Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What camera for Newbie

Default Re: What camera for Newbie

Look at the panasonic Lumix series.. it'll give you results which beat most of the dSLR sub $700 lenses out there. The colours are good, they're cheap, they come with big zoom, they're relatively small..

See below for samples from the LX1.. it's a really really good camera IMHO.. about $900
    http://forum.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=167246
    Most panasonic camera images aren't really far from this btw..

According to the brands:

DSLRs

Prosumers

Can lah. Just get a very good 18-200 and a 12-24. covers just about all your general shooting needs

eat. drink. shoot

how about the oly 8080? ...

yup, $1000 is barely enuff to get a dSLR macro setup even 2nd hand. If don mind can try looking at canon s2, fz5 (or wait for fz7) both give very good quality pictures and just add some accessories and you can shoot macro. best of all they cost less than $1000

Quote Originally Posted by Tofu_man
    Can lah. Just get a very good 18-200 and a 12-24. covers just about all your general shooting needs
    very good idea, but his budget below 1k... 12-24 alone is already near 1k with out cam and 18-200

Quote Originally Posted by astroman
    Hi Guys,
    Stumble upon this site while searching the net for some camera.... So hopefully someone here can help..

I am looking for a new camera to replace my old Nikon 4500. Mainly looking for a prosumer with good quality images especially for taking Marco still life.... My budget is below $1000... Can anyone recommend me some camera to look at? Thanks....
    For $1000, you can get a H1 and a close up lens and have money left over for a tripod and a bag. If you want the macro ring light too you may need to top up more $$ though. But for extreme macro, I suggest you just stack the tc with the closeup lens and that setup should costs slightly less than $1000.

Just look at the close up shots ppl done for H1 here and another here.

Taken without permission so reduced in size. Visit pages above to see more.

I'm not skillful enough for these macro shots so I had to borrow some to showcase here.
    Last edited by mastermind; 15th April 2006 at 05:10 PM.

The Panasonic Fz series is a good one to start with. Fz5, Fz20 and Fz30 are all very good cameras. I personally used the Fz5 and finds that it produce very good and vibrant pictures.. You can also look at Canon S2 IS or Sony H1.. All these cameras come with very effective image stabilizer as well.

Quote Originally Posted by astroman
    Well i am not prepared to go into DSLR at this moment.. which is why i was asking about Prosumer camera.... So coming back to the question does anyone have any suggestion which Prosumer camera to recommend? Thanks....
    Life is like photography, we develop from the negatives.

thanks to all for the advise... personally i feel the FZ series from Panasonic looks very impressive both in terms of image and feature. The Canon S2, Pro1 and Sony H1 looks good.. maybe i will go and check them... If anyone has any other recommendation do let me know...

i actually have a Z3 myself. like the feel of it. maybe you can go read more stuff and see for yourself also. i do visit sites like www.dpreview.com when looking at cameras.

got my stuff a D70S! love it!
    D70s-er Since 2005

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12