Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is D50 a good camera for sports photography?

Deregistered

Default Re: Is D50 a good camera for sports photography?

KRW

Quote Originally Posted by espn
    KRW

Thanks all for the valuable input. I'm greatly appreciated.

First of all my objective is to get a entry-level DSLR with reasonable performance especially with respect to sports photography. The sports that I will most likely be shooting often will be football. However my constraints are my budgets.

I'm willing to spend up to 2K for a body, telezoom lens, memory card etc.. possible to get a set like this with 2k?
    How much is D50 selling for now?

Correct me if I'm wrong, the main technique for sports photography is to anticipate the action then have a series of "burst shooting"?
    Do i need to use a tripod for steady shots?

Quote Originally Posted by sound-of-rev

First of all my objective is to get a entry-level DSLR with reasonable performance especially with respect to sports photography. The sports that I will most likely be shooting often will be football. However my constraints are my budgets.

I'm willing to spend up to 2K for a body, telezoom lens, memory card etc.. possible to get a set like this with 2k?

Correct me if I'm wrong, the main technique for sports photography is to anticipate the action then have a series of "burst shooting"?
    A 2k budget would be quite tight. Knowing how they play the sport you're shooting also helps you so that you know when the action would be taking place. There are many different techniques, I used to burst but now I control most of my shots by timing it and only bursting when necessary.

Do you don't need a tripod as most sports if you want to freeze motion you need a fast shutter speed. And a tripod would be unwieldy in most places/cumbersome to carry around. If your lens is heavy/you want to try out panning, I would suggest you get a monopod instead.

Blog Entries

if u dun mind, get a used DSLR in Buy/Sell. dat will save u a fair bit of money for other stuff. the last i saw, the D50 was going for ard $800, IIRC, here.

cards are relatively cheap nowadays. i think Eastgear is still having their promos of memory cards. a relatively good telephoto lens u can consider is the sigma 70-200/f2.8 for ard $1k.

and yes... u are almost there in dat u know a bit of technique. burst shooting is nice, if u want to be very sure to get the shot. then again, if u dun know how to anticipate, all u get is a burst of inconsequential action shots. as n0d3 suggested, a good lightweight monopod with a small ballhead will do wonders for stability.

2K is doable, if u dun mind used stuff.
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

I don't mind used stuff as long is usable and in good condition.

Yeah i'm considering Sigma 70-200/f2.8, perhaps can get this 2nd hand as well haha.
    How about Tokina AT-X 828 AF PRO? 80-200 f2.8

I've used a Sony F717 before and do know a little about techniques in photograpy, but that's a couple of years back. I think I can pick up the techniques up fast again .. abit rusty now.

Perhaps will get the set after May after the progress package comes in lol. Basically now is collecting information before i invest my $$ in it.

Thanks all.
    Last edited by sound-of-rev; 14th April 2006 at 09:38 PM.

Yeah i'm considering Sigma 70-200/f2.8, perhaps can get this 2nd hand as well haha.

I've used a Sony F717 before and do know a little about techniques in photograpy, but that's a couple of years back. I think I can pick up the techniques up fast again .. abit rusty now.

Perhaps will get the set after May after the progress package comes in lol. Basically now is collecting information before i invest my $$ in it.

Thanks all.
    let yr budget go to 3k then start buying... don't let $ limit to the equipment that you are buying.

Blog Entries

Thanks all.
    i had the tokina one b4... its heavy, and possibly can use as a self-defence weapon in case anyone gets in ur way of dat shot!

seriously tho, i'll take the sigma over the tokina, all things being equalled. save up lor? may is only 2 wks away....
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

Quote Originally Posted by nightwolf75
    i had the tokina one b4... its heavy, and possibly can use as a self-defence weapon in case anyone gets in ur way of dat shot!

seriously tho, i'll take the sigma over the tokina, all things being equalled. save up lor? may is only 2 wks away....
    hmm.. lets Progress with our camera!

All is said enght...
    Some of you shoot without thinking at all. much less those who hadnt got a hand of using the system..
    SAve up and eat grass for a few month and you wun regard getting it .. My advice; Unless you are dead serious in Sport photography. Otherwise you will be wasting your $ on buying and selling. You wun be even sure wat you want even if you are hold a D2x and not knowing how to use it is the same if you are given a 1 Ds II . I know pple that sold off AFS70 - 200 mm and getting a Sigma 70 -200 instead.. That what i call ignorant

save up and spent on a D2H and a AFS 70 -200 or the F4 300mm..

Try that and you tell me whether is it good engh for Nikon..

Another alternative is a 2nd hand 20D.
    OK, AF and just nice framing rate.
    Price is very good also...

i've shot sports few years back with my old 300D + 80-200 f4.5-5.6 non-USM and got decent results..
    eat. drink. shoot

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by +evenstar
    i've shot sports few years back with my old 300D + 80-200 f4.5-5.6 non-USM and got decent results..
    Wah.. a few years ago I can't even afford a 300D and 80-200 f/4.5-5.6

Quote Originally Posted by Watcher
    When the photographer is good, the equipment used matters little; when the photographer is poor, the equipment matters not.
    You can't deny the fact that technological advances have made photography more accessible to the masses and helps to get THAT shot you want EASIER.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12