Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What does smart casual for interview means?

Default What does smart casual for interview means?

Hi guys,

need some advice pls.
    was wondering if the dress code for an interview is specified as smart casual for guys and no suits and ties are necessary. For females its long pants and comfortable shoes. The interview will also require some practical exercises.

I suppose for guys that means at least a shirt and pants or a polo T and pants? Cant be as casual smart as Polo T and jeans right?

Default Re: What does smart casual for interview means?

to play safe, just wear long sleeve and pants without tie.

Deregistered

Smart casual is long sleeve, pants without tie.

However a tie won't kill during interviews.

Cos they will want us to play some games etc.....wonder if with those hard leather shoes will be a problem anot....but anyway I was thinking if wear long sleeve and pants with those leather shoes are a problem during the exercies also never midn right....mroe important is not to look sloppy?

Quote Originally Posted by boroangel
    Hi guys,

need some advice pls.
    was wondering if the dress code for an interview is specified as smart casual for guys and no suits and ties are necessary. For females its long pants and comfortable shoes. The interview will also require some practical exercises.

I suppose for guys that means at least a shirt and pants or a polo T and pants? Cant be as casual smart as Polo T and jeans right?
    what job did you apply for, it might give you some clue as to what to wear

An engineering job?

Cos my leather shoe are those hard ones....so I m worried its gonna affect my performance when we play those games to test teamwork etc...

Cos my leather shoe are those hard ones....so I m worried its gonna affect my performance when we play those games to test teamwork etc...

Wow, what company is this? already playing team building games during interview. do not know exactly the nature of the job, but if it's electronics, then the practical could be just soldering test .....which field are you referring to , if it's engineering as in metal work, then bring a tee-shirt for a change of clothing. but for your grand entrance, as what people have said here, shirt and pants will do

Comfortable leather shoes. Make sure its black. Not necessarily hard ones.

The rest are all pretty standard if u dun wanna screw things up. Shirt, pants, tie.
    And it depends on the prospective company u're interviewing for. Some frown on jeans-shirt attire.
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

Ok thanks for the advice....no choice have to wear my hard black leatehr shoes cos its the ionly one I have.....dotn have those soft ones.............got a silly question to ask.....if during the team building games I find that my hard leather shoes is hampering my performance.....er.....will be very cokk if I remove it right? Or is it ok to do so......

Paiseh ask so many questions...this is a company I die die must get into...
    Last edited by boroangel; 11th April 2006 at 03:18 PM.

Hmm.... well I personally feel its ok to take it off but den again, up against crushing heels and soles, ur feet will be blue-black and not to mention if u've got naturally stinky feet, everyone will be subjected to Chemical Gas attack MOP 4 attire otherwise they will die.

A suggestion, why not wear ur black leather shoes AND bring a pair of track shoes as well?

Hi guys,

need some advice pls.

Polo Tee + Jeans is too causal for an interview. Shirt and pants is a safer bet. Put on tie makes one looks more professional.

Got another wardrobe suggestion.

How abt black jeans (those kinda jeans without the jeans cutting look kinda like pants type), white long-sleeved shirt (and rolled up during the game) and if possible black track shoes or soft leather shoes?

Fashionable, literally "top smart, bottom casual" (fulfilling smart-casual) and u wun have to look exceptionally silly if other ppl go in such an attire.

Blog Entries

the employers could be testing you,

can you follow simple instructions?
    are you kiasu?

best bet is to bring along some extra clothes to change.
    Hard leather shoes for games? Golf?

Deregistered

Personal grooming is something important, make sure you do as told, if necessary, a wardrobe recalibration is good.

An engineering job?

what kind of engineering job is that? So cute one.... still have to play teamwork games in the interview...

Quote Originally Posted by ortega
    the employers could be testing you,

can you follow simple instructions?
    are you kiasu?

best bet is to bring along some extra clothes to change.
    Hard leather shoes for games? Golf?
    Think I will just bring along a polo T.......and maybe a brown pair of soft leather shoes if in case really need it...dont feel liek going to buy a new pair of soft leather shoes just for tmr...althjoughthe brown leatehr shoes look funny with shirt anf black pants but i think just put it on for the games should be ok right?
    Last edited by boroangel; 11th April 2006 at 05:50 PM.

smart casual to me is short sleeved shirt/polo-t and some comfortable pants or proper jeans.

http://www.answerbag.com/q_view.php/41141

dun actually need leather shoes.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

jeans is a nono.. leather shoes isn't a must but track shoes and trainers are also a no go.. plain polo tee should be fine tho..

Smart casual by definition just means casual clothes that look smart.

Therefore, anything that looks smart can be worn.

Like jeans, for instance. Polo shirts too. Or turtlenecks. Or sweaters. Or sports jackets.

What cannot be worn? Anything that is not smart.

Like torn jeans. Bermudas (don't want to show your hairy legs). Singlets (armpits). Mesh shirts (hairy chest). T-shirts in general. Also Bandannas, nose rings, leather boots, basketball shoes. Etc.

Basically, the idea is that you want to look prim and proper without wearing a tie or suit. So anything that identifies you as a hip-hop street culture kind of guy is out, while anything that makes you look like a goody two shoes is in.

Hope that explains.

Wai Leong
    ===

Hi guys,

need some advice pls.

Last edited by waileong; 11th April 2006 at 08:29 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast