Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Hoya Filters

  1. #1

    Default Hoya Filters

    Fellow forumers,

    Can advise wats the diff between normal Hoya UV filter and HMC filter?

    Do one need HMC filter which is more costly?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Hoya Filters

    Quote Originally Posted by txv611
    Fellow forumers,

    Can advise wats the diff between normal Hoya UV filter and HMC filter?

    Do one need HMC filter which is more costly?

    Thanks
    The normal UV one is just a plain piece of glass and the coated one has an extra layer of coating of reduce flares.

    The HMC ones (High Multi-Coated) are of cos more expensive as they employ more layers of coatings to improve image quality and further reduce flares.

    Of cos better if have the HMC one but some like myself have just a normal coated one is enough. It depends on the individual.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Hoya Filters

    Thanks Snoweagle, you are always one helpful enthusiast in this forum.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Hoya Filters

    Buy the best filter you can afford. HMC or even S-HMC.

    Why? Because once screwed on, it forms part of your optical system, and any system is only as good as its weakest link.



    Quote Originally Posted by txv611
    Fellow forumers,

    Can advise wats the diff between normal Hoya UV filter and HMC filter?

    Do one need HMC filter which is more costly?

    Thanks

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Hoya Filters

    Quote Originally Posted by hifisiao
    Thanks Snoweagle, you are always one helpful enthusiast in this forum.
    Thanks for your kind compliments!
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Beeshan
    Posts
    1,830

    Default Re: Hoya Filters

    Quote Originally Posted by txv611
    Fellow forumers,

    Can advise wats the diff between normal Hoya UV filter and HMC filter?

    Do one need HMC filter which is more costly?

    Thanks
    to really understand and see the difference. go to CP, ask any of the sales staff to show u the diff between a multi coated filter(b+w mrc or hoya hmc,shmc) and a normal uv. the difference is immediately noticeable on the spot.

    in short, basically when u look thru a multi coated(those really good ones) u r like looking thru air. super clear(of cos subject to the state of the filter,i am comparing brand new ones taken from box with no fingerprints etc). when u look thru the cheap uv filters, u see some "reflection" and these i was told may cause flares.

    also, digital cameras are designed for the light(RGB) to reach ur sensor at the same spot. the quality of ur filter will determine if any of the individual streams of light get refracted. if they are refracted, they may not hit the same spot, hence image suffers.

    thats the little that i know, may or may not be correct

  7. #7

    Default Re: Hoya Filters

    Found this link to download Hoya catalog. Has all the information about the diff kind of filters they make in the pdf file. Click on the pdf link to download the catalog (Hoya PDF 1.7 MB)

    http://www.2filters.com/hoya/camera_...formation.html

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Tanjong Katong
    Posts
    3,710

    Default Re: Hoya Filters

    B+W filter easier to clean than Hoya .

    Regards,
    Arto.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Hoya Filters

    Quote Originally Posted by Artosoft
    B+W filter easier to clean than Hoya .

    Regards,
    Arto.
    But they cost a lot more too.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Siglap
    Posts
    1,652

    Default Re: Hoya Filters

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle
    But they cost a lot more too.
    But there's always a catch -> Quality

    With B+W you can be assured that the piece of glass infront of your lens does not interfere with the photos you take. Just take a look around how many experienced photographers use B+W ...

  11. #11

    Default Re: Hoya Filters

    Quote Originally Posted by Artosoft
    B+W filter easier to clean than Hoya .

    Regards,
    Arto.

    How so? Curious to know...

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Hoya Filters

    Quote Originally Posted by dEthANGeL
    But there's always a catch -> Quality

    With B+W you can be assured that the piece of glass infront of your lens does not interfere with the photos you take. Just take a look around how many experienced photographers use B+W ...
    Yupz, i've tried it with a 17-40L, very gd! It's the UV Haze MRC one.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Hoya Filters

    Quote Originally Posted by harmony
    How so? Curious to know...
    I owned 2 types of filters before. If you have cleaned the B+W, it is much smoother to clean when using the lens tissue. The HMC tends to add a bit more friction. You have to test it out then you know the difference.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Western Singapore
    Posts
    432

    Default Re: Hoya Filters

    take the HMC or SHMC, personally I encounter flares when shooting with normal ones.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Hoya Filters

    Having about half my lenses on B+W MRC filters and the other half on Hoya HMCs, I can safely say that, given the chance, I would have bought B+W filters from the start. They are so much easier to maintain due to the coating they use (which according to the website repells stuff, sorta like rainX that is used on car windshields).

    My B+W filters can usually be cleaned with just a blower while the same sorta dirt on the Hoyas would required a lens cloth. Stuff like fingerprints on the B+Ws can simply be wiped off with a lens cloth while on the Hoya, it would require some cleaning solution (Eclipse) and lens tissues (pec pads) to rub off.. and the problem with Hoyas is that they will streak when u use cleaning solutions so it's quite a bit of work to get the filter spotless.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    810

    Default Re: Hoya Filters

    Quote Originally Posted by Denosha
    Having about half my lenses on B+W MRC filters and the other half on Hoya HMCs, I can safely say that, given the chance, I would have bought B+W filters from the start. They are so much easier to maintain due to the coating they use (which according to the website repells stuff, sorta like rainX that is used on car windshields).

    My B+W filters can usually be cleaned with just a blower while the same sorta dirt on the Hoyas would required a lens cloth. Stuff like fingerprints on the B+Ws can simply be wiped off with a lens cloth while on the Hoya, it would require some cleaning solution (Eclipse) and lens tissues (pec pads) to rub off.. and the problem with Hoyas is that they will streak when u use cleaning solutions so it's quite a bit of work to get the filter spotless.

    I agree 100% I'm changing mine all to B+W.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Hoya Filters

    Quote Originally Posted by waileong
    Buy the best filter you can afford. HMC or even S-HMC.

    Why? Because once screwed on, it forms part of your optical system, and any system is only as good as its weakest link.
    Pardon my ignorance,
    If I think my lens is a weak link then I don't really need to always buy the best filter even when I can afford. Right!

  18. #18
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: Hoya Filters

    Quote Originally Posted by photoboy
    Pardon my ignorance,
    If I think my lens is a weak link then I don't really need to always buy the best filter even when I can afford. Right!
    If you think the lens is lousy, then dun bother with a filter...
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  19. #19

    Default Re: Hoya Filters

    Quote Originally Posted by zac08
    Quote Originally Posted by photoboy
    Pardon my ignorance,
    If I think my lens is a weak link then I don't really need to always buy the best filter even when I can afford. Right!
    If you think the lens is lousy, then dun bother with a filter...
    If you have lousy lens, invest in good filter...bad plus bad equals worse...then save money for good lens...provided they use same filter size...

  20. #20
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: Hoya Filters

    Quote Originally Posted by theRBK
    If you have lousy lens, invest in good filter...bad plus bad equals worse...then save money for good lens...provided they use same filter size...
    Eh... The purpose of a filter is to protect the lens elements and not cause too much light interference when taking the shot. my personal belief is not to use any filter at all as the filter size of the lower end ones are normally much smaller than those of the better ones (they would be bigger as they need a bigger size to allow more light in)

    Thus my comment on not using any.


    Cheers,
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •