Thread: Cats, neglected.

Default Cats, neglected.

Are they for life, or for fun, only to be dumped at your whims?

Please critque, why you like or dislike the photo, where are the distracting elements, be harsh on the attempt at dodging and burning to increase emphasis etc. Where to improve if in future I shoot such shots.

Germ

Default Re: Cats, neglected.

it's kinda odd to have a totally blank black space there.. is there a copy of original?
    Canon 300D, 30D, 5D. 17-40 f4 L, 24-105 f4 L, 70-200 f2.8 L IS

I like the shot as it is. You see that cat, you see the Disposal bin and then the expanse of the blank space in the centre which combines well to get the sombre mood. The title though seems to be trying too hard when the picture is all that's needed to set the mind thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by djork
    it's kinda odd to have a totally blank black space there.. is there a copy of original?
    The blank space is there because it was abt 12am at night when I shot this on my A95, background was black, shot at 0.6sec, F2.8. So the background has virtually no details.

Quote Originally Posted by eel
    I like the shot as it is. You see that cat, you see the Disposal bin and then the expanse of the blank space in the centre which combines well to get the sombre mood. The title though seems to be trying too hard when the picture is all that's needed to set the mind thinking.
    Thanks eel for your compliment (i think)

This photo was taken in response to the injustice I see to cats done in by humans who do not treasure their pets for life. I was hoping to put forward my message across! Sorry if it seems I was trying too hard.

I think the picture works very well. The cat seems to be thinking "will I end up in there" while looking at the bin. I can see SPCA using this for one of their ads.

If you really want nitpicks.. well, the pillar by the cat is a little distracting. Maybe can try to darken it or even remove it totally?

I agree with what hsa been said so far but i feel that the cat seems a little too 'far away' from the viewer have much of an impact. However it still does manage to communicate what you intended .
    Furry Photos - Photography for the Modern Pet

Quote Originally Posted by germ_boi
    Thanks eel for your compliment (i think)

This photo was taken in response to the injustice I see to cats done in by humans who do not treasure their pets for life. I was hoping to put forward my message across! Sorry if it seems I was trying too hard.
    No need to apologise. Just my opinion that the title is not necessary and maybe even distracting. I say this because I see nothing in the picture that tells me its is owned by someone. In that sense, it does not explain how it is neglected. Perhaps if there was someone walking away from the cat then the title will be more appropriate. Like Hobbesyeo suggests, something along the lines of "Is this how I will end up?" could work better.

Nice, I like it.

One nitpick is to straighten the pillars.
    The Art of Flying - Aviation Art Prints for sale
    http://TheArtofFlying.wordpress.com/

Thanks guys.

The shot is taken with the camera on the floor with 1sec exposure, hence I am actually unable at this stage now to get perfect alignment of pillars etc. Hoping to get a mini table tripod soon so I can take more night shots with my consumer!