Thread: Anyone knows how to re-dry the silicon gel

Default Anyone knows how to re-dry the silicon gel

Need to recycle it, can use microwave to heat it? will it blow up?
    Share ur experience pls

Default Re: Anyone knows how to re-dry the silicon gel

Quote Originally Posted by hl2
    Share ur experience pls
    Will not blow up. But please noticed, the blue colour for humidity indicator in Silica Gel is Cobalt Chloride, which is carcinogen.

Regards,
    Arto.

Not sure microwave can use or not.
    I tried using toaster before, turns out ok.
    Do not use too high temperature, put in a big flat tray, need to shake the tray after awhile when the top ones turns blue.
    Those that turn cloudy are spoilt, can throw away
    Dreaming... 14mm f2.8, 16-35 f2.8 mkII, 85 f1.2 mkII

I use microwave. a handful will take exactly 3 mins

i use microwave too.. have been using it for over a year.. after what arto said.. maybe it's time I stopped using silica gel altogether. Since it's harmful.. why do they still sell it so cheaply? cheap source of poison?!
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

Just used the Micro to heat it, seems working. pink turned blue after heat, but after cooling it turns back a bit again, do you heat a few time when reborn them? Thanks all for sharing.

Just used the Micro to heat it, seems working. pink turned blue after heat, but after cooling it turns back a bit again, do you heat a few time when reborn them? Thanks all for sharing.
    In the process of cooling down, the silica gel will absorb water from air again, that's why it can't stay blue. You might consider to put it on a glass jar and sealed from air after heat it with microwave.

But, it is better to have a dry cab.

Regards,
    Arto.

Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay
    i use microwave too.. have been using it for over a year.. after what arto said.. maybe it's time I stopped using silica gel altogether. Since it's harmful.. why do they still sell it so cheaply? cheap source of poison?!
    Look through google give me an orange silica gel as a next updated version of blue silica gel. Contains no Cobalt Chloride, so it is non carcinogen (hopefully).

Regards,
    Arto.

i recently recycled my silica gel for the first time. i used a microwave on low heat for about 2 minutes. after some trial and errors i observed that-
    • it is best to reheat a single layer of silica gel at a time by spreading it on a plate.
    • it is better to do it in 2 phases because some silica gel tends to stick to the plate. it is better to turn it around after the first phase.
    • the plate tends to get moist when removed from the microwave. this turns the cobalt blue gel into a slightly lighter shade quite fast.
    • i put it back in a jar as soon as i took it out of the microwave. i also put layers of tissue paper because there was some moisture on the surface of the silica gel. i removed the paper before eventually storing it.
    eventually, although it turns to the original colour in the microwave, it loses a bit of colour immediately. reheating it many times doesnt solve the problem. so i just live with it.

hope this helps

Thanks all!

i bought this recyclable drying pack from the DIY shop... it has an indicator on the plastic pack. once it is saturated with moisture, u can plug it into the wall power outlet overnight... and u can use it again.

sure beats heating/frying the blue gel... less messy

Share ur experience pls
    y u ned re-dry the Silica Gel in the 1st place? ?? but the Silica Gel was quite cheap in the Market .... around $8.00 per bottle ... u can find it in any photo shop or Harvey Norman ...etc . but if u use it in the dry cabinet (which to store ur Camera) u wil find it was hard to adjust the RH level (humidity Level suitable to store for the Camera & lens was 45% to 55% RH) ... If u ned to store ur Camera u better get a electrical Dry Box coz it can give u the better control on the Humidity ... 30L in the Market around $100....

P/s : If u not using it to store ur Camera then just ignore it ...
    Last edited by hugoleong; 19th April 2006 at 10:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hugoleong
    y u ned re-dry the Silica Gel in the 1st place? ?? but the Silica Gel was quite cheap in the Market .... around $8.00 per bottle ... u can find it in any photo shop or Harvey Norman ...etc . but if u use it in the dry cabinet (which to store ur Camera) u wil find it was hard to adjust the RH level (humidity Level suitable to store for the Camera & lens was 45% to 55% RH) ... If u ned to store ur Camera u better get a electrical Dry Box coz it can give u the better control on the Humidity ... 30L in the Market around $100....

P/s : If u not using it to store ur Camera then just ignore it ...
    I think you can find it at around 3 to 4 dollars... 8 dollars is cut throat..
    Canon 300D, 30D, 5D. 17-40 f4 L, 24-105 f4 L, 70-200 f2.8 L IS

i used to use toasters to recycle my silica gel. done it a few times until my dad got a dry cab. i got a few bottles of gel, so i always fill the trays, then take out and "stir fry" when the top layer turns blue. cos too much so bot part is still pink. i got no issues with them turning pink when cooling though. think cos there's too much. lol. alternatively u can fry them on the wok. heat takes away the moisture. i read in previous similar threads that it works for some to put in dry cab. havent tried it myself.

Currently renting a room to stay so no much place to put a dry cabin, also bulky when moving........definitly will BBB one after i got my own house

Quote Originally Posted by djork
    I think you can find it at around 3 to 4 dollars... 8 dollars is cut throat..
    yeah should be around $3... dun pay $8 for it