Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Di vs good lenses.comments pls

Default Re: Di vs good lenses.comments pls

Sorry to OT abit here...true account .. i nearly fell fainted when i heard what he said:

But i was shooting at a place with a couple of photographers, then Guy A advised another guy, Guy B settings for his camera for the scene and what to expect. Guy B asks ... why are there so many guys with "white lenses" ... (note Guy A uses a DSLR as well but just a normal lens) ... one does not need L lenses ... - L lens effect can be Photoshopped one

So does that mean Nikon lenses with ED glass - effect can be photoshopped as well? ...

Quote Originally Posted by dEthANGeL
    Sorry to OT abit here...true account .. i nearly fell fainted when i heard what he said:

But i was shooting at a place with a couple of photographers, then Guy A advised another guy, Guy B settings for his camera for the scene and what to expect. Guy B asks ... why are there so many guys with "white lenses" ... (note Guy A uses a DSLR as well but just a normal lens) ... one does not need L lenses ... - L lens effect can be Photoshopped one

So does that mean Nikon lenses with ED glass - effect can be photoshopped as well? ...

Quote Originally Posted by unseen
    true.. DI can always outsource.. but good DI artists charge like a few k for a few images... I'm not saying a faster/sharper lens is better, I'm just saying that DI can really do wonders. Thing about proper DI is, it takes forever. Most people don't have the patience, I must admit neither do I. Spend 1 week doing up 1 entire image? I'd rather go and retake the image. However there ARE shots which are not replicable, thus DI is needed.

There are limits to sharpening yeah, but have you ever seen someone who paints back the details such that the image becomes sharp? Something like manually sharpen the entire image?
    Cost depends on complexity...those costing a few Ks usually involve multiple layers (and when I say multiple, I mean alot), much warping and liquifying, and also colour manipulation...with PSD files weighing in at 400MB to over 1GB... and those are usually not to save images but to create complex images that are difficult or impossible to shoot...simple ones to retouch and/or save images only cost tens or hundreds

And I think if you ask photogs whether they want to get the shot sharp or ask someone to paint it sharp, I don't think there is a question which they prefer...

I don't disagree with any of your statements.
    I was replying to the threadstarter + trying to correct S11loop's misguided notion. I never said it's easy. Notice, the thread started was asking about great DI.
    The idea now is not which we prefer, but if it's possible to distinguish between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by Nessie
    Are you able to tell the difference in a picture if its take with a great lens and a great DI?
    i.e. a photo with excellent quality and depth with
    a photo that gone thru DI (USM, gaussian, some touchup with lens correction.)
    LOL now let's see.... Which was DI-ed? Which was taken with a better lens?

Last edited by unseen; 26th April 2006 at 02:05 AM.

well...the first is definitely manmade... was posted in another thread

but both can be done with DI... I would not even call the first DI cause it was drawn rather than using photographic images... and in the first image, if you look at close up segments, you can see it... not to say it is not a great effort cause it really is ...can't really see DI on web sized resolutions unless close 100% crops...

so I guess, coming back to threadstarter's question, on websized images on the web, probably not... even printed out large, probably not, if it was well done and done with the final output size in mind... but on a computer screen with the original file and zoomed in with Photoshop or some other program, there's a good chance
    Last edited by theRBK; 27th April 2006 at 12:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by theRBK
    well...the first is definitely manmade... was posted in another thread

but both can be done with DI... I would not even call the first DI cause it was drawn rather than using photographic images... and in the first image, if you look at close up segments, you can see it... not to say it is not a great effort cause it really is ...can't really see DI on web sized resolutions unless close 100% crops...

so I guess, coming back to threadstarter's question, on websized images on the web, probably not... even printed out large, probably not, if it was well done and done with the final output size in mind... but on a computer screen with the original file and zoomed in with Photoshop or some other program, there's a good chance
    you saw it too.. At 1st look it fooled many of my friends.. They were saying the DI on the photo not very good, can tell that someone photoshopped the image abit.. :P

DI = digital imaging.. LOL includes all forms of digital manipulation.

Anyway the 2nd image was taken with a 600mm manual focus lens with 2X converter on a D1H single shot mode.
    Just wanted to point out that it doesn't mean you need great lens to get great pictures. In the end, it's about the man behind the camera. Not many people can do this with even with the fastest AF lens on the market. For baseball, the ball will be flying at 80kmh to 100kmh, FYI.
    http://www.sportsshooter.com/news/1502

Also you run the risk of getting hit by the ball...breaking your $xxxxx amount of glass...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12