Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dslr

Default Dslr

Hey guys,

I'm interested in getting a DSLR, but I'm not too sure what camera I should buy. Do you guys have any recommendations for a good camera for newbies to the DSLRs?

Criteria:

1. I would strongly prefer Canon because my Ixus has done a pretty good job even though its only a 2.0 megapixel. I've heard Nikon is good too, but I have never tried Nikon models before.

2. I don't really have a budget in mind, but don't choose models that cost a bomb eg. S$4000+

Thanks a lot, M Y SUM signing out!

Deregistered

Default Re: Dslr

Ok...

Canon EOS 1DS MKII
    Canon EOS 1D MII
    Canon EOS 5D

Definitely don't cost a bomb

How's about the Canon 30D, price around 2400++

Or Nikon D200?

Quote Originally Posted by espn
    Ok...

Canon EOS 1DS MKII
    Canon EOS 1D MII
    Canon EOS 5D

Definitely don't cost a bomb
    Your urgent attention is needed in this thread. http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthrea...93#post2093093

Another thing...

I want a camera that will come WITH the lens in the package.

Quote Originally Posted by mysum
    I'm not too sure what camera I should buy. Do you guys have any recommendations for a good camera for newbies to the DSLRs?
    You should not get into a dSLR system by the body.
    dSLR bodies are usually disposed or replaced in short time - the race to better bodies never stops. INSTEAD, look for good lens and invest there. Good lens will follow you for life (at least throughout your photography interest). When you have decided on the lens you want, ONLY THEN choose a body that can use it. As you can see, body is not that important.

nikon d70s d200

canon 350D 20D 30D
    I Love You :)

Quote Originally Posted by michhy
    dSLR bodies are usually disposed or replaced in short time - the race to better bodies never stops. INSTEAD, look for good lens and invest there. Good lens will follow you for life (at least throughout your photography interest). When you have decided on the lens you want, ONLY THEN choose a body that can use it. As you can see, body is not that important.
    Er, huh....?

I don't even have a DSLR body in the first place.

Wouldn't it only be right for me to buy the set first, then the lens? At least I'll have a lens with the package that works well enough.

Another thing...

I want a camera that will come WITH the lens in the package.
    For most people, the kit lens is definitely not enough to cover the range.

Quote Originally Posted by michhy
    Good advice.

I agree fully.

The lenses are more important than the body and also going to need a lot of investment... much more than the cost of 1 body.

Quote Originally Posted by Clockunder
    For most people, the kit lens is definitely not enough to cover the range.
    Hmmm..

Depending on the use of the camera, perhaps? Some would like macro lenses for photography small things up close, some like telephoto lens for faraway images, some like wide-angle lens for scenery...

But for now, I think the standard "what you see is what you get" lens is good enough for me

I think you are referring to prime lens ba.. Maybe you can invest in a 50mm f1.8 or 50mm f1.4 lens when you get your dslr body..

Hmmm..

Depending on the use of the camera, perhaps? Some would like macro lenses for photography small things up close, some like telephoto lens for faraway images, some like wide-angle lens for scenery...

But for now, I think the standard "what you see is what you get" lens is good enough for me
    Life is like photography, we develop from the negatives.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonstone
    How's about the Canon 30D, price around 2400++

Or Nikon D200?
    30D kit is only around $2.3K.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

actually...if u got no idea...go to a store tell them your budget and get them to show u a few models... but dun buy on the spot,....go back and read some reviews on the models that u were shown before deciding ...

cheers

www.dpreview.com is a gd place too

Just get the 300D plus the kit lens. you can get it below 1k
    Last edited by jimtong; 18th April 2006 at 11:30 PM.

Er, huh....?

I don't even have a DSLR body in the first place.

Wouldn't it only be right for me to buy the set first, then the lens? At least I'll have a lens with the package that works well enough.
    Yes, you are just starting. I know you havent got a body or lens yet. That is a good thing, because you can choose any system that you like. Now, I suggest you browse online and choose the lens that you like. The kit lens are rubbish most of the time, but if you insist on having the kit lens, then just buy it used - usually dirt cheap. I suggest you start with a standard lens (if you are tight on budget), like the 50mm 1.8 (or 1.4). Once you've decided on the lens, then you can start shopping for a body to use it. I'm sure you'll use the 50mm standard lens for a very very long time, while the camera body being upgraded each year or so. Do you like using 3rd party lens? Do you prefer to use only original lens? What lens do you need? How fast a lens do you want?
    Last edited by michhy; 19th April 2006 at 03:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle
    30D kit is only around $2.3K.
    Hee...I was quoting the list price

Quote Originally Posted by Moonstone
    Hee...I was quoting the list price
    Canon's price are always higher though.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

get the nikon D50 with the 18-200 VR lens. only $2.2k

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast