Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: How to take passport size photo?

  1. #1

    Default How to take passport size photo?

    Can anyone tell me how to I take passport size photo using a digital camera. I need information such as:
    1) What focal length of lens to use.
    2) Distance between camera and subject etc.

    Thank you in advance

  2. #2

    Default Re: How to take passport size photo?

    http://www.ica.gov.sg/apples/faq/photo_image.html

    Use at least 80mm focal lenght. Avoid wide angle.
    Use a white background but do not sit too near the background else you will get shadow.

    Aim and shoot. Do PS to adjust contrast, exposure. No plastic surgery.

  3. #3

    Default Re: How to take passport size photo?

    Quote Originally Posted by jimtong
    http://www.ica.gov.sg/apples/faq/photo_image.html

    Use at least 80mm focal lenght. Avoid wide angle.
    Use a white background but do not sit too near the background else you will get shadow.

    Aim and shoot. Do PS to adjust contrast, exposure. No plastic surgery.
    Thanks jimtong. Just to confirm when you said 80mm it would mean the lens focal length will be at 50mm taking in consideration the 1.6 cropping factor. Am I right?

  4. #4

    Default Re: How to take passport size photo?

    Quote Originally Posted by funtasy
    Thanks jimtong. Just to confirm when you said 80mm it would mean the lens focal length will be at 50mm taking in consideration the 1.6 cropping factor. Am I right?
    Yes, without crop factor. But you can try with 50mm, I guess it should be fine though.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    8,167

    Default Re: How to take passport size photo?

    Bro, check http://forums.photoi.org/showthread.php?t=648586
    Read down to post#15.
    I use it to do my photo for my photo driving licence.

  6. #6

    Default Re: How to take passport size photo?

    Thanks jimtong and donchua!

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    9,808
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: How to take passport size photo?

    I think youhave to use a 300mm f2.8 lens like the following ......

    http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=186319

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Bt. Timah
    Posts
    1,354

    Default Re: How to take passport size photo?

    Quote Originally Posted by jimtong
    http://www.ica.gov.sg/apples/faq/photo_image.html

    Use at least 80mm focal lenght. Avoid wide angle.
    Use a white background but do not sit too near the background else you will get shadow.

    Aim and shoot. Do PS to adjust contrast, exposure. No plastic surgery.
    Interesting... didn't know ICA had a tutorial on taking passport photos.

    I find that the best way to reduce the shadow outline is to either use bounce flash or background lighting. Head-on flash tends to produce shadows in most shots even if the background is some distance away.

  9. #9
    Senior Member jnet6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    not here often anymore
    Posts
    8,170

    Default Re: How to take passport size photo?

    i've use 35mm focal lens to take passport size photo... nothing is wrong.

  10. #10

    Default Re: How to take passport size photo?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zenten
    I think youhave to use a 300mm f2.8 lens like the following ......

    http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=186319
    yup best pp shooter........
    Eat breath LIVERPOOL!!!

  11. #11

    Default Re: How to take passport size photo?

    get any P&S will be ok.

    IMHO, no need to spend too much time on PS-ing the passport photos as the printout on the passport suck big time.

    important thing is to have a sharp picture with those typical facial features can liao.

    also note that you have to follow strictly to ICA's requirements for the filesize and dimensions, as one pixel more, they dun accept also.


    Quote Originally Posted by funtasy
    Can anyone tell me how to I take passport size photo using a digital camera. I need information such as:
    1) What focal length of lens to use.
    2) Distance between camera and subject etc.

    Thank you in advance

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    South Pole with Penguin
    Posts
    5,270

    Default Re: How to take passport size photo?

    Quote Originally Posted by user12343
    also note that you have to follow strictly to ICA's requirements for the filesize and dimensions, as one pixel more, they dun accept also.
    wah..u tested the system before?

    my application for photo driving license was rejected cos the background was yellow....i was too lazy to find a white background for passport photo taking, in the end I got to use PS to remove the yellow background

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    South Pole with Penguin
    Posts
    5,270

    Default Re: How to take passport size photo?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zenten
    I think youhave to use a 300mm f2.8 lens like the following ......

    http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=186319

  14. #14

    Default Re: How to take passport size photo?

    yes, i just got my PP renewed. sibeh ngeow one. a lil bit bigger buaysai, filesize one 1kb bigger (can be less than specified size, but cannot be more) also tak boleh...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wai
    wah..u tested the system before?

    my application for photo driving license was rejected cos the background was yellow....i was too lazy to find a white background for passport photo taking, in the end I got to use PS to remove the yellow background
    Last edited by user12343; 21st April 2006 at 02:08 PM.

  15. #15

    Default Re: How to take passport size photo?

    u can use ps to crop 1.5" by 2".

  16. #16
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,901

    Default Re: How to take passport size photo?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wai

    wai, can you lend me your 1200mm lens and 1D camera? I need to do a passport photo of myself.

  17. #17

    Default Re: How to take passport size photo?

    Quote Originally Posted by solarii
    Interesting... didn't know ICA had a tutorial on taking passport photos.

    I find that the best way to reduce the shadow outline is to either use bounce flash or background lighting. Head-on flash tends to produce shadows in most shots even if the background is some distance away.
    Yes, defintely have to be bounce. Never use direct if you can. But for P&S, no choice have to find other ways.

    But bouce flash also produce shadow but softer, therefore standing further away will help to reduce the shadow.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •