Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wireless flash firing?!? Please advise

Default Re: wireless flash firing?!? please advise

Quote Originally Posted by crackz
    wow, thanks for the link!

not sure if they deliver to singapore though... if not, i have friends in KL or malacca...

Check out Tunster's MO. Its the same product.

Today I using the cheapo radio trigger in the studio portraits session, a couples of mobile phone rings, from my clients and the make up artist, it tured my studio lights into disco lights, and blown the fuse of one of the studio light, what the hack!!

It is time to go for Pocket Wizards, before this cheapo radio trigger casue all my metz flashs blown during location shoot.

astroboy, you don't know what we're talking about lah

SB800 detects the flash with an optical slave, that's why it goes off, but Pocketwizards work on the principle of radio transmission. but if you don't use strobe lighting that much there are better alternatives.personally for wireless setups using flashes such as Nikon or Canon flashes, I would use a small flash on the hot-shoe to trigger off the other off-camera flashes using their optical slave mode.
    Using a pocketwizard for Nikon or Camera flashes seems abit like overkill...(pain in the ass to paste the pocketwizard on the flash)

I need pocket wizards like i need a bullet in the head.
    Last edited by astroboy; 22nd April 2006 at 05:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by astroboy
    I need pocket wizards like i need a bullet in the head.

Don't need to be so sensitive, Astroboy, eat some humble pie and admit your mistake. After all you are human.

Don't need to put down pocket wizards, it is a good tool to have, if you can afford it. If you can't so be it,nothing to be ashamed of, you won't be thought of any different.

To astroboy,

In the first place, I am sure you that don't understand why strobist is using all the SB28 flash, small umbrella, mini lighting stands and cheap stuffs, but yet using two pairs of "pocket wizards"? But do you also notice what cameras and lens his is using also? It boil down a few words to describe why his uses these equipments according to the priority, reliability, compact, mobility, economy.

To the thread starter,

I have a bad experience with the cheapo radio trigger this morning, it fails and embarrass me, I can't ask everyone to switch off their mobile phones during the shoot, what if this happens during location shoot? And one or two of my lights is down because this?

If it is hobbyist, of course it may not not justify the purchase, but as a professional, ought to use something more reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights
    To astroboy,

In the first place, I am sure you that don't understand why strobist is using all the SB28 flash, small umbrella, mini lighting stands and cheap stuffs, but yet using two pairs of "pocket wizards"? But do you also notice what cameras and lens his is using also? It boil down a few words to describe why his uses these equipments according to the priority, reliability, compact, mobility, economy.

To the thread starter,

I have a bad experience with the cheapo radio trigger this morning, it fails and embarrass me, I can't ask everyone to switch off their mobile phones during the shoot, what if this happens during location shoot? And one or two of my lights is down because this?

If it is hobbyist, of course it may not not justify the purchase, but as a professional, ought to use something more reliable.

ok. i'm the thread starter. thanks for your info. guess its a good thing that i didn't buy it yet... but i'm not pro lah and so maybe it does the job for me will see how things go.

thanks for your feedback anyway! i hope you can get them pocket wizards cheaper. try Ebay USA. i found 1 seller from canada that is selling camera equipment. they letting go new ones at US$280.

you can use vpost to send back here to singapore if you don't have anyone coming back soon from the USA.

thanks all!

Well said!!!!

Just get whatever works best for you. Of course pocket wizards are one of the best $ can buy in the market right now, but have to justify if you guys shoot outdoors with strobes often. Personally I'm still using the cheaper radio trigger/receiver from Jinbei. It works great and I have 100% trigger. However, like what catchlights mentioned, sometimes it gets interfered by mobile phones and trigger like mad. When you have close to 30 ppl in your studio / outdoors near you with mobile phones, it isn't even possible to get them to all switch off the phones. As for optical trigger like Nikon's CLS or Canon's ST-E2 (I'm using this too), I find the triggering distance and angle too short for outdoor work.
    If you understand my works, it's photography. If you don't, it's art.
    SplutterPhotography|flickr

Well at least u r smarter than that honda fellow.. who seems to be pushing hard for pocket wizards... think mebbe he works for cathay. Or mebbe he got suckered by them American magazines and is now trying very hard justify his foolish cash outlay.

I have been shooting for donkey years professionally and have not seen the need for pocket wizards. There r so many cheaper alternatives out there.

If u can get it cheap, go ahead. But it will look stupid on your camera hotshoe... and when u shoot models, it will actually get in the way when u need to tilt your camera often... not to mention it will make the shooter look like a clown with this funny thing sticking out of his camera.

Enuff said... time to move on

Quote Originally Posted by crackz
    ok. i'm the thread starter. thanks for your info. guess its a good thing that i didn't buy it yet... but i'm not pro lah and so maybe it does the job for me will see how things go.

thanks for your feedback anyway! i hope you can get them pocket wizards cheaper. try Ebay USA. i found 1 seller from canada that is selling camera equipment. they letting go new ones at US$280.

you can use vpost to send back here to singapore if you don't have anyone coming back soon from the USA.

thanks all!

I used to believe everything i read in my younger days... now i tend to read between the lines. Has it ever occured to u... this guy is proposing some pretty brilliant DIY home-made solutions and suddenly he is proposing PocketWizards which is way beyond the DIY shooter's budget... ever asked WHY? It seems SO out of context...

Come on, he is probably PAID. Or sponsored to promote PWs.

To astroboy,

I used to believe everything i read in my younger days... now i tend to read between the lines. Has it ever occured to u... this guy is proposing some pretty brilliant DIY home-made solutions and suddenly he is proposing PocketWizards which is way beyond the DIY shooter's budget... ever asked WHY? It seems SO out of context...

Come on, he is probably PAID. Or sponsored to promote PWs.
    Do you have proof to substantiate your claim highlighted in red above?

Refering to your post #10
    There is a china-made brand selling in KL for half that price... RM100/- at DirectPhoto.
    www.directphoto.com.my
    Are you promoting this website because you have a stake in it?

Pls reply here. Thanks.

Last edited by AReality; 23rd April 2006 at 02:07 AM.

Whoa! Don't get your underwear in a knot, it seems to be cutting off the blood to your head and you aren't thinking properly. Since when was I ever pushing the pocket wizards, just for your information and I hate to disappoint you, but I don't work for Cathay Photo. Sorry!

But in this thread so far, just humour me for abit, has anything bad been said about the pocket wizards, I don't think so. Even splutter said, "Of course pocket wizards are one of the best $ can buy in the market right now". Are you going to accuse him of "pushing hard for pocket wizards" or "mebbe he works for cathay. Or mebbe he got suckered by them American magazines". Common so which is it??? Can you get your arguments right?? Maybe you need to undo the knotts in your underwear get some blood flowing to the brain.

And for you to accuse writer of the blog of having some stake in Pocket Wizards is wrong. Everyone has to start somewhere, he is just trying to share the wealth of his experience with people who aren't independently wealthy or the people who can afford the Pocket Wizards, a DIY/cheaper alternative to having wirelss capabilities. He's just trying to help out the photogaphers who are just starting of on their careers and do not have the luxury of purchasing expensive eqquipment.

I said "it is a good tool to have, if you can afford it." I could afford it and so I got it. And so what if you have been "shooting for donkey years professionally", if you haven't found a need for the pocket wizards, so what.

Hey if you have found cheaper alternatives for what you need and use them for...GREAT!!! I'm not going to fault you just because you don't use them or find them looking "stupid on your camera hotshoe... and when u shoot models, it will actually get in the way when u need to tilt your camera often... not to mention it will make the shooter look like a clown with this funny thing sticking out of his camera." So what! You are entitled to your own opinions and observations, no matter how unfounded and silly they are or not. Your reasoning, if you even want to call it that, I know I wouldn't, is so flawed.

So is your external flash on your camera look "stupid on your camera hotshoe... and when u shoot models, it will actually get in the way when u need to tilt your camera often... not to mention it will make the shooter look like a clown with this funny thing sticking out of his camera".

Damn!!! So all you guys out there that shoot with your SB and EX flashes, you "look like a clown with this funny thing sticking out" of your camera.

You get what you pay for and if you haven't read the earlier posts, obviously you haven't, the cheaper alternatives do have their limitations. You can buy the cheaper alternatives, or even the infrared transmitters and recievers and whatever else is out there. That is your choice. I made the decision to go with the Pocket Wizards because I have seen and experienced what they can do. And I'll say it again if you can afford them buy them, you will not regret investing in them.

Time to move on.... you say? Then why are you still posting and taking things totally out of context.

I was just trying to correct you and point out the flaws in your observations in your earlier posts.

Does anybody know if TTL can be used with the Pocket Wizards... I think not but just want to be sure..

No TTL, you were right in your assumption.

They are just used to trigger the strobes unless you use it to remote trigger your camera with a hotshoe flash mounted.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12