Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not again ....

Default Not again ....

http://www.bernama.com/bernama/v3/ne....php?id=192348

60-Km Bridge Across Melaka Strait Proposed

MELAKA, April 18 (Bernama) -- The Melaka government Tuesday suggested the construction of a 60-km bridge linking Melaka to Dumai in Sumatra, Indonesia following the cancellation of the scenic bridge that links with Singapore.

Chief Minister Datuk Seri Mohd Ali Rustam said the project was estimated to cost between RM1 billion and RM2 billion.

It would have greater economic potential because the Sumatra population had reached 70 million compared to Singapore with only four million, he told reporters here.

Earlier, he attended a briefing and had a dialogue with Agriculture and Agro-Based Industry Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin at Seri Negeri.

Mohd Ali said the Melaka-Dumai bridge had been pondered over when Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad was the prime minister.

"It was mulled in 1995 or 1996 but died down because of the financial crisis hitting hard both countries in 1997," he said.

He said the the project could be undertaken by the governments or the private sector.

Mohd Ali said he had conveyed the proposal to Prime Minister Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi last Saturday when attending the Negeri Sembilan and Johor Umno Divisions Leadership Course at a civics camp in Rembau, Negeri Sembilan.

"I believe the bridge can boost the tourism and trade sectors between the two countries," he said.

The scenic bridge to replace the Johor Causeway was called off by the Prime Minister for the best interest of the nation.

Default Re: Not again ....

Maybe we will see the KL- Kota Kinabalu Subway soon

So is Malaysia going to pay for the whole construction? Indonesia may not want to spend RM0.5-1 billion on that...

Why not just build a lift to the moon?
    I'm sure aliens wun disapprove.

We're going to have a space port soon...

I think it is a jolly good idea. We can sit back and focus on the unfolding initial drama. Maybe our government will pick up some finer points in negotiating with these neighbours by watching. I expect the affair to be - ahem in our language - high noise, high contrast, dim view and high distortion - just like my cam and lenses.

Oracle - standby to MO some wider lenses for the world longest bridge. May be longer if Dr M wants to show off his 'S' - from behind.

I mean....... the scene.
    Last edited by tOGGY; 22nd April 2006 at 10:40 AM.

Get used to all these antics, if I may say so myself.
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

"we are going ahead regardless of what you say"
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

Haha, a half-bridge over the sea leading to nowhere.

it's gonna be scenic and a tourist attraction for sure!
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

Hey, pass the beer guys. Here are the nuts.

Popcorn anyone?
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

haha... does it cuts off the shipping route...

Maybe a bridge like this?

Quote Originally Posted by xray
    Haha, a half-bridge over the sea leading to nowhere.
    Not very nice lah.

Now that you've mentioned it. I think they'll name Melaka-Dumai Bridge as Jambatan Pergi tak Mana (Bridge that goes nowhere).

Their monument-building ex-PM will be proud to live to see his vision realized.
    Last edited by Sion; 23rd April 2006 at 11:28 AM.

Oh, so 4 million vs 70 million not big enough lah.... but other than the rich Indonesians, how many of those 70 million has the spending power?
    The Art of Flying - Aviation Art Prints for sale
    http://TheArtofFlying.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay
    it's gonna be scenic and a tourist attraction for sure!
    Like this is better?
    Last edited by Sion; 23rd April 2006 at 11:28 PM.

would like to remind all to be mindful of the feelings of our neighbours (many of whom actually lives here) and to be civil in our comments. snide remarks reflects only upon our upbringing.

Pls remember tht malaysia is essentially a very resouce-rich country. meaning, they're damn rich, they can afford to spend. they're not like us SG, hv to count our dollars & cents. unless u wanna laugh at dubai, whom hv pour in billions to build incredible monuments. but look at what dubai have achieved in such a short period of time

Well, they had the world's tallest building for a while, so now they want the world's longest bridge? I wonder much it will actually cost, considering the disruption to sea traffic in one of the world's busiest waterway....

actually I always fantasise about a bridge (only about 20km long) from Singapore to Pulau Bintan. Would be a great place to develop real estate once there is a bridge link. Many people are surprised to hear that Bintan is 1˝ times the size of Singapore.

well, a sea-link doesnt necessarily hv to be all bridge. at feasible parts of the waterway, you can hv the bridge go into a tunnel. this will solve the sea traffic problem.

hving bridge is just for scenic reasons. of coz, u can hv tunnel all the way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast