Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Increasing the height of your tripod

Default Re: Increasing the height of your tripod

Quote Originally Posted by Terence
    I did think of suggesting that but if it's the same fence I'm thinking of, it's too small even for a compact.
    Oh.. I've not seen that fence.. Hmmm.. Then can try the monopod method. If don't have cable release nevermind.. just set on self timer. I've done that before too. In fact digital compacts with swivel screens are the best because it allows you to frame your shot.
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 12th April 2006 at 05:38 PM.

No matter how innocent your intentions are, a guy with a big tripod and ladder sticking himself and his setup up against a tall fence at night is going to look mighty suspicious to everyone else.

If you're talking about the canoe shed in the East Coast PA, the narrow fence is going to show even if you stick your lens up close.

If you still want to go ahead... my solution is to get yourself the longest monopod you can find. Pre-focus on the scene with all the settings done manually. Put the camera on the timer or remote cord, stick the monopod over the top of the fence and fire away. Make sure you angle the ball head to desired angle before lifting it up. A tall monopod comes up to about 1.3-1.5m, and I'm guessing you're about 1.6-1.8m tall youself... do the math.

Good luck, don't want to read about your stunt in the newspaper.
    That's a pretty good suggestion I must admit but the thing is it needs to be a timed exposure. I can bump up the ISO and use the brightest, widest lens I have, which is a 20/1.8, but it's not going to look exactly the way I want. It might work better I guess if it was done for a shot in good light. I'll definitely be careful. Just to ask though, it's not illegal if I do really bring all that paraphernalia to shoot over the fence right? It's not the east coast park fence, but the fence will most certainly show, without a doubt.
    My Personal Folio (of random events and things)

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon
    Why not try using a digital compact where the lens is smaller and can fit in the holes on the fences?
    I've thought of that already, but I need, after testing, a 19-21mm FOV. None of the digital compacts currently available provides that does it? But yes, the lens can fit through the holes in the fence. If anyone has a digital compact that can go that wide and is willing to rent it out, I'm more than game to try. As it is, I have to use film to achieve that wide FOV because I don't have a FF body.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoned
    That's a pretty good suggestion I must admit but the thing is it needs to be a timed exposure. I can bump up the ISO and use the brightest, widest lens I have, which is a 20/1.8, but it's not going to look exactly the way I want. It might work better I guess if it was done for a shot in good light. I'll definitely be careful. Just to ask though, it's not illegal if I do really bring all that paraphernalia to shoot over the fence right? It's not the east coast park fence, but the fence will most certainly show, without a doubt.
    I like your can do spirit...

I dunno the legality on this, but please check anyway to make sure.

../azul123

Quote Originally Posted by azul123
    I like your can do spirit...

I dunno the legality on this, but please check anyway to make sure.

../azul123
    Hmm can anyone provide advice on this? Any lawyers around?

Why don't you apply the "It's legal until you get caught" rule. Sometimes one has to bend the rules a bit to get the photos

Why don't you apply the "It's legal until you get caught" rule. Sometimes one has to bend the rules a bit to get the photos
    "how far would you go for photography" huh? I'm still pondering the risk. If I do go ahead and get the photo or I find some alternative way to do it I'll most certainly post it up here. Thanks for all your advice and help.

Well essentially im trying to shoot over the fence of this canoe storage shed because of the way the light falls on the canoes at night. The place is fenced up obviously to keep people from stealing the canoes. The fence is a chicken wire fence and my wide angle lens can't quite get through the holes. I'm still trying to figure out how to shoot this canoe storage area at the exact angle that I want to shoot it at. It isn't illegal until you climb in.
    Hi Stoned,

I have not read further than this yet, but my first thought would be. "Find out who is in controll of the place and explain what you want to do".

If put across in a humble manner, they might be happy to help.

Cheers
    Time, is an effortless construction :)

"how far would you go for photography" huh? I'm still pondering the risk. If I do go ahead and get the photo or I find some alternative way to do it I'll most certainly post it up here. Thanks for all your advice and help.
    Hi Stoned,

Ok I have read to the end.

There is always a brainless idea that was posted recently......

Strap your camera to a model helicopter .

As long as the CF card stays in tact when it hits the ground you might have a few good photo's.

Quite a good extension to the camera toss idea I read some time back.

I sincerely DO hope you acheive what you have in mind to do.

I look forward to your resulting post.

Cheers
    Time, is an effortless construction :)

Quote Originally Posted by Pablo

As long as the CF card stays in tact when it hits the ground you might have a few good photo's.
    Yes, this method causes less camera shake and is more discreet than my monopod idea

Hi Stoned,

I have not read further than this yet, but my first thought would be. "Find out who is in controll of the place and explain what you want to do".

If put across in a humble manner, they might be happy to help.

Cheers
    This i might try.

Quite a good extension to the camera toss idea I read some time back.
    This, erm, not really.

I sincerely DO hope you acheive what you have in mind to do.

I look forward to your resulting post.
    I really hope the resulting image isn't just normal! It'll be quite hilarious. I can only get it done in June though due to exams at the moment, but the idea has been brewing in the back of my head since I saw the place last week.

Yes, this method causes less camera shake and is more discreet than my monopod idea
    First you need to know how to fly the heli. It's not easy.

I've thought of that already, but I need, after testing, a 19-21mm FOV. None of the digital compacts currently available provides that does it? But yes, the lens can fit through the holes in the fence. If anyone has a digital compact that can go that wide and is willing to rent it out, I'm more than game to try. As it is, I have to use film to achieve that wide FOV because I don't have a FF body.
    Wow.. if you need that kind of FOV, after attaching the wide angle attachment, I think it will not be able to fit the holes on the fence anymore..

Hmm... how about pressing the whole monopod against the fence for support? I still think Pablo's suggestion of asking the owner is a better option. Offer to give him a copy of the photo after you get it printed.

if the area you're standing on is public area, i see no reason why you can be stopped...some of the Kopitiam threads that complain about irritating security guards may give you some insight on your shooting rights
    eat. drink. shoot

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12