View Poll Results: What do you first notice in a photograph?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • Aesthetic Details

59 92.19%
  • Technical Details

5 7.81%

Thread: What do you first notice in a photo?

Default What do you first notice in a photo?

For me, the picture has to look creative enough first, before I go into the technical details like composition, focus, distractions etc..

Default Re: What do you first notice in a photo?

If the photo doesn't even look pleasing, I won't even go so far as to wonder about the technical details. If I wonder about the technical details, it's to see if i can reproduce such a shot, or to see how it could have been improved.

Honestly speaking, the technical details help add into the aesthetics of the picture. Its difficult to split the 2. For eg, you can have a wonderful subject or subject interest, but if the composition/exposure/background is not so good, the picture falls flat on its face. Comparatively, great/creative lighting, background which accentuates the subject etc all help make an ordinary subject in a great story telling picture.

if there's humans. the faces.

Quote Originally Posted by unseen
    If the photo doesn't even look pleasing, I won't even go so far as to wonder about the technical details. If I wonder about the technical details, it's to see if i can reproduce such a shot, or to see how it could have been improved.
    haha true true.. but for me not just the technical details but also what the photographer is trying to convey in the shot, the creativity/story goes with the technical details.. but in the end, like art, depends on personal tastes also... lol

yar. it amazes me how some professional photographers rave about a particular photo that i feel has no interesting subject.. owell... technical parts are difficult to refine too anyway so maybe i'm too green to really appreciate it.

My opinion, both are equally important. For some, aesthetics can come first. Cos we tend to look at the overall pic, e.g. the beautiful bldgs in a landscape.... However, technical might also come first as technical details like focus, exposure or lighting. affects the output of a beautiful photo. So it all depends on individual viewing..... and how much the viewer understand photography...

NIKON D600 |Voigtlander 125 F/2.5 |Nikon 50mm F/1.8D|Tamron 60mm F/2.0 macro

The colour... I love contrasty colours. Then I look at the image what it's about.

../azul123

The light, of course!

But then, I am all about the light!

everything? hahahahah

How come dun have emotion? I look for emotion first, then composition, last technical stuff.

I will always try to find out what message the photographer wants to tell in his photo.