Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 49

Thread: Will you spend $ to participate in model photoshoot events?

  1. #1

    Default Will you spend $ to participate in model photoshoot events?

    Very curious to find out if people are willing to spend money (some even more than S$100 for many models at one time) on a model photoshoot event? Recently there have been many such events. It seems to be fun, but is it worthwhile? There are few times when I feel like joining, but in the end drop the idea because I think is not worth it. What do you think? Just curious

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: Will you spend $ to participate in model photoshoot events?

    Quote Originally Posted by anmas
    Very curious to find out if people are willing to spend money (some even more than S$100 for many models at one time) on a model photoshoot event? Recently there have been many such events. It seems to be fun, but is it worthwhile? There are few times when I feel like joining, but in the end drop the idea because I think is not worth it. What do you think? Just curious
    y not... u can learn from gurus and masters there...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Will you spend $ to participate in model photoshoot events?

    $100 is a lot of money to me.

    I am a businessman and I have to watch my cost of production.

  4. #4
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,901

    Default Re: Will you spend $ to participate in model photoshoot events?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion
    $100 is a lot of money to me.

    I am a businessman and I have to watch my cost of production.
    too bad, you can't use it as stock images..

  5. #5
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,901

    Default Re: Will you spend $ to participate in model photoshoot events?

    Quote Originally Posted by anmas
    Very curious to find out if people are willing to spend money (some even more than S$100 for many models at one time) on a model photoshoot event? Recently there have been many such events. It seems to be fun, but is it worthwhile? There are few times when I feel like joining, but in the end drop the idea because I think is not worth it. What do you think? Just curious
    Is up to individuals..
    But why make you think it is not worth it? Care to share with us?

  6. #6

    Default Re: Will you spend $ to participate in model photoshoot events?

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights
    Is up to individuals..
    But why make you think it is not worth it? Care to share with us?
    Maybe it's because I don't know the market rate of such event, and probably the satisfaction or benefits getting out from it. I thought it would be better spending the $ with family and friends, than to spend it off on a couple of hours event. Just my thought

  7. #7
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,901

    Default Re: Will you spend $ to participate in model photoshoot events?

    Quote Originally Posted by anmas
    Maybe it's because I don't know the market rate of such event, and probably the satisfaction or benefits getting out from it. I thought it would be better spending the $ with family and friends, than to spend it off on a couple of hours event. Just my thought
    well, this can be subjective, thou I don't join paid model shoot, but I can says base on some of the pictures posted here, the higher the fee, produce the better results in general, perhaps is because the higher price tag, will get better models, and the photographers also have higher skills and willing spend that amount of money. this is just my personal observations, and I'm not affiliate with any models shoot organizers.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Will you spend $ to participate in model photoshoot events?

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights
    too bad, you can't use it as stock images..
    With model releases I may use them for stock. But I have to put the model in situations to make the photos relevant instead of jostling in the crowd shooting the model looking blankly at mid-distance wearing weak smile.

    $10 will buy me a big bag of second-hand props from the junkyard to shoot for a week.

  9. #9
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,901

    Default Re: Will you spend $ to participate in model photoshoot events?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion
    With model releases I may use them for stock. But I have to put the model in situations to make the photos relevant instead of jostling in the crowd shooting the model looking blankly at mid-distance wearing weak smile.

    $10 will buy me a big bag of second-hand props from the junkyard to shoot for a week.
    You think would the model want to sign a releases for you? If yes, maybe you have to pay triple the current rates, the models may ask for profit sharing some more.

    You got a point, btw, can I learn shoot stock from you?

  10. #10
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Will you spend $ to participate in model photoshoot events?

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights
    Is up to individuals..
    But why make you think it is not worth it? Care to share with us?
    I think $100 is relaltive.

    It maybe expensive for me but kacang for many who are making many times more than that in 15 minutes of consultation.

    Another thing is the unmonetary and intangible benefits you get out of a $100 model shoot if you don't consider it in as a tax-reductible business expense.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Will you spend $ to participate in model photoshoot events?

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights
    You got a point, btw, can I learn shoot stock from you?
    I am learning it from a master who is posing his half-a-dozen beautiful daughters as free models.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Will you spend $ to participate in model photoshoot events?

    Why pay for something you can get for free, in my case, I know the owner of a modelling agency, a good one too, so anytime I want to test I usually give her a call to see if any of her new models need testing, hey sometimes I get paid too.

    Frankly, some of the models I have seen from some of the shoots done are not worth the money. In fact, the models should be paying the photographer because they will be using those images for their books and they will be able to make money from those images taken by you. And the same thing goes for the make-up artist and stylist.

    In all honesty, I have never paid for model testing.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Will you spend $ to participate in model photoshoot events?

    Quote Originally Posted by anmas
    Maybe it's because I don't know the market rate of such event, and probably the satisfaction or benefits getting out from it. I thought it would be better spending the $ with family and friends, than to spend it off on a couple of hours event. Just my thought
    This is strictly a commercial contract which will only be successful if there is a demand and a supply. If the deal is through and resulted in all the parties having achieved their needs, then this will lead to more demands and then accordingly the supplies, and so on.
    For the organisers, the reward is obvious, ie financial or sth personal. For the models, learning, getting paid, exposure, contacts, etc... and for the photographers, contacts, learning and sharing, personal, etc....
    For the amount, say above $100 per shoot (some have paid more than $300 or more in certain shoots) it is relative. For someone who makes $3,000 pm more or less, this amt is not so life threatening, if he enjoys and learns something in the 3-hr, or even getting to know someone or a model. But for many which include some rich, and also some lucky few who have lots of free kangtao, and some photographers who look like filmstars and got countless supplies of free models, the consideration is that the $100 can buy the 50mm f1.8 lens, or a ticket to Bangkok, or a grand dinner a KFC or Seoul Garden, then definately any shoot is a waste of money.
    From my personal experience, this is a neccessary evil. Where can we find willing parties in our private life that are willing to pose for you for hours under the hot sun, pose in nude, semi-nude, lingerie, bikini, etc? Unless your interest is not in good-look faces or bodies, i think the money paid is worth every cents if you have the right organiser and models.
    Ever wonder why Charby's shoots are so popular even when they cost more than $100 each time? Come join him once and you will understand why ....
    Last edited by Canonised; 20th April 2006 at 12:43 PM.
    always the Light, .... always.

  14. #14
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,901

    Default Re: Will you spend $ to participate in model photoshoot events?

    Quote Originally Posted by hondasleeper
    Why pay for something you can get for free, in my case, I know the owner of a modelling agency, a good one too, so anytime I want to test I usually give her a call to see if any of her new models need testing, hey sometimes I get paid too.

    Frankly, some of the models I have seen from some of the shoots done are not worth the money. In fact, the models should be paying the photographer because they will be using those images for their books and they will be able to make money from those images taken by you. And the same thing goes for the make-up artist and stylist.

    In all honesty, I have never paid for model testing.
    Yes, but here are talking about different level, just assume that he is not a pro, how would you tell him that he call the model agancies to send some new model to him for testing?

    He just want to find out the rate of the paid model shoots here is it at a market norm price.

  15. #15
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,901

    Default Re: Will you spend $ to participate in model photoshoot events?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion
    I am learning it from a master who is posing his half-a-dozen beautiful daughters as free models.
    Who is that?
    anyway, I think I email you for stock images matter privately.

  16. #16
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Will you spend $ to participate in model photoshoot events?

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights
    Who is that?
    anyway, I think I email you for stock images matter privately.
    If you are in Singapore Phildate is the master to learn from.

    Some of his stock images are featuring 5 models in one sitting. Let's say $200 for one model 5 models will be $1,000. But to get big money you have to spend big first.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Will you spend $ to participate in model photoshoot events?

    Once in a while ok lah.. For the experience.. But don't every week go lor, maybe once a month.. If not your nose bleed until don't know go where

    Quote Originally Posted by anmas
    Very curious to find out if people are willing to spend money (some even more than S$100 for many models at one time) on a model photoshoot event? Recently there have been many such events. It seems to be fun, but is it worthwhile? There are few times when I feel like joining, but in the end drop the idea because I think is not worth it. What do you think? Just curious

  18. #18

    Default Re: Will you spend $ to participate in model photoshoot events?

    Then you shouldn't buy camera also what..

    Quote Originally Posted by anmas
    Maybe it's because I don't know the market rate of such event, and probably the satisfaction or benefits getting out from it. I thought it would be better spending the $ with family and friends, than to spend it off on a couple of hours event. Just my thought

  19. #19

    Default Re: Will you spend $ to participate in model photoshoot events?

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights
    too bad, you can't use it as stock images..
    Sorry if this sound weired, i've never been to any tfcd/paid shoot.
    If the models in these shoot sign model release, why can't their pics be used for stock photo?

  20. #20

    Default Re: Will you spend $ to participate in model photoshoot events?

    In all honesty, I dont see how much you could gain anything from these "model shooting sessions" where a few photographers shoots the same model at the same set.

    I mean, you dont setup the lights, you dont do the make-ups, you dont control the pose, you dont choose the location, you dont create a rapport with the model - it is so passive!

    update: well, maybe only thing I could think of is, just the thrill of being like a real photographer, and probably get to keep some photos of a pretty girl (if the model is pretty) lol

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •