Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stopped by security guards while taking photos of buildings

Default Re: Stopped by security guards while taking photos of buildings

Becos angmoh english powderful mah, that is why our security cannot fight win them if they use chim angmoh on them. Furthermore, ang moh like to sue here n there n so, the security guards will close one eye.

For us local, easy to bully mah. Like I kenna bully by a bunch of securtiy during the new year eve. I made a wrong exit in orchard MRT n abt to go back in the station, the security who is infront of me asked me to go down to the street instead. Really want to make a big fuss down there but don't think I will win in such situation. Just go to the street n walk a big rd to the other side.

Local security really
    Only Sony device mostly, haha!

Erm... hold on a second. U went up the wrong exit and was about to go back into the station when u are told not to go back into the station?

I'm personally ok if Security Guards touch grey areas like photography of buildings and stuff like dat, but to restrict ur movement as to where u can exit and enter a train station when there are no restricted entry signs, entrance for authorised personnel only or any other barricades that explicitly forbids re-entrance in the area is absolutely ridiculous.

It made me wonder why did u buckle in that time.
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn
    Erm... hold on a second. U went up the wrong exit and was about to go back into the station when u are told not to go back into the station?

I'm personally ok if Security Guards touch grey areas like photography of buildings and stuff like dat, but to restrict ur movement as to where u can exit and enter a train station when there are no restricted entry signs, entrance for authorised personnel only or any other barricades that explicitly forbids re-entrance in the area is absolutely ridiculous.

It made me wonder why did u buckle in that time.
    One of the security saw me as they forming a human chain at the exit for the MRT station which lead towards the orchard road. Then I told him that I am going to the other side for bus (I stay west). He say and then, another senior one come by and say too. In the end, I was force to go down the road. With so many of them, how to resist? No choice lor, got to do whatever been told lor. If make a big fuss over there, mostly ended up in a detention room n got "special" treatment from them one. Or maybe up to the police car I go, need to pay fine inorder to get out. Anyway, I hate those security who misuse their power.
    Only Sony device mostly, haha!

Quote Originally Posted by donchua
    I was also stopped by a Tampines Mall security guard when I want to take pic
    of my wife & girl with the CNY deco inside the mall.
    Ohh..I was testing my new flash at the basement (food) level last month. Took several shots in the Jap restaurant, in front of Hock Hua and then in the NTUC supermarket leh. No problem, perhaps the jaga was took busy with other stuff.

vince123123
    Guests

Thumbs up for you!

You can also remind them that it may be a criminal offence to impersonate a public officer.

Quote Originally Posted by hazmee
    This is the part when I agree with the Taiwanese guy saying 'some' Singaporeans are stupid. I have been a 'victim' of ignorance and racism from security guards/police officers whenever I am shooting in 'public' places. Many times the guards would stop me just because I am brown but they never would stop the ang moh.

I bet they're thinking inside their bloody heads, "Oh he's a tourist, so its ok, but that brown man looks like a very brown and very singaporean so must tell him not to shoot. Easier mah. But must show to foreigners that we're nice people."

So yeah, its not an easy job being a guard or a law-enforcer, but that doesnt mean its ok to make to make silly assumptions. Sometimes, those guards come up with their own laws and rules and claim "management from the top" says so. I often ask who and what are their names. They normally dont know. Pfft.

I was stopped by a bunch of strangers who claims to be working for PUB at the Pandan Reservoir the other night for shooting the night skies. I asked them to show their pass as proof and they confidently said they didnt need to. They said I wasnt allow to shoot the reservoir for commercial purposes. I told them I wasnt doing this for commercial purposes but purely for hobby. He told me to leave immediately or he would call the police. I gladly told him to go ahead and call the police while I enjoy shooting the night scene in peace.

Surpisingly, the police didnt even turn up and I was there for more than two hours shooting peacefully. Sometimes, I wonder if everything in singapore is just a big joke. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by hazmee

So yeah, its not an easy job being a guard or a law-enforcer, but that doesnt mean its ok to make to make silly assumptions. Sometimes, those guards come up with their own laws and rules and claim "management from the top" says so. I often ask who and what are their names. They normally dont know. Pfft.

I was stopped by a bunch of strangers who claims to be working for PUB at the Pandan Reservoir the other night for shooting the night skies. I asked them to show their pass as proof and they confidently said they didnt need to. They said I wasnt allow to shoot the reservoir for commercial purposes. I told them I wasnt doing this for commercial purposes but purely for hobby. He told me to leave immediately or he would call the police. I gladly told him to go ahead and call the police while I enjoy shooting the night scene in peace.

Surpisingly, the police didnt even turn up and I was there for more than two hours shooting peacefully. Sometimes, I wonder if everything in singapore is just a big joke. LOL!

Good job! We need more pple like you show that we photographers are not to b messed around.

Quote Originally Posted by zhang3feng
    i think all this shd be voice out in ST forum~ speak up for our inncoent photographers
    time to ask someone who is powerful in english to write le...

just wondering, does anyone ever make a complaint to a gov authority ?

maybe pretend to be a tourist and complain it to Singapore Tourism Board

if tourists are never stopped, how to complain?
    eat. drink. shoot

Quote Originally Posted by +evenstar
    if tourists are never stopped, how to complain?
    i did stop once at wheellock place but I am consider as a foreign student

ha ha.....

even those tourist are stopped by the security, i would doubt they will make any complaints

vince123123
    Guests

Thumbs up!!!

maybe one day they put signboard on dedicated places "Photography Allowed" like "Can U-Turn here".
    never have been at a place (now since 3 years here) with such a high density of photographers, soon all of them gather in the zoo or the botanic garden only.
    Soon handphone also "not allowed here" ? because of camera built-in ?
    seems we need to go overseas soon to take pictures *sarcastic*.
    cheers

Smile Re: Stopped by security guards while taking photos of buildings

Hmm.. i was once stopped oso while taking pics outside the OAC building. The security there was very friendly and explained its his manager's decision.

Can i say one thing for them... they are [security] guards. Thats their job i suppose. Whether they are armed, old or u know lar, some dun speak very good english. Their job is just that. Blame 9/11 lor.

For my incident i put myself in his shoes and thought "ya true also, nowadays things are VERY different". Price of freedom = Eternal vigilance? Hope that's not the way we want our world to end up...

I understand the frustration though when my lens is pointed at a pavement and people come and say "dun shoot building"

Let's not allow 9/11 and those goons who caused it to affect us and the way we treat others (both ways), at the end of the day we (the photogs & the guards) are on the same side right? Im happy in SG we have people who bother to take security that bit more seriously
    Last edited by granni; 19th April 2006 at 10:21 AM.

with 3megapixel handphone cam coming out soon, i wonder how they are going to stop everyone from taking pictures.

Well, I was ever taking pics of old crumbling shophouses being boarded up for demolition. I was standing in the alley, and these workers came out and said loudly no photography. I carried on, and they threatened to call police!!!!

Say need permit and stuff.

Guess what?
    I went to the main road and continued shooting (workers in alley), and this guy in pickup truck came by and asked what I was doing. I told him the same thing I told the workers, and he just said ok and walked away into the shophouse! I presume he's the foreman or supervisor.

Hehhe... I think next time if the guards threaten to call the police when you are standing on public roads, etc.. Volunteer to call the police for them.. Use your handphone and call the police.. explain to the police that the security guards are harassing you for taking photos while you are not on private property.

Pretend say your (insert relationship name (relative/family member)) is police.

'Call' and tell them the real laws.

i've some guy who claims that he's a security guard and he'll shoot you with his weapon if you take a photo of the building he's in charge of.

anyone can clarify under what circumstances an armed guard can shoot? IIRC, it's only to disarm an attacker or as self defence only?
    eat. drink. shoot

"DON'T SHOOT OR I'LL SHOOT!!!" ???

Guards think they are lawmakers?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast