Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Terms of Engagement

Default Re: Terms of Engagement

I suggest you prepare a proforma invoice prior to shoot. Immediately after the shoot ends, hand over the proforma invoice to the client. You should state your terms clearly in this proforma invoice. (Perhaps its a good idea to collect 50% of the payment at this point )

Assuming no changes in your professional charges, issue them the final invoice on the day you want to deliver the CDR. To avoid dissapointment, maybe you want to call to confirm with the client that the cheque is ready for your collection before you actually go to their office etc.

The above may sound a very 'from the textbook' kind of solution. I don't do photography on a professional level so I don't know how your pros deal with clients.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by zha
    I suggest you prepare a proforma invoice prior to shoot. Immediately after the shoot ends, hand over the proforma invoice to the client. You should state your terms clearly in this proforma invoice. (Perhaps its a good idea to collect 50% of the payment at this point )

Assuming no changes in your professional charges, issue them the final invoice on the day you want to deliver the CDR. To avoid dissapointment, maybe you want to call to confirm with the client that the cheque is ready for your collection before you actually go to their office etc.

The above may sound a very 'from the textbook' kind of solution. I don't do photography on a professional level so I don't know how your pros deal with clients.

Good luck!
    Quotation given, stated clearly COD, today, before going, asked if payment is ready, they said yes.

so now thinking how to prevent this in future....sigh..

might go the wedding way, 50% prepayment first...

Burn 2 copies.
    1 with the full res image, 1 with just thumbnails.

Give them the thumbnails 1st, dun tell them it's thumbnails.
    Then upon receiving your $, give them the other CDR. Tell them u burnt 2 copies for them, one with smaller file so wun jam up on slower computer.

True, worring now is useless because nothing can be done at this point. However, I disagree with solarii. I have spent my entire career dealing with credits and collection, this is the olderst trick in the book, the boss is not in to sign the check. The company is cheating, because they went back on the original agreement. They will do so to push back payment for as long as possible. This is very common in Asia, and Singapore is not immune.

If you get paid Friday, consider yourself extremely lucky.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

vince123123
    Guests

I won't even give thumbnails/low-res/ or anything. COD is COD....they should in fact even reimburse you for making a wasted trip there :P

Quote Originally Posted by dragos
    lesson learnt...anyway to do this?? thinking next time, password protect the hires images in a zip file. Watermark the other files...any suggestions?
    Password protect will not be useful unless things like PGP with aes or tkip with long keylengths are used. theres tools available on the net that can crack simple encryption and since this is a company, i'm sure their guys can figure this out...

what a shame to acquire services and not pay for it!

Quote Originally Posted by zha

let's face it, even some so called big time companies do this to commercial photogs...for new clients or those with bad payment records, insist on 50% downpayment...and withold delivery till after other 50% is paid up and in your bank...state all these conditions clearly in the contract...and as last resort, threaten to sell the images off to a third party like stock agencies or to their competitors...

got a call from them, claims that cheque is mailed...due to the holiday on fri, i would expect it in my mailbox latest tuesday...will wait and see. thanks to all that replied.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12