and provide crops. The proof of the pie is in the eating? F10 will do also, becos it's essentially the same cam with some software upgrade.

I have no idea why you think I hate Nikon. I just do not have any loyalty to any brand of equipment I buy/use. Brand loyalty doesn't pay my rice bowl. Does that mean I hate Nikon? Maybe I have accidentally stepped on your toes somewhere previously or you might just have something personal against me? (becos I'm not as loyal?)
    I also kena in another forum. People shooting me down because I said I dun want post processing. Accused me of this and that. I have never said I hated Nikon. I am just neutral. Whatever camera serves my needs will do. I only ask for consistency in reading and they accused me of wanting a perfect cam. Really a forum is for people to build each others knowledge. Dun know what is happening to this pp.

Deregistered

I only ask for consistency in reading and they accused me of wanting a perfect cam. Really a forum is for people to build each others knowledge. Dun know what is happening to this pp.
    Yeah, but to build someone's knowledge, one needs to be receptive and learn to see things in a different way, you just happen to not be receptive and refuse to see things in a new light.

When one forum bashes you isn't enough, but when two or more bash you simultaenously, isn't time for you to do some self-reflection and ponder over why rather than keep insisting you're not getting any knowledge & information that's relevant to your question?

Continue to "Gold 90FM - Hear only the good stuff" and you'll remain forever in this stage at this level and never understand or grow.

And quit complaining, you're complaining about your own faults & inability to learn. That we don't need to know.
    Last edited by espn; 24th April 2006 at 09:07 PM.

I also kena in another forum. People shooting me down because I said I dun want post processing. Accused me of this and that. I have never said I hated Nikon. I am just neutral. Whatever camera serves my needs will do. I only ask for consistency in reading and they accused me of wanting a perfect cam. Really a forum is for people to build each others knowledge. Dun know what is happening to this pp.
    It takes 2 hands to clap, not one.

Quote Originally Posted by espn
    Yeah, but to build someone's knowledge, one needs to be receptive and learn to see things in a different way, you just happen to not be receptive and refuse to see things in a new light.

When one forum bashes you isn't enough, but when two or more bash you simultaenously, isn't time for you to do some self-reflection and ponder over why rather than keep insisting you're not getting any knowledge & information that's relevant to your question?

Continue to "Gold 90FM - Hear only the good stuff" and you'll remain forever in this stage at this level and never understand or grow.

And quit complaining, you're complaining about your own faults & inability to learn. That we don't need to know.
    I wish to ask u a question. How many photos do u take approximately in a week?

Deregistered

If it's of any relevance to the thread & your inquisitiveness - More than the number of words you've typed on the forum for the past 2 days.

Blog Entries

pray tell how is dat relevant? does taking thousands of pics a week make one qualified to speak? to paraphrase ansel adams - there's nothing worse than a sharp picture of a fuzzy idea.

if u intend to mean that taking thousands of pics a week means one is qualified, then makes me really wonder abt u. if u are really a working event shooter as u claim to be, the questions u are asking here and ur subsequent comments are laughable, to say the least.
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed.” ― Deeksha Mittal

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast