Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Will you spend $ to participate in model photoshoot events?

Default Re: Will you spend $ to participate in model photoshoot events?

When you learn to do all that and control the situation.. Then you can call yourself a photographer.. In the meantime, continue taking pictures of family, friends and buildings.. And stick to your P&S, if you haven't gotten a DSLR yet..

Quote Originally Posted by michhy
    In all honesty, I dont see how much you could gain anything from these "model shooting sessions" where a few photographers shoots the same model at the same set.

I mean, you dont setup the lights, you dont do the make-ups, you dont control the pose, you dont choose the location, you dont create a rapport with the model - it is so passive!

update: well, maybe only thing I could think of is, just the thrill of being like a real photographer, and probably get to keep some photos of a pretty girl (if the model is pretty) lol

Quote Originally Posted by anmas
    Maybe it's because I don't know the market rate of such event, and probably the satisfaction or benefits getting out from it. I thought it would be better spending the $ with family and friends, than to spend it off on a couple of hours event. Just my thought

A lot depends on your value system. What is important to you.

Picasso wrote "Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life".

Now of course, there are many ways to indulge in art. A simple walk to appreciate the little art works in old doors, for example.

Or travelling every month to visit Florence.

One does not have to join photoshoots, TCFD or paid. One can take photos of friends and strangers. And thesse can be just as sastifying. It all depends on the person.

To those whose sense of art is to photograph models, and making beautiful images of such models allow them to "wash away the dust", then it makes sense to put in money as an "investment".

To one who does not have this interest, even free photoshoots may be a waste of time, which may be better spent with families.

Quote Originally Posted by imar
    Sorry if this sound weired, i've never been to any tfcd/paid shoot.
    If the models in these shoot sign model release, why can't their pics be used for stock photo?
    Stock images need model release, as long if the faces is recognizably, I also don't join paid shoots, not sure the models will sign a release for photographers, if the do, the release also won't cover for the images for commercial usage.

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights
    Stock images need model release, as long if the faces is recognizably, I also don't join paid shoots, not sure the models will sign a release for photographers, if the do, the release also won't cover for the images for commercial usage.
    hmm...so they wont sign the version of model release that the photographer brings...

Quote Originally Posted by Canonised
    Ever wonder why Charby's shoots are so popular even when they cost more than $100 each time? Come join him once and you will understand why ....
    Maybe you can share your experiences

Quote Originally Posted by jeryltan
    Then you shouldn't buy camera also what..
    A camera is not only use for shooting models rite?

Quote Originally Posted by michhy
    In all honesty, I dont see how much you could gain anything from these "model shooting sessions" where a few photographers shoots the same model at the same set.

I mean, you dont setup the lights, you dont do the make-ups, you dont control the pose, you dont choose the location, you dont create a rapport with the model - it is so passive!

update: well, maybe only thing I could think of is, just the thrill of being like a real photographer, and probably get to keep some photos of a pretty girl (if the model is pretty) lol
    Somehow, I think are right

Quote Originally Posted by student
    A lot depends on your value system. What is important to you.

Picasso wrote "Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life".

Now of course, there are many ways to indulge in art. A simple walk to appreciate the little art works in old doors, for example.

Or travelling every month to visit Florence.

One does not have to join photoshoots, TCFD or paid. One can take photos of friends and strangers. And thesse can be just as sastifying. It all depends on the person.

To those whose sense of art is to photograph models, and making beautiful images of such models allow them to "wash away the dust", then it makes sense to put in money as an "investment".

To one who does not have this interest, even free photoshoots may be a waste of time, which may be better spent with families.
    If free photoshoots of pretty models, than it will be a different story . But I see your point.

Quote Originally Posted by hondasleeper
    Why pay for something you can get for free, in my case, I know the owner of a modelling agency, a good one too, so anytime I want to test I usually give her a call to see if any of her new models need testing, hey sometimes I get paid too.
    So you're a model "tester". Right?

Quote Originally Posted by jeryltan
    When you learn to do all that and control the situation.. Then you can call yourself a photographer.. In the meantime, continue taking pictures of family, friends and buildings.. And stick to your P&S, if you haven't gotten a DSLR yet..
    Wow, getting personal eh..
    Black Rabbit Photography
    DeviantArt | Multiply | Flickr

Another popular use of camera is to make yourself important enough to attract security guards.

Maybe you can share your experiences
    Not every type of experiences in life can be shared la .... like some cars ... you need to go to the showroom and test drive to "feel" it ...
    but frankly i am not a regular coz i dont have the luxury of time ....
    always the Light, .... always.

A while back in CS, the "models" were racequeens, people who had done actual shows etc to qualify as models. Those shoots, I'd say you may end up learning some stuff from the the people.

Nowadays, most of the "models" are nothing more than a bunch of pretty faces out for a quick buck. I guess the organisers also know that as long as it's a SYT, you slap a model label on her, there will be guys desperate enough to part with their $$.

Seriously, I think going for model shoots is a waste of $$, unless say you get something like the recent $60 for 5 "models", or you have real experienced "models", or it's a 1/2 to 1 session, .
    -.- Recently there's even a "model" who pm me to join her shoot, promissing me lots of good poses. If i need to be promised such stuff, then...

If i need to shoot to shoot everyday pretty girl, I'd (sometimes) just ask people on the streets, people I meet when I go clubbing etc, friend's friend etc. As it is, eventually (like now) I ended up with more pretty girls to shoot than I have time.

Given the mass orgy situation, I really don't think you get to learn much.. I believe going out in outings in CS will help improve one's technical skills much faster. Portraits wise, I don't think need to take photograph of pretty girl than can improve.

Yes but the money still could've been better spent with family..

Quote Originally Posted by unseen
    A while back in CS, the "models" were racequeens, people who had done actual shows etc to qualify as models. Those shoots, I'd say you may end up learning some stuff from the the people.

Nowadays, most of the "models" are nothing more than a bunch of pretty faces out for a quick buck. I guess the organisers also know that as long as it's a SYT, you slap a model label on her, there will be guys desperate enough to part with their $$.

Seriously, I think going for model shoots is a waste of $$, unless say you get something like the recent $60 for 5 "models", or you have real experienced "models", or it's a 1/2 to 1 session, .
    -.- Recently there's even a "model" who pm me to join her shoot, promissing me lots of good poses. If i need to be promised such stuff, then...

If i need to shoot to shoot everyday pretty girl, I'd (sometimes) just ask people on the streets, people I meet when I go clubbing etc, friend's friend etc. As it is, eventually (like now) I ended up with more pretty girls to shoot than I have time.

Given the mass orgy situation, I really don't think you get to learn much.. I believe going out in outings in CS will help improve one's technical skills much faster. Portraits wise, I don't think need to take photograph of pretty girl than can improve.
    I agree totally.

When shooting a model or person, it is all about the interaction you have with the person. If you have a bunch of photographers just happily shooting away, there isn't much room for being creative or original. Like unseen mentioned, it is like a mass orgy...and I'm sure it probably is.

If it is a photography course or that type of thing where you are actually learning something, I could see paying some money to attend.

And based on what I have seen, some of these models, can't even pose properly, or if that's what they call poses, are frankly in my opinion very cheesy. I would definitely not part with my $100 for that.

Just my $0.02

Well.. At least I was personal.. Some pple generalized everybody who goes model shoots as wasting time and money.. Go figure

Quote Originally Posted by Hexlord
    Wow, getting personal eh..

i seldom pay to shoot becos:

1) it's usually the other way around.
    2) i dun have time becos my weekends are always boh eng.

but on the rare occasion when i do PAY to shoot it's becos

1) got kakis to shoot with, when i get paid to shoot i'm alone and it gets boring when u can't share wat u are doing to the next photographer (thereby learning from each other)

2) no stress, just shoot, like crap also nvm, no client to please, in a way it's a form of relaxation. just turn up, shoot, and leave. for the convenience, i pay. if i shoot a friend, i have to worry about her make up, whether she can get to the location herself, if not i have to pick her up, prob have dinner with her, show her the photos, edit for her, this and that. not that i hate doing it, but if i just wanted to shoot and FO, then i wouldn't be approaching friends. shooting for customers, aiyah no need to say lar, worse, but for a good reason, money (to be) received.

so that's my view. how? pass anot?

Quote Originally Posted by jOhO
    i seldom pay to shoot becos:

1) it's usually the other way around.
    2) i dun have time becos my weekends are always boh eng.

but on the rare occasion when i do PAY to shoot it's becos

1) got kakis to shoot with, when i get paid to shoot i'm alone and it gets boring when u can't share wat u are doing to the next photographer (thereby learning from each other)

2) no stress, just shoot, like crap also nvm, no client to please, in a way it's a form of relaxation. just turn up, shoot, and leave. for the convenience, i pay. if i shoot a friend, i have to worry about her make up, whether she can get to the location herself, if not i have to pick her up, prob have dinner with her, show her the photos, edit for her, this and that. not that i hate doing it, but if i just wanted to shoot and FO, then i wouldn't be approaching friends. shooting for customers, aiyah no need to say lar, worse, but for a good reason, money (to be) received.

so that's my view. how? pass anot?
    A fair view

I started learning through paid photoshoot. I learned from different photographers, the good and the bad. I learned more about my camera, exposure, etc etc. Now I stopped because I think I had all I needed from paid photoshoot but I don't regret going through that. It was also fun.

If I depend on my friends, it will cost me as much on makeup. And risky on being xxx hours late and last minute aeroplane, etc... for paid shoot, its more or less predictable and tantrum-free.

The other day I overheard a keen model photo shoot kaki told an organizer:

"Money no problem. Only wife got problem".

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast