Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 70

Thread: My life is taking quite a toll on me, i want an low budget roadtrip - where to?

  1. #21

    Default Re: My life is taking quite a toll on me, i want an low budget roadtrip - where to?

    wah...upz for trinity...

  2. #22

    Default Re: My life is taking quite a toll on me, i want an low budget roadtrip - where to?

    up for my thread, up for trinity. I'm so touched

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    sing
    Posts
    3,353

    Default Re: My life is taking quite a toll on me, i want an low budget roadtrip - where to?

    there is something about low budget trip
    it is how one lives the experience that counts

    I think this type of trip cannot rush or have big deal work deadlines to worry/pester you during the trip. Will spoil your trip.

    No need to spend $30,000 on trip to Europe and then tell people which places you have been to, as if it is a medal of honour.
    (lots of Singaporeans indulge in that...I mean the bragging)

  4. #24

    Default Re: My life is taking quite a toll on me, i want an low budget roadtrip - where to?

    Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex
    there is something about low budget trip
    it is how one lives the experience that counts

    I think this type of trip cannot rush or have big deal work deadlines to worry/pester you during the trip. Will spoil your trip.

    No need to spend $30,000 on trip to Europe and then tell people which places you have been to, as if it is a medal of honour.
    (lots of Singaporeans indulge in that...I mean the bragging)
    I fully agree with you.
    Some of my best trips are done staying in the cheapest bed in town, a dorm shared with people around the world. Share travel stories with them, exchange contacts. If i have tons of money to spurge on a hotel room, i will have privacy but only me, myself and i to entertain.

    $ can't buy one everything.

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    494

    Default Re: My life is taking quite a toll on me, i want an low budget roadtrip - where to?

    To each its own,

    A stroll in a few bookshops, fishing, and even catching up with old friends is a great way to relax........

    Home is where the heart is............




    Of course, my IQ 92 niah....very easy to satisfy

  6. #26

    Default Re: My life is taking quite a toll on me, i want an low budget roadtrip - where to?

    Quote Originally Posted by behyx
    Oh it'll be so nice of you if you could get me some details of the lake. Thanks in advance.

    the lake is called Tasik Banding, in the state of Perak... abt 20-30km away from the Thai border... hubby & i drove frm terengganu along highway 4 to the lake, then cut across to penang... u need to chk out the map. it's realli a gorgeous place, but very far. & the roads r pretty high up on the mountains...

    another option is to go to kellie's castle in ipoh, inside batu gajah town. tis would be nearer to drive in...

    or the jungle trail (via train) sounded nice, but i haven't tried dat yet... if u taking train & can't tolerate heat & stuffiness, dun take the normal train. the express will be a better ride

  7. #27

    Default Re: My life is taking quite a toll on me, i want an low budget roadtrip - where to?

    Quote Originally Posted by canoni5
    the lake is called Tasik Banding, in the state of Perak... abt 20-30km away from the Thai border... hubby & i drove frm terengganu along highway 4 to the lake, then cut across to penang... u need to chk out the map. it's realli a gorgeous place, but very far. & the roads r pretty high up on the mountains...

    another option is to go to kellie's castle in ipoh, inside batu gajah town. tis would be nearer to drive in...

    or the jungle trail (via train) sounded nice, but i haven't tried dat yet... if u taking train & can't tolerate heat & stuffiness, dun take the normal train. the express will be a better ride
    Wow the roadtrip looks really awesome yea? How high are the roads on the mountains? Are they dangerous to drive? How long your hubby and you took for the driving trip?

  8. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Canberra,Australia
    Posts
    59

    Default Re: My life is taking quite a toll on me, i want an low budget roadtrip - where to?

    Quote Originally Posted by behyx
    Thanks Matt, can you pls explain what makes one senses come alive towards the northern part? Is it the highway 4 stretch?
    Highway 4 is definitely a big part of it. The northern parts are very beautiful in general, and you would have seen the same comments from Michael. You'll see scenery that you wouldn't expect to see, drive on stretches of roads that are just so nice you wouldn't want it to end.

    If I can recall correctly, highway 4 starts from around Butterworth and ends around Terengganu. It winds around and up mountains, small villages, and a couple of lakes. On one of my trips, it was raining and kinda foggy. That was such a magical sight that I stopped in the rain just looking at it.

    On the N/S highway as you near Kedah, you'll see nice fields by the highway, electric power structures striding with you as you journey on, very different to the southern parts of West Malaysia.

    Also, towards the northern side of the East coast as your near Terengganu, you'll find you go through some almost inhabited places. There is a very nice hotel (ala Bali style) near by but I can't remember the name. It's quite secluded but very very nice. You don't have to stay there if you wanted to, coz we didn't. We just had a nice coffee, enjoy the sights, and left

    Driving could be a different experience as you'll have to put up with the tolls, and the bribes. Well, even for bikers we have to bribe them sometimes, but they are usually less "harsh" on bikers when compared to drivers (SG cars) as attested by my mates.

    Have fun, enjoy it more than just busy snapping photos, and get your life back on track

    Cheers!
    Matt

  9. #29

    Default Re: My life is taking quite a toll on me, i want an low budget roadtrip - where to?

    Quote Originally Posted by behyx
    Wow the roadtrip looks really awesome yea? How high are the roads on the mountains? Are they dangerous to drive? How long your hubby and you took for the driving trip?

    we made quite a number of stopovers, so din realli calculate the hrs spent in total.

    but from terrenganu to tasik banding is abt 5-6 hrs (abt 100km/h), then @ tasik banding itself (a very wide expanse of lake) say an hr? then to travel to penang shld be ard 5 hrs...

    i can't remember how high the mountains are... but shld be ard 800 to 1000m???

    slightly dangerous, jus need to be careful. dun drive too fast jus bcos there's not much cars... cos a lot of curvy roads on the mountains... & let's say, something falls from the road into the lake, it's at least 6 storeys high... dun even wanna talk abt falling from the road into the depth of the mountains...
    Last edited by canoni5; 11th April 2006 at 12:47 PM.

  10. #30

    Default Re: My life is taking quite a toll on me, i want an low budget roadtrip - where to?

    Well, like you said, its how one lives the experience that counts, whether its low budget or not.
    Its those who "touch-and-go" that I feel have short changed themselves...
    Spending just 1 hour in a glorious national park, 1/2 hr in a beautiful quaint old town etc? Just bcoz need to move on to the next "attraction"...
    Even those on super budget trips have danger of too much "on-the-go"; 80% of the time is on a train/bus/coach. Of course, these form part of the travel experience, but there is still a limit. You may have experienced the trip, but not the place.
    So, my point? Have a balanced trip ...

    My 1cents (budget lah) view.

    Oh, as for behyx, the place itself is probably less important than the trip/drive itself since its the drive that has the therapeutic (sp?) effect...

    Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex
    there is something about low budget trip
    it is how one lives the experience that counts

    I think this type of trip cannot rush or have big deal work deadlines to worry/pester you during the trip. Will spoil your trip.

    No need to spend $30,000 on trip to Europe and then tell people which places you have been to, as if it is a medal of honour.
    (lots of Singaporeans indulge in that...I mean the bragging)

  11. #31
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    In my own world
    Posts
    1,314

    Default Re: My life is taking quite a toll on me, i want an low budget roadtrip - where to?

    Though I find it abit silly to "deliberately" find a place/other country just to drive...what's next? You dun have budget to go far, stress by money.

    What you need is a short holiday to getaway from what stressed u most...

    Stay cool dude, everyone is stressed to some extent.

  12. #32

    Default Re: My life is taking quite a toll on me, i want an low budget roadtrip - where to?

    Quote Originally Posted by behyx
    My personal and working life is taking quite a toll on me. I find it hard to sleep at night with a lot of thoughts on my mind... Friends has been telling me i really need a break. Probably an overseas trip will be good on me.

    I like to drive. When i'm really stressed, i drive to make myself feel better. I'm running my own photography business, i'm trying to earn and save as much i can on the way. Therefore I don't want to set a high budget for this trip. S$200 max?

    However, where to drive?? Driving in Singapore is out for me (i'm not a speed maniac, but i need somewhere i can really consider a 'getaway' drive)... I really love the diverse landscape in Bali and driving there will be wonderful. But the air tix is already S$150 thereabout, it'll burst my budget after backpacking lodging and car rental.
    I thought of West Malaysia, as it's just a stone-throw away. But is there any place nice for driving??
    With such a unrealistic budget of $200 max .... no wonder your life is so miserable ....
    For me, I will buy some books and go to SBG or Bukit Timah hill and enjoy nature for a couple of days and remember not to bring any mobile or ipod.... trust me, its refreshing.
    Last edited by Canonised; 11th April 2006 at 04:12 PM.
    always the Light, .... always.

  13. #33

    Default Re: My life is taking quite a toll on me, i want an low budget roadtrip - where to?

    Quote Originally Posted by behyx
    Wah!! Are you serious!!
    If you give me, my budget will rise to S$205 hehe
    In no time ... the budget may increase to S$2,050
    SAVE BEHYX FUND!
    always the Light, .... always.

  14. #34

    Default Re: My life is taking quite a toll on me, i want an low budget roadtrip - where to?

    Quote Originally Posted by Canonised
    In no time ... the budget may increase to S$2,050
    SAVE BEHYX FUND!

    he doesnt have paypal .. makes it hard

  15. #35
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Jurong Island
    Posts
    1,124

    Default Re: My life is taking quite a toll on me, i want an low budget roadtrip - where to?

    Perhaps you can write in to your unit to apply for a high-key overseas attachment with other unit. (if still applicable)

    Free Trip

  16. #36

    Default Re: My life is taking quite a toll on me, i want an low budget roadtrip - where to?

    Hey Matt,

    Many thanks for the advices about the bribes.

    It really looks like the northern part of Malaysia is the place that could blow my mind!

    Quote Originally Posted by st11x
    Highway 4 is definitely a big part of it. The northern parts are very beautiful in general, and you would have seen the same comments from Michael. You'll see scenery that you wouldn't expect to see, drive on stretches of roads that are just so nice you wouldn't want it to end.

    If I can recall correctly, highway 4 starts from around Butterworth and ends around Terengganu. It winds around and up mountains, small villages, and a couple of lakes. On one of my trips, it was raining and kinda foggy. That was such a magical sight that I stopped in the rain just looking at it.

    On the N/S highway as you near Kedah, you'll see nice fields by the highway, electric power structures striding with you as you journey on, very different to the southern parts of West Malaysia.

    Also, towards the northern side of the East coast as your near Terengganu, you'll find you go through some almost inhabited places. There is a very nice hotel (ala Bali style) near by but I can't remember the name. It's quite secluded but very very nice. You don't have to stay there if you wanted to, coz we didn't. We just had a nice coffee, enjoy the sights, and left

    Driving could be a different experience as you'll have to put up with the tolls, and the bribes. Well, even for bikers we have to bribe them sometimes, but they are usually less "harsh" on bikers when compared to drivers (SG cars) as attested by my mates.

    Have fun, enjoy it more than just busy snapping photos, and get your life back on track

    Cheers!
    Matt
    Last edited by behyx; 11th April 2006 at 10:50 PM.

  17. #37

    Default Re: My life is taking quite a toll on me, i want an low budget roadtrip - where to?

    From what i see, it's pretty impressive. I love the 800-1000m mountains. Never drive in such altitude before. So you must be driving above the clouds sometimes ya?
    The timings look pretty good too. Not too lengthy drives..

    Thanks thanks much!

    Quote Originally Posted by canoni5
    we made quite a number of stopovers, so din realli calculate the hrs spent in total.

    but from terrenganu to tasik banding is abt 5-6 hrs (abt 100km/h), then @ tasik banding itself (a very wide expanse of lake) say an hr? then to travel to penang shld be ard 5 hrs...

    i can't remember how high the mountains are... but shld be ard 800 to 1000m???

    slightly dangerous, jus need to be careful. dun drive too fast jus bcos there's not much cars... cos a lot of curvy roads on the mountains... & let's say, something falls from the road into the lake, it's at least 6 storeys high... dun even wanna talk abt falling from the road into the depth of the mountains...

  18. #38

    Default Re: My life is taking quite a toll on me, i want an low budget roadtrip - where to?

    Quote Originally Posted by nuts
    Well, like you said, its how one lives the experience that counts, whether its low budget or not.
    Its those who "touch-and-go" that I feel have short changed themselves...
    Spending just 1 hour in a glorious national park, 1/2 hr in a beautiful quaint old town etc? Just bcoz need to move on to the next "attraction"...
    Even those on super budget trips have danger of too much "on-the-go"; 80% of the time is on a train/bus/coach. Of course, these form part of the travel experience, but there is still a limit. You may have experienced the trip, but not the place.
    So, my point? Have a balanced trip ...

    My 1cents (budget lah) view.

    Oh, as for behyx, the place itself is probably less important than the trip/drive itself since its the drive that has the therapeutic (sp?) effect...
    Nuts, spot on. You understands how i'm feeling.

  19. #39

    Default Re: My life is taking quite a toll on me, i want an low budget roadtrip - where to?

    Quote Originally Posted by Canonised
    With such a unrealistic budget of $200 max .... no wonder your life is so miserable ....
    For me, I will buy some books and go to SBG or Bukit Timah hill and enjoy nature for a couple of days and remember not to bring any mobile or ipod.... trust me, its refreshing.
    Canonised, i'm deeply saddened when i see your first paragraph. Each has his own way of relieving stress, and this is how i want to go about doing it. It's not about how much is the money. Well, to each his own. For me, i personally don't quite like Singapore. Truthfully, the longer i stay here, the more uncomfortable i feel sometimes.

  20. #40

    Default Re: My life is taking quite a toll on me, i want an low budget roadtrip - where to?

    Quote Originally Posted by trlnlty
    he doesnt have paypal .. makes it hard
    If really a lot of people want to contribute to my fund, i don't mind setting up a paypal account now. hmmm....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •