Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What Photography Magazines You Read?

Default Re: What Photography Magazines You Read?

Quote Originally Posted by aaron80
    Realise the price of Practical Photography really varies from one place to another.. I got mine at $13.50(I think this is the more common price at most places), there are some places going for $14.90, Patryk got his for $12.50 at airport. Cheapest will be Basheer at Bras Brasah Complex 4th floor for $12 only(Xing got his there).. Maybe can get from there if happen to pass by.. Any1 knows Practical Photography is released which day of the month mah?
    Because for some magazines, there are 2 version, hard cover and normal one. My magazine dealer always keep the cheapest one for me .

Regards,
    Arto.

I have been reading Photography Monthly for more than 2 years. I quite like their interviews with both professional and amateur photographers. Recently I have started reading our local PhotoVideoI, for some local news and views. Professional Photographer is another interesting read.
    Canon 80D|Panasonic LX3/LX5
    35f2 IS|50f1.8|85f1.8|12-24f4|18-135f4-5.6 IS|28-75f2.8

Is there hard cover version of Practical Photography? Anyway I realise that occasionally there will be a supplementary guide that is supposed to come together with Practical Photography, but the mag will state that its only available in the UK. Has any1 here bought a copy here in Singapore that comes with 1 of these supplementary guide?

Quote Originally Posted by Artosoft
    Because for some magazines, there are 2 version, hard cover and normal one. My magazine dealer always keep the cheapest one for me .

Regards,
    Arto.
    Life is like photography, we develop from the negatives.

I subscribe Popular Photography and Imaging in digital copy 1 year 12 issues for USD12 only from Zinio. Cheap and no need to kill tree for paper.
    Canon EOS 70D + 40D

Is there hard cover version of Practical Photography? Anyway I realise that occasionally there will be a supplementary guide that is supposed to come together with Practical Photography, but the mag will state that its only available in the UK. Has any1 here bought a copy here in Singapore that comes with 1 of these supplementary guide?
    Don't have leh. When I buy it in the UK, there always will be the supplementary guide, but so far, the ones I've bought in Singapore don't come with it. Direct conversion of the UK price to SGD at most comes to about $10... we sure lugi quite a bit.

Hey man, how do you subscribe? I want to subscribe too...
    https://www.neodata.com/hfmus/phot/print_subs.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by drazic
    u got to add USD8 for overseas right ?
    now you mentioned it.... i only read canadian but didn't read that "international".....
    but it is still quite al'rite at US$22 per year

Hey man, thanks for the link..

i subscribed Pop Photo since Dec 05. USD20 included freight charges to Malaysia

I read Digital Camera magazine, the Malaysia version. Much of the content is the same as the UK version but price is only RM8. LOL.

i read the internet?

has anyone read digital camera world? it's one of my favourite magazine

I read at MPH before. Its not bad but I believe its more on equipments rite? Hehe still prefer practical photography..

Quote Originally Posted by endorphin
    has anyone read digital camera world? it's one of my favourite magazine

I use to read Practical photography back in the 90,s but has since switch over to Popular photography after I dwell into Digital photography. That said still browse over Practical photography and What's Camera from time to time at bookshops.

I can't resist & i subscribed. Calculated that the price for 1 yr & 2 yrs abt the same per copy. Due to the additional US$8 per yr. So i just subscribed 12 issues. How come the subscription price for an issue is only a fraction of the price at book store?
    From Pentax to 4/3, back to Pentax and then back to M4/3 !?!?

Practical Photography is one of my favourite photo magazines. Been reading it from time to time since I picked up photography 9 years ago. William Cheung writes some very good articles.

I also read a couple of Japanese magazines. It's quite interesting because photographers from different countries have really different philosophy and focus on photography. I like this one called PHAT photo, it's a magazine on niche photography and features quite a bit on classic cameras like Holgas, Lomos and Bessa. It have some nice and interesting photo projects sometimes, like making your own pinhole cams or making lamp-shades out of slides etc.

The other one is Commercial Photo, which features heavily on commercial photo such as techniques, commercial photographers and digital post-processing.

Both are available from Kinokuniya, but because of the language barrier, it's quite a bit of effort trying to understand the articles.

PHAT photo: http://www.terauchi.com/phatphoto/
    Commercial photo: http://www.genkosha.co.jp/np/detail.do?goods_id=557
    Last edited by Prismatic; 30th April 2006 at 04:54 AM.

i'd definitely agree that Practical Photography's one of the best magazines to read. Lots of pictures, tips all laid out in a professional manner. One thing I noticed is that the subjects covered is very routine. One's landscape, the next you see it's portraits, then it's shooting birds and the next thing you know, it's back to the topic of landscape again. Happens on most magazine titles.

Shutterbug and Outdoor Photography are not too bad either, but they usually come on really thin paper filled with lots and lots of words. It doesn't really appeal to many. Their articles are written in such a way that you read half of it on page 20 and suddenly can jump to page 40 which is annoying.

However, if you got the cash, I'd definitely recommend Digital Camera World. It has two books, one's the magazine, the other's a booklet with small compilation of tips and photos on a certain subject (ie Flash) which you can keep to refer without searching through the loads of magazines.

in singapore, i read practical photography and shutterbug.. but over here, they cost a bomb. i can get china magazines for as low as SGD$3+, the printing is just as good, with lots of useful content, PLUS a bonus CD containing tips and tricks!!!
    Canon 300D, 30D, 5D. 17-40 f4 L, 24-105 f4 L, 70-200 f2.8 L IS

DP and this Australian magazine..dealing with outdoors and film.
    We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities. - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by djork
    in singapore, i read practical photography and shutterbug.. but over here, they cost a bomb. i can get china magazines for as low as SGD$3+, the printing is just as good, with lots of useful content, PLUS a bonus CD containing tips and tricks!!!
    you mean HK and taiwan, or china?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast