Thread: Advice on lightin setup for home studio using flash

Default Advice on lightin setup for home studio using flash

Hi everyone

Have been thinking about setting up a small home studio for portraits/product shots for some time and am pretty clueless even after looking at the Manfrotto website on studio lighting support. The guide on portrait shooting is pretty good - http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/site/manfrotto/pid/2478

My question is - what is the simplest and not too expensive setup to get good results? Can I use a SB800 on a softbox and stand and maybe adding a second SB800 flash as a secondary strobe on the floor using its own stand for catchlights?

Cheers.. all comments appreciated!

Default Re: Advice on lightin setup for home studio using flash

u could..... check out strobist's blog man...its a good read and very related to your question

Thanks Witness! a great read... any advice where to get the manfrotto/bogen 3373 and an umbrella and the umbrella/hot shoe mount? I think thats all I need to start since I can use the wireless setup on my D70 to trigger the sb800.

all these you can get from cathy or ruby. but some of them currently no stock.

if you don't waiting, check out the MO threads in consumers corner, you can get these items you need cheaper.

hope this help.

Buy a set of Akira studio lights. 2 light boxes, 2 umbrellas, 3 lighting stand, 3 miserable flash heads with modelling lamp and wireless trigger for less than $600 (not even enough to buy a SB-800).

You can get it in Akira showroom opposite IMM or level 3 Bugis, in that big electronics shop used to be V8 don't know what it's called now, I think I saw a set there at one of the corners near the camera counter.
    http://www.myakira.com/products/show...id=124&id=1023
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 18th April 2006 at 03:28 PM.

The ball bungees are really useful.. and the foldable compact umbrella... anybody knows where they are sold in singapore?