Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AU Jardine...Anyone been?

Dormant

Default AU Jardine...Anyone been?

Hi, any body been to this french restuarant at bontanic garden? tried their food? told very expensive. Like to know if worth dump money........don't mind if really really good.

WKM

Default Re: AU Jardine...Anyone been?

Quote Originally Posted by WKM
    Hi, any body been to this french restuarant at bontanic garden? tried their food? told very expensive. Like to know if worth dump money........don't mind if really really good.

WKM
    Its good. But before you go, fill up on char kuay teow first
    Personally, I'd rather save up for lens!!!

Yes be prepared to spend a little for fine dining like Au Jardine. It's a very good local chef. His name is Galvin Lim and one of the promising chefs for a French restaurants.

Food is good with nice ambience. Best is the ask the chef to select his best but again be prepared to pay. Actually food is not that expensive if you do not dine with any wines.

well it depends whether you appreciate French cuisine anot right?

I last went there when Justin Quek was cooking. Not sure about now but last time there is only two choices, vegetarian ($125+++) or non-vegetarian ($115+++). by the time you add the wine and everything it comes to $300 per head. but ambience is very good, the right place to impress the right people.

Quote Originally Posted by hwchoy
    I last went there when Justin Quek was cooking.
    Justin Quek never really cooked there. The Resident Chef is Galvin Lim since Day One.

Dormant

Quote Originally Posted by Pro Image
    Yes be prepared to spend a little for fine dining like Au Jardine. It's a very good local chef. His name is Galvin Lim and one of the promising chefs for a French restaurants.

Food is good with nice ambience. Best is the ask the chef to select his best but again be prepared to pay. Actually food is not that expensive if you do not dine with any wines.

Just spoke to one friend, said a man who had crush over her invited her there last month. Without any wine, the bill is $113 per head, with all the plus plus in, the bill is more than $300 for 2. She loved the ambience but not the company, an old man who lied on his marital status. Because of her intuition, she insisted no wine and early go-home. Lucky fella! must look for right guy to go with ...........

Dormant

Sorry....typing error.....bill is $140 per person, after plus plus plus in, total bill is more than $300 for 2 persons.

Quote Originally Posted by bowwow
    Justin Quek never really cooked there. The Resident Chef is Galvin Lim since Day One.
    I think hwchoy meant Les Amis in town. This uncle is a little blur liao lar.....

Sorry....typing error.....bill is $140 per person, after plus plus plus in, total bill is more than $300 for 2 persons.
    $300? For fine dining.....it's quite normal for restaurant like Au Jardin and Les Amis.

What trying to hook a sucker into going to Au Jardin? Easy lar to solve........but it's a secret!

Quote Originally Posted by bowwow
    well I'm not sure who actually did the cooking, but it was certainly Justin who greeted us when we left. I mean his face is not that easily confused

it was back in early 99 just after the NYTimes article came out. seven of us spent $2200+, a bit on the high side for our entertainment budget but the boss was there so lucky me.
    Last edited by hwchoy; 17th April 2006 at 12:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pro Image
    I think hwchoy meant Les Amis in town. This uncle is a little blur liao lar.....
    no lah the one in the gardens lah, never been to les amis in town as I'm not really high on french food. we didn't have the window seat though as there were seven of us. do note that $300+ per head is because we had champagne, white, red and if I recall correctly, brandy at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by hwchoy
    no lah the one in the gardens lah, never been to les amis in town as I'm not really high on french food. we didn't have the window seat though as there were seven of us. do note that $300+ per head is because we had champagne, white, red and if I recall correctly, brandy at the end.

This uncle is right!!and really know how to enjoy life!haha. Well, for end of the meal,it's possible that you had brandy,or you might have a dessert wine,which is usually a fortified wine like port. Fortified wines are wines that have spirits like brandy added into them during their fermentation period i tink.

The Les Amis group of restaurants has many different outlets now. Their flagship shop is of course the on in town, while Au Jardin can be considered their signature outlet for a good romantic ambience?somethingl like that.

Is it worth the money?well,if you are adventurous and would like to try fine dining, Au Jardin would be a good place start with and to spend the money. Best if you go with a date or someone you like, after all the ambience is really quite romantic to a certain extent. you can check their menu online first and see if there are any exotic dishes that might frighten you or don't feel like eating.Also, the good thing there is that they have a vegetarian menu,so our vegan friends are never left out here.

actually my favourite restaurant is Club Chinois when Susur Lee was helming. Again I'm not sure who was doing the cooking haha but Susur was definitely there with his ponytail.

Quote Originally Posted by nonchann
    This uncle is right!!and really know how to enjoy life!haha.

the only thing I remembered from that evening was the bill (or the size thereof) and the foie gra. sibeh good!

WKM
    Worth it, every penny. Only restuarant in Singapore that is worth the ransome that you will have to pay. If you don't drink, the damage is quite managable, but you will be missing alot. By the way, Au Jardin's service is the absolute best in Singapore.

Food at Au Jardin is perhaps the only Les Amis restuarant that maintained its standard. Les Amis at Shaw Center, I won't pay a penny to eat there. Food actually is ok, but the service sucks.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

I agreed it is worth every penny. Been there last yr after a CSer help me . Ur other half will not forget the romantic and the food.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet
    Worth it, every penny. Only restuarant in Singapore that is worth the ransome that you will have to pay. If you don't drink, the damage is quite managable, but you will be missing alot. By the way, Au Jardin's service is the absolute best in Singapore.

Food at Au Jardin is perhaps the only Les Amis restuarant that maintained its standard. Les Amis at Shaw Center, I won't pay a penny to eat there. Food actually is ok, but the service sucks.
    I agree with you on that! After both justin and Iggy(ignatius) left, things were never really the same at Les Amis. Only Au Jardin has stayed true to the cause of giving good service!

There are some other places that you can try for the same amount as well,but it won't be as romantic as Au Jardin I feel. Saint Julien comes in a close second followed by Saint Pierres(*note both Saint- Restaurants are not related in any ways).And maybe Raffles grill at Raffles Hotel too.

Average expect to pay about $120-$150 per head. Food is good, Service is excellent. If you need to impress, this is better than the hotels ....
    But for half the budget, fine dine at Da Pablo, 81 Neil Road ..... food is excellent, service is excellent, ambience is good.
    always the Light, .... always.

Just curious...who's the boss of Les Amis?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast