Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 72

Thread: What Photography Magazines You Read?

  1. #1

    Default What Photography Magazines You Read?

    Hi just want to know which photography magazines you all read? And which titles you would recommend? For me, I buy some titles and borrow some from the library. The following are the titles I read. They are placed from my most favourite to least favourite.

    1. Practical Photography
    2. Popular Photography and Imaging
    3. Photovideoi
    4. Digital Photography User
    5. Petersen Photography

    (1) and (3) I buy on a regular basis.. Practical Photography has very gd tips and information each month on how to take better pictures on the different subjects of photography. This magazine is packed full of photography goodness and most importantly it doesnt have alot of pages of advertisments unlike some magazines. I buy Photovideoi coz its a local magazine(support local photography mag) and its the cheapest photography magazine I can find on the market now.. The only gripe I have is that I wish it can have more pages dedicated to taking better photos of different topics.. But nevermind it is already good enough for the price.. My 2nd fav is Popular Photography, I find the reviews of cameras and lens in the magazine very comprehensive and accurate, the reason why i never buy it is because its quite ex, ard $17.90 if I am not wrong. But nonetheless its a gd read and I always look for it 1st in the library..
    Life is like photography, we develop from the negatives.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Tanjong Katong
    Posts
    3,710

    Default Re: What Photography Magazines You Read?

    Popular photography and Imaging $12.50. Some place also give discount. I buy at $11.00 monthly. Go to Raffless MRT.

    Regards,
    Arto.

  3. #3

    Default Re: What Photography Magazines You Read?

    Huh? Really ah? Think the mama shop near my place want to "tok" me.. Thanks Arto..

    Quote Originally Posted by Artosoft
    Popular photography and Imaging $12.50. Some place also give discount. I buy at $11.00 monthly. Go to Raffless MRT.

    Regards,
    Arto.
    Life is like photography, we develop from the negatives.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Tanjong Katong
    Posts
    3,710

    Default Re: What Photography Magazines You Read?

    Quote Originally Posted by aaron80
    Huh? Really ah? Think the mama shop near my place want to "tok" me.. Thanks Arto..
    I buy at mama shop . Friendly mama shop. Even they deliver the magazine to my office personally.

    Regards,
    Arto.

  5. #5
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: What Photography Magazines You Read?

    Only buy Practical Photography regularly...

    So far, after browsing quite a few mags, i still like the tips and lessons for shooting from this mag. The reviews from time to time will also tempt me... hehehe
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  6. #6

    Default Re: What Photography Magazines You Read?

    NLB has Practical Photography & Popular Photography, so I don't have to buy them.

    Photovideoi also have, but I buy them still

    Peterson's no more liao leh

    For me the magazines that I do buy is Shutterbug and Digital Camera World
    Black Rabbit Photography
    DeviantArt | Multiply | Flickr

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    1,226

    Default Re: What Photography Magazines You Read?

    I buy Practical Photography monthly. Picked up the habit of buying it when I was in the UK... Photography Monthly is also not bad after they kapo'd Practical Photography's editor 1-2 years back.


    However, I find that all the magazines always keep repeating the same sort of theme every year... in a given year, confirm will have one B&W issue, one macro issue, one night shooting issue, etc; which sorts of diminish the enjoyment a bit over time.

  8. #8

    Default Re: What Photography Magazines You Read?

    Hey which mama shop u buy from? U can get at $11.. Intro me the shop, i go patronise also.. i work at tanjong pagar, near raffles place..

    Quote Originally Posted by Artosoft
    I buy at mama shop . Friendly mama shop. Even they deliver the magazine to my office personally.

    Regards,
    Arto.
    Life is like photography, we develop from the negatives.

  9. #9

    Default Re: What Photography Magazines You Read?

    Ya but Practical Photography and Popular Photography both very hot at NLB. Very hard to get, and even if can find, is those very back issues.. Peterson always have alot of stocks though.. Think not much ppl read coz alot of pages dedicated to advertisements..

    Quote Originally Posted by Hexlord
    NLB has Practical Photography & Popular Photography, so I don't have to buy them.

    Photovideoi also have, but I buy them still

    Peterson's no more liao leh

    For me the magazines that I do buy is Shutterbug and Digital Camera World
    Life is like photography, we develop from the negatives.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The Land of the Teddy Bear
    Posts
    1,454

    Default Re: What Photography Magazines You Read?

    I order and suscribe to PhotoVideoi for a year =D
    I Love You :)

  11. #11

    Default Re: What Photography Magazines You Read?

    Ya I feel the same way as you.. The tips and lessons are really useful and interesting.. This month issue is good, theme is composition, alot of reviews(Ricoh, Olympus E330 and a feature on Sony R1 vs Canon 350D)

    Quote Originally Posted by zac08
    Only buy Practical Photography regularly...

    So far, after browsing quite a few mags, i still like the tips and lessons for shooting from this mag. The reviews from time to time will also tempt me... hehehe
    Life is like photography, we develop from the negatives.

  12. #12

    Default Re: What Photography Magazines You Read?

    I am thinking of subscribing to Photovideoi too, coz in the long run save quite alot.. The editor John Cosgrove came to my company last month, had a talk with him(asked him where to get camera bags), before he went off, he even showed me the draft copy of the April issue(the one on still life which is out now)

    Quote Originally Posted by Koelsch
    I order and suscribe to PhotoVideoi for a year =D
    Life is like photography, we develop from the negatives.

  13. #13
    Member patch17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    here and there
    Posts
    728

    Default Re: What Photography Magazines You Read?

    b & w photography.

    used to read photography monthly, but found that the articles repeated themselves quite often.
    Today is a gift; that's why it's called the present.
    The toys

  14. #14

    Default Re: What Photography Magazines You Read?

    I buy practical photography and photography monthly. I prefer to read PM, cos it is easier to read, and features many good photos ..


    Quote Originally Posted by justarius
    I buy Practical Photography monthly. Picked up the habit of buying it when I was in the UK... Photography Monthly is also not bad after they kapo'd Practical Photography's editor 1-2 years back.


    However, I find that all the magazines always keep repeating the same sort of theme every year... in a given year, confirm will have one B&W issue, one macro issue, one night shooting issue, etc; which sorts of diminish the enjoyment a bit over time.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Eastern Singapore
    Posts
    694

    Default Re: What Photography Magazines You Read?

    Ermz... FHM or Maxim counted?

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Lower Seletar Reservoir
    Posts
    1,048

    Default Re: What Photography Magazines You Read?

    Quote Originally Posted by aaron80
    (1) and (3) I buy on a regular basis.. Practical Photography has very gd tips and information each month on how to take better pictures on the different subjects of photography. This magazine is packed full of photography goodness and most importantly it doesnt have alot of pages of advertisments unlike some magazines.
    I buy Practical Photography monthly too, get it from Basheer at Bras Brasah Complex 4th floor for $12 only, cos other places retailing for $14.90 at least.

  17. #17
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: What Photography Magazines You Read?

    Quote Originally Posted by Xing
    I buy Practical Photography monthly too, get it from Basheer at Bras Brasah Complex 4th floor for $12 only, cos other places retailing for $14.90 at least.
    Hmmmm, I normally pass by a bookstore and grab one... normal buying price for me is $13.50 or so.... Mebbe if I do go there, I might grab one from Bras basah the next time...
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  18. #18

    Default Re: What Photography Magazines You Read?

    I bought mine for $13.50 at a convenience shop at Woodlands mrt station.. I think I will go Bras Basah buy next time since its cheaper.. hey u know which day of the month Practical Photography is released? I can only see it on the shelf ard middle to end of the month..

    Quote Originally Posted by Xing
    I buy Practical Photography monthly too, get it from Basheer at Bras Brasah Complex 4th floor for $12 only, cos other places retailing for $14.90 at least.
    Life is like photography, we develop from the negatives.

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Bt. Timah
    Posts
    1,354

    Default Re: What Photography Magazines You Read?

    Quote Originally Posted by Xing
    I buy Practical Photography monthly too, get it from Basheer at Bras Brasah Complex 4th floor for $12 only, cos other places retailing for $14.90 at least.
    The usual price for Practical Photography is $13.50... most places sell it at that price, including those chain book stores like Times, MPH, Kino etc. I've never seen a $14.90 copy, not even at MPH in Raffles City.

    Anyway $12 is cheap...

  20. #20
    Member smtan24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    1,496

    Default Re: What Photography Magazines You Read?

    I use to read Amateur Photographer but Times stop bringing it in. Use to go at SGD8.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •