Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Flash /Strobe Review - Feel Free to comment

  1. #1

    Smile Flash /Strobe Review - Feel Free to comment

    Anyone can give some review of the portable flash unit by Jinbei
    RL330
    or
    RL660
    or Perhaps the MS-300.
    Thinking of getting one but not sure about its performance etc..

  2. #2

    Default Re: Flash /Strobe Review - Feel Free to comment

    Please feel free to comment

  3. #3

    Default Re: Flash /Strobe Review - Feel Free to comment

    upzzz

  4. #4

    Default Re: Flash /Strobe Review - Feel Free to comment

    anyone free enough to share their review?

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Gim Boon Tai
    Posts
    2,909

    Default Re: Flash /Strobe Review - Feel Free to comment

    I owned the RL660 over a year now and I think its pretty dependable. Only weakness is it's slower recharging times if you are shooting at max power outdoors. I really think its a good buy, especially at such low prices as compared to when I bought it.
    If you understand my works, it's photography. If you don't, it's art.
    SplutterPhotography|flickr

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Singapore - Jurong West
    Posts
    807

    Default Re: Flash /Strobe Review - Feel Free to comment

    I've the RL660 for about a month now. Here are my views on it:

    It's powerful enough for my needs
    It's heavy with the included battery
    10 steps for power setting is enough
    Slave mode (trigger when detect flash) is nice
    Modelling lamp suitable only indoors, outdoors, can't really see, especially if it's noon
    SLOW recharging time. But if you're not in a rush, it's okay

    The thing that's bothering me most when I bring it out is the weight.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Gim Boon Tai
    Posts
    2,909

    Default Re: Flash /Strobe Review - Feel Free to comment

    Weight is actually pretty good already. If you try out elinchrom and profoto outdoor lights, the batteries weigh even more.
    If you understand my works, it's photography. If you don't, it's art.
    SplutterPhotography|flickr

  8. #8

    Default Re: Flash /Strobe Review - Feel Free to comment

    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd
    I've the RL660 for about a month now. Here are my views on it:

    It's powerful enough for my needs
    It's heavy with the included battery
    10 steps for power setting is enough
    Slave mode (trigger when detect flash) is nice
    Modelling lamp suitable only indoors, outdoors, can't really see, especially if it's noon
    SLOW recharging time. But if you're not in a rush, it's okay

    The thing that's bothering me most when I bring it out is the weight.

    thanks. Weight seems like a big problem for many of us also. Esp people like me who doesn't drive... Maybe I just settle for the indoor unit..

  9. #9

    Default Re: Flash /Strobe Review - Feel Free to comment

    Anyone care to share on Jinbei indoor flashes?

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    308

    Default Re: Flash /Strobe Review - Feel Free to comment

    Quote Originally Posted by Nessie
    thanks. Weight seems like a big problem for many of us also. Esp people like me who doesn't drive... Maybe I just settle for the indoor unit..
    I think the weight was very much due to the battery itself.... if used indoor, you probably will not use the battery unit but the ac-dc converter, which is very light.. the battery option is good for outdoor incase you may need it one day..

    However, you will need to charge the battery twice every week, even if u don't use it !!! (I was told by the sales person in China) which is very troublesome..

  11. #11

    Default Re: Flash /Strobe Review - Feel Free to comment

    Quote Originally Posted by zipper
    I think the weight was very much due to the battery itself.... if used indoor, you probably will not use the battery unit but the ac-dc converter, which is very light.. the battery option is good for outdoor incase you may need it one day..

    However, you will need to charge the battery twice every week, even if u don't use it !!! (I was told by the sales person in China) which is very troublesome..

    Hi ZIpper,
    Thanks for the feedback.
    just wondering did the sales person mention why does it need charging so often? Do you need to change the battery water often?
    How long is the charging?
    Does the use of AC-DC converter provides even faster refresh rates?

    thanks!

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    308

    Default Re: Flash /Strobe Review - Feel Free to comment

    Quote Originally Posted by Nessie
    Hi ZIpper,
    Thanks for the feedback.
    just wondering did the sales person mention why does it need charging so often? Do you need to change the battery water often?
    How long is the charging?
    Does the use of AC-DC converter provides even faster refresh rates?

    thanks!
    Nope, I did not ask why there is a need to charge so often.. guess very much due to the battery type and to maintain the lifespan of the battery ... if I am not wrong.. it's liquid battery which is consealed and not refillable...

    Charging may take around 10hrs++... and battery should be charged after every use or after a few days of not using...

  13. #13

    Default Re: Flash /Strobe Review - Feel Free to comment

    thanks for the updates.i'll check before buying the item. Thanks. It can be quite taxing to charge the batteries every now and then.

  14. #14
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: Flash /Strobe Review - Feel Free to comment

    I would recommend that you contact afiend for any questions that you may have on the JINBEI lights - he's a nice guy and can answer your queries!

    Its a sealed lead acid battery - and no need to be refilled - the battery itself isn't very expensive so if you lazy to recharge, just replace it when its spoilt.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Flash /Strobe Review - Feel Free to comment

    What about the alienbees portable battery + lights?
    Anyone using those?

    .

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •