Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Needs help on smudges on filter

  1. #1

    Default Needs help on smudges on filter

    My UV filter seems to have some slight smudges which I can't remove by wiping with lens fibre cloth. The filter came with a 2nd hand lens I bought. I have never drop the filter before and l always blow and wipe the filter after use. Why will there be unremovable smudges? Is there anyway I can remove the smudges on the filter? I am thinking of using lens cleaning solution on my fibre cloth to try to see whether i can wipe away the smudges. For cleaning of lens or filters, issit advisable to just use the fibre cloth or use fibre cloth in conjunction with lens cleaning solution?
    Life is like photography, we develop from the negatives.

  2. #2
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: Needs help on smudges on filter

    Use the cloth first... if it doesn't work, then bring out the liquids...
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  3. #3
    Senior Member yyD70S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,454

    Default Re: Needs help on smudges on filter

    You could try the Lens Pen, though some would testify that it could remove the coatings as well. You have been warned.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Needs help on smudges on filter

    1. Hoya filters are known to be ridiculously difficult to clean. Guess it goes with the price.

    2. ROR is highly regarded cleaner. You could give it a try.

    Wai Leong
    ===

    Quote Originally Posted by aaron80
    My UV filter seems to have some slight smudges which I can't remove by wiping with lens fibre cloth. The filter came with a 2nd hand lens I bought. I have never drop the filter before and l always blow and wipe the filter after use. Why will there be unremovable smudges? Is there anyway I can remove the smudges on the filter? I am thinking of using lens cleaning solution on my fibre cloth to try to see whether i can wipe away the smudges. For cleaning of lens or filters, issit advisable to just use the fibre cloth or use fibre cloth in conjunction with lens cleaning solution?

  5. #5

    Default Re: Needs help on smudges on filter

    I see. Will using the lens cloth with the solution remove the UV coating?

    Quote Originally Posted by yyD70S
    You could try the Lens Pen, though some would testify that it could remove the coatings as well. You have been warned.
    Life is like photography, we develop from the negatives.

  6. #6
    Senior Member yyD70S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,454

    Default Re: Needs help on smudges on filter

    Sorry but I have not heard of that though. The Lens Pen "should" be OK but don't try it direct on the lens of course (just the filter).


    Quote Originally Posted by aaron80
    I see. Will using the lens cloth with the solution remove the UV coating?

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The 3rd Rock
    Posts
    1,269

    Default Re: Needs help on smudges on filter

    Quote Originally Posted by aaron80
    My UV filter seems to have some slight smudges which I can't remove by wiping with lens fibre cloth. The filter came with a 2nd hand lens I bought. I have never drop the filter before and l always blow and wipe the filter after use. Why will there be unremovable smudges? Is there anyway I can remove the smudges on the filter? I am thinking of using lens cleaning solution on my fibre cloth to try to see whether i can wipe away the smudges. For cleaning of lens or filters, issit advisable to just use the fibre cloth or use fibre cloth in conjunction with lens cleaning solution?

    Could it be scratch marks instead of smudges?

  8. #8

    Default Re: Needs help on smudges on filter

    Ok thanks, think I will go back and try with lens cloth again, if still cant work, maybe will use abit of solution. Feel v uncomfortable to see the smudges there man..

    Quote Originally Posted by yyD70S
    Sorry but I have not heard of that though. The Lens Pen "should" be OK but don't try it direct on the lens of course (just the filter).
    Life is like photography, we develop from the negatives.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Needs help on smudges on filter

    Ya thats what I thought at first too, but I look very carefully and closely and they really dun look like scratches. The smudges look abit foggy that type.

    Quote Originally Posted by jeffhiew
    Could it be scratch marks instead of smudges?
    Life is like photography, we develop from the negatives.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Tanjong Katong
    Posts
    3,710

    Default Re: Needs help on smudges on filter

    If it is Hoya filter, don't bother to clean it with solution. It won't work.

    Buy B+W MRC. Easier to clean.

    Regards,
    Arto.

  11. #11
    Senior Member +evenstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Singapore / United Kingdom
    Posts
    5,655

    Default Re: Needs help on smudges on filter

    dun need B+W unless it's a high end lens.

    low end lens, don't even need filter
    eat. drink. shoot

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Gim Boon Tai
    Posts
    2,909

    Default Re: Needs help on smudges on filter

    Not the other way round meh
    High end lenses have better coating, are more flare and scratch resistant.
    If you understand my works, it's photography. If you don't, it's art.
    SplutterPhotography|flickr

  13. #13
    Senior Member +evenstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Singapore / United Kingdom
    Posts
    5,655

    Default Re: Needs help on smudges on filter

    no lar...low end lenses already compromise on quality, add on a cheap filter, and image quality is further degraded
    eat. drink. shoot

  14. #14

    Default Re: Needs help on smudges on filter

    for sake, it's just a filter.
    might as well get a new one. e smudge prolly had been on it when ya got e lens.
    be frank, how great a difference do ya seen on ya picture.

    don't get bothered by silly things like e filter.

  15. #15
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: Needs help on smudges on filter

    Quote Originally Posted by Splutter
    Not the other way round meh
    High end lenses have better coating, are more flare and scratch resistant.
    Yeah... it's expensive, so you would want a good piece of protection in front of it which will not impede the light coming thru....
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  16. #16
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Planet Nikon
    Posts
    21,905

    Default Re: Needs help on smudges on filter

    Quote Originally Posted by tucker
    for sake, it's just a filter.
    might as well get a new one. e smudge prolly had been on it when ya got e lens.
    be frank, how great a difference do ya seen on ya picture.

    don't get bothered by silly things like e filter.
    Yahooooooooooooo, best reply whole thread.

    Some people just forget the basic use of filters.

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Eastern Part
    Posts
    306

    Default Re: Needs help on smudges on filter

    Quote Originally Posted by yyD70S
    Sorry but I have not heard of that though. The Lens Pen "should" be OK but don't try it direct on the lens of course (just the filter).
    I have used the lens pen for years on both filters as well as lenses and have not had any problem of the coating coming off. Also, with the pen cap firmly in place, there is less chance of the cleaning tip being contaminated by dirt than a piece of lens cleaning cloth.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •