Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 31 of 31

Thread: Tristao da Cunha - The remotest island on Earth! I have to share this!

  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Tampines, Singapore.
    Posts
    1,899

    Default Re: Tristao da Cunha - The remotest island on Earth! I have to share this!

    actually it is Tristan da Cunha.

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    eastern past
    Posts
    108

    Default Re: Tristao da Cunha - The remotest island on Earth! I have to share this!

    oh la la lobsters cheaper than baked beans?
    definitely a good place to chill out .. thanks for sharing
    爱是要时间慢慢培养的。。

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Tampines, Singapore.
    Posts
    1,899

    Default Re: Tristao da Cunha - The remotest island on Earth! I have to share this!

    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbesyeo
    I wonder if S'pore had not sold Christmas Island to the Aussies, how different things might be for us. Maybe that would have been our equivelent of Tristao?

    we only "technically" sold Christmas Island. in reality Christmas Island was placed under the administration of the Straits Settlements and then the Crown Colony of Singapore (after Malaya was formed). Upon us joining Malaysia (or was it when we were given self-rule) the island was transfered to be administered by the Commonwealth of Australia which until today still recognises the Queen of England as soverign.

    just so we don't think the Marshall goverment (I think it was during the Marshall government, or perhaps it was LYH) short-changed ourselves.

  4. #24

    Default Re: Tristao da Cunha - The remotest island on Earth! I have to share this!

    Quote Originally Posted by hwchoy
    we only "technically" sold Christmas Island. in reality Christmas Island was placed under the administration of the Straits Settlements and then the Crown Colony of Singapore (after Malaya was formed). Upon us joining Malaysia (or was it when we were given self-rule) the island was transfered to be administered by the Commonwealth of Australia which until today still recognises the Queen of England as soverign.

    just so we don't think the Marshall goverment (I think it was during the Marshall government, or perhaps it was LYH) short-changed ourselves.
    That's interesting. I never knew that.

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Tampines, Singapore.
    Posts
    1,899

    Default Re: Tristao da Cunha - The remotest island on Earth! I have to share this!

    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbesyeo
    That's interesting. I never knew that.

    its just like we "bought" all those british barracks for $1 each (you can see the framed $1 note in the CO office of many units). technically the british army "owns" the barracks, but they are returning it along with all the infrastructures and built-ups, so officially there is a transaction of buying-over for a token sum.

  6. #26

    Default Re: Tristao da Cunha - The remotest island on Earth! I have to share this!

    Eh, if Singapore still owns Christmas Island, I'll put my money (pun unintended) that it'll become THE Integrated Resort...

  7. #27

    Default Re: Tristao da Cunha - The remotest island on Earth! I have to share this!

    Quote Originally Posted by nuts
    Eh, if Singapore still owns Christmas Island, I'll put my money (pun unintended) that it'll become THE Integrated Resort...
    Nuts you should go to the most remote island in the world n take pictures hehe...

    You'll love it i think

  8. #28

    Default Re: Tristao da Cunha - The remotest island on Earth! I have to share this!

    watched the photo series but how come no pictures of the inhabitants???

    And the island is an active volcano. R U sure you guys want to RETIRE there?? holiday maybe can but RETIRE

  9. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Planet Eropagnis
    Posts
    2,944

    Default Re: Tristao da Cunha - The remotest island on Earth! I have to share this!

    Quote Originally Posted by behyx
    Nuts you should go to the most remote island in the world n take pictures hehe...

    You'll love it i think
    Going to the ulu island and taking photos is one thing. But to discover things which ppl never knew existed is gonna be 1 experience of a life time!
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

  10. #30

    Default Re: Tristao da Cunha - The remotest island on Earth! I have to share this!

    Quote Originally Posted by hwchoy
    actually it is Tristan da Cunha.
    Hey you are right! i just realized lonelyplanet has corrected the typo!

  11. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Tampines, Singapore.
    Posts
    1,899

    Default Re: Tristao da Cunha - The remotest island on Earth! I have to share this!

    Quote Originally Posted by behyx
    Hey you are right! i just realized lonelyplanet has corrected the typo!

    be a stamp collector, you'd learn an amazing lots of strange things

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •