Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: Ni-MH battery charger?

  1. #1

    Default Ni-MH battery charger?

    What brand of Ni-MH charger is good for Sanyo 2500mah batteries?

  2. #2
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: Ni-MH battery charger?

    I would gladly endorse the Maha charger... It has individual charging circuits and there are 2 choices for a fast charge and a slow charge. I recommend using the slow charge for better battery lifespan.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  3. #3
    Senior Member Canew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    2,229

    Default Re: Ni-MH battery charger?

    Quote Originally Posted by zac08
    I would gladly endorse the Maha charger... It has individual charging circuits and there are 2 choices for a fast charge and a slow charge. I recommend using the slow charge for better battery lifespan.
    zac08, are you recommending the Maha Powerex MH-C401FS charger?

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    West
    Posts
    243

    Default Re: Ni-MH battery charger?

    You can also try Konnoc... also has independent charging circuit so can support newer higher capacity batts. Has got individual batt guage and refresh function. However it doesn't have slow charging. Unlike the Maha (which is also a good charger), the power block is built into the unit so better for traveling. Sony has one model (BCG-34HRMD4 Super Quick Charger with LCD Indicator) that is fairly similar to it. I suspect Konnoc is the OEM.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Ni-MH battery charger?

    Actually, was thinking. I have a multi purpose charger, able to charge, Lithium, Ni-MH, Ni-Cd batteries. It could charge up to 12 Ni-MH in series.

    Just thinking, is this a better way to charge the battery, since i can control charging current and discharge current.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Ni-MH battery charger?

    Used to have a Triton charger too... u fly RC, Triton?

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    West
    Posts
    243

    Default Re: Ni-MH battery charger?

    hehehee.. No i am no fly-boy though aeroplanes always fascinates me.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Canew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    2,229

    Default Re: Ni-MH battery charger?

    Quote Originally Posted by Triton
    You can also try Konnoc... also has independent charging circuit so can support newer higher capacity batts. Has got individual batt guage and refresh function. However it doesn't have slow charging. Unlike the Maha (which is also a good charger), the power block is built into the unit so better for traveling. Sony has one model (BCG-34HRMD4 Super Quick Charger with LCD Indicator) that is fairly similar to it. I suspect Konnoc is the OEM.
    But it has been mentioned many a times that the KONNOC does not fully charge the 2500 mAh batteries... Care to comment on this, Triton?

  9. #9
    Senior Member wrx_sti_22b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Compassvale Lane
    Posts
    4,952

    Default Re: Ni-MH battery charger?

    Please dun get Konnoc...
    From Pentax to 4/3, back to Pentax and then back to M4/3 !?!?

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    West
    Posts
    243

    Default Re: Ni-MH battery charger?

    Quote Originally Posted by Canew
    But it has been mentioned many a times that the KONNOC does not fully charge the 2500 mAh batteries... Care to comment on this, Triton?
    I have been using it and faced no problem so far.. No drastic drop in performance compared to my Maha. As for high heat, I feel that Maha at Fast mode is as hot as any other brands out there.
    Just my 2 cts worth... no scientific testing - just real world user feedback.

  11. #11
    Senior Member wrx_sti_22b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Compassvale Lane
    Posts
    4,952

    Default Re: Ni-MH battery charger?

    The expensive La Crosse charger charges the batteries quite cool...
    From Pentax to 4/3, back to Pentax and then back to M4/3 !?!?

  12. #12
    Senior Member Canew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    2,229

    Default Re: Ni-MH battery charger?

    Quote Originally Posted by wrx_sti_22b
    The expensive La Crosse charger charges the batteries quite cool...
    Anyone selling La Crosse locally. Eastgear use to carry them, can't see it on their website now.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Canew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    2,229

    Default Re: Ni-MH battery charger?

    Quote Originally Posted by Triton
    I have been using it and faced no problem so far.. No drastic drop in performance compared to my Maha. As for high heat, I feel that Maha at Fast mode is as hot as any other brands out there.
    Just my 2 cts worth... no scientific testing - just real world user feedback.
    Triton, do you mean that the batteries' performance is about the same whether you charged it on KONNOC or MAHA? If the performance is the same, then there is not much point to get the MAHA as it is more expensive.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    West
    Posts
    243

    Default Re: Ni-MH battery charger?

    i find it to be similar leh.. As far as I know, any batt charger that possess negative delta voltage -ΔV sensing can charge any capacity type batts. That's why we should buy chargers like Maha and the likes. For me I use a combination of Sanyo, Maha and Konnoc chargers. These days I don't use the Sanyo that much becos it doesn't have independent circuits and batts are charged in pair even though one has more residual power left. Also my Sanyos cannot charge >2300mAh . Reading the Wiki on batt charger below, it could be our charger cuts off on high temperature rather than reaching optimum voltage. This may explain why you are not getting a full charge.. Just speculation on my part though. Any electrical experts out there can enlighten us?

    "Output current depends upon the battery's state. An intelligent charger may monitor the battery's voltage, temperature and/or time under charge to determine the optimum charge current at that instant. Charging is terminated when a combination of the voltage, temperature and/or time indicates that the battery is fully charged.
    For NiCd and NiMH batteries, the voltage over the battery increases slowly during the charging process, until the battery is fully charged. After that, the voltage decreases, which indicates to an intelligent charger that the battery is fully charged. Such chargers are often labeled as a ΔV charger, indicating that they monitor the voltage change."
    Last edited by Triton; 18th April 2006 at 09:07 PM.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Canew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    2,229

    Default Re: Ni-MH battery charger?

    Thanks for the reply, Triton.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Ni-MH battery charger?

    Anyone using GP 15min charger? its charging current is at 7000mAh for AA batts hence charging at a very fast rate. It also comes with an inbuilt fan to cool batteries down.

    As compared to Maha Powerex MH-C401FS, it only charges at 1000mAh at fast charge. Does the batt heats up alot?.

    I was contemplating which of the above charger to purchase,

    GP chargers - Current too high, reduces battery cycle life.
    Maha Chargers - Charge till too high of a temp, reduces battery life.

    Any comments of which to get?.

  17. #17
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: Ni-MH battery charger?

    Quote Originally Posted by Canew
    zac08, are you recommending the Maha Powerex MH-C401FS charger?
    Affirmative... sorry didn't provide the model earlier.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  18. #18
    Senior Member +evenstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Singapore / United Kingdom
    Posts
    5,655

    Default Re: Ni-MH battery charger?

    fast chargers don't fully charge the batteries..they charge it only to ~80-90% IIRC
    eat. drink. shoot

  19. #19
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: Ni-MH battery charger?

    Quote Originally Posted by xiaolanku
    Anyone using GP 15min charger? its charging current is at 7000mAh for AA batts hence charging at a very fast rate. It also comes with an inbuilt fan to cool batteries down.

    As compared to Maha Powerex MH-C401FS, it only charges at 1000mAh at fast charge. Does the batt heats up alot?.

    I was contemplating which of the above charger to purchase,

    GP chargers - Current too high, reduces battery cycle life.
    Maha Chargers - Charge till too high of a temp, reduces battery life.

    Any comments of which to get?.
    Get the Maha, charge at slow... I've been doing this and all my batteries have no problem. Anyway, I was told of this charger by a good friend of mine who did an experiment on quite a few chargers (electronic experiment for assignment) and they discovered that the Maha is the most reliable (in their tests, not sure which other models they tested then)


    Cheers,
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  20. #20

    Default Re: Ni-MH battery charger?

    mmm... was thinking of getting something tt's fast, cos i'm going for a mth long euro trip,
    rest time in hostel will be short so not much time to charge my batts. heh.
    think i'll go for the maha then.

    thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •