Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: is it rude to take photos while the person is being interviewed?

Default Re: is it rude to take photos while the person is being interviewed?

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon
    Din you tell them KRW says that D2X is obsolete and D200 is king now?
    But now assignment need D2X wor. That's why ESPN have to wait till assignment that need D200 lo.
    Anyway Off topic!

Erm, long reply, but I think u misunderstood me. I agree with you that communication is key. But not merely with the person who hired the photog. The photog needs to communicate with the PA/PR/subject as well, especially if he/she is new. I can see that the celebs and their PR/PA are more tolerant to photogs they are familiar with, but stop them all the same.

Scolding is nothing. I'm doing my job. Merely sharing my 2 cents on the other parties to talk to as well. Especially during interviews. Like YQT shared, some of them don't want flashes to be recorded. Some celebs don't want to be photographed when they're not posing. Some PA like to know when the photogs will take the photos. These are stuff that are good to know for newbies.

As for the attitude to be adopted, it's up to the photog to choose. Whether you want to do the NUTS U-turn and risk offending people, or initiate communication, and risk losing shots, is a choice the photogs gotta make. I'm just sharing the teeny bit I know, that's all.

Quote Originally Posted by jOhO
    if i hire a photographer i would ask him to shoot everything. if he gets scolded because i didn't know that he couldn't shoot during the interview, then i would be pleased that he tried, or perhaps even got the shot that he was not supposed to!

of course if i knew he wasn't allowed, and still told him to do it, i would be an a$$hole, but then again sometimes clients are like that, they want the shot and don't care how you get it.

if u want ur money, then u try ur best, if not, tell them to take their business elsewhere. personally, being scolded by any other besides my client is no skin off my nose, unless of course, it gets me on the unlawful side of things, like i dunno.. going too near to the PM? then again i've been within 2 metres of the PM shooting him... no problems there... maybe president got problem.. let u know when i have the opportunity.

anyway.. if it was so important that no photography allowed, flash or otherwise, they wouldn't let any photographers near the interview, or would specifically tell them.

end up, it's about communication.

this reminds me of the NUTS (no u-turn syndrome) article by Sim Wong Hoo. basically, in singapore u CAN only U-turn when there's a sign saying you can. in most other countries, u can't only if there's a sign saying u can't, all other occasions, u can.

it's just an anology, but putting it into this case, if i wanted to be totally singaporean, i will only shoot when they say CAN. if like that, i want to shoot more interviews liow.

Paul, gimme lobangs can, i charge cheap.

you make absolute sense, and i'm sorry if i seem to have misunderstood. of course we shouldn't be following "rules" blindly, there's of course such things as "guan xi" (as u mentioned if u are a regular, they will treat u nicer) and industry experience.

but i guess bottom line is the paying customer.

i adopt this "bottom line" is becos when we come to companies, there are alot of pple to deal with. the PR girl, the logistics manager, the GM/director who signs the quote/PO and cheque. then there's still external parties like the events company, or in this case, editors, interviewees, production/direction crew.

so.. who u gonna listen to (or ask)? i guess industry experience really helps huh?

thanx for sharing, me too really.

Quote Originally Posted by shinken
    Erm, long reply, but I think u misunderstood me. I agree with you that communication is key. But not merely with the person who hired the photog. The photog needs to communicate with the PA/PR/subject as well, especially if he/she is new. I can see that the celebs and their PR/PA are more tolerant to photogs they are familiar with, but stop them all the same.

Scolding is nothing. I'm doing my job. Merely sharing my 2 cents on the other parties to talk to as well. Especially during interviews. Like YQT shared, some of them don't want flashes to be recorded. Some celebs don't want to be photographed when they're not posing. Some PA like to know when the photogs will take the photos. These are stuff that are good to know for newbies.

As for the attitude to be adopted, it's up to the photog to choose. Whether you want to do the NUTS U-turn and risk offending people, or initiate communication, and risk losing shots, is a choice the photogs gotta make. I'm just sharing the teeny bit I know, that's all.

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by blurrblurr
    because this commercial assignment only want D2X. Do you have one?
    Don't have

Aiyo.... pls dun say that. People will laugh off their chairs. I totally understand where you come from and I guess we have some kind of common understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by jOhO
    you make absolute sense, and i'm sorry if i seem to have misunderstood. of course we shouldn't be following "rules" blindly, there's of course such things as "guan xi" (as u mentioned if u are a regular, they will treat u nicer) and industry experience.

but i guess bottom line is the paying customer.

i adopt this "bottom line" is becos when we come to companies, there are alot of pple to deal with. the PR girl, the logistics manager, the GM/director who signs the quote/PO and cheque. then there's still external parties like the events company, or in this case, editors, interviewees, production/direction crew.

so.. who u gonna listen to (or ask)? i guess industry experience really helps huh?

thanx for sharing, me too really.

Quote Originally Posted by shinken
    Erm, long reply, but I think u misunderstood me. I agree with you that communication is key. But not merely with the person who hired the photog. The photog needs to communicate with the PA/PR/subject as well, especially if he/she is new. I can see that the celebs and their PR/PA are more tolerant to photogs they are familiar with, but stop them all the same...............

Shoot 1st, talk later. There is no 2nd chance.

Quote Originally Posted by AReality
    pro comment

Quote Originally Posted by AReality
    ... good for u
    Last edited by shinken; 27th April 2006 at 07:52 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12