Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ZD 40-150mm lens

Default ZD 40-150mm lens

Hi Gurus,

Wanna check with you guys what a ZD 40-150mm lens will be good for.

Default Re: ZD 40-150mm lens

Outdoor or studio portraiture where you'll have enuf lighting
    Nikon 4 & lots of hollow chunky glass

I used mine mainly for outdoor when you need to be at a distance away from your subject... A medium telephoto i would say....

good for outdoor shooting.

have tried this lens during one of mytikas club outing in JBP. Its range is not as good as 50-200, but, optically, it is quite good, though not as fast as 50-200 (in terms of aperture).

here are some pictures taken with that lens.

Cheers

Hi, nice pics there. looks like the lens is quite useful hor. Actually now donno if I should buy a 11-22mm lens or should I buy a flash first. Any comments?

buy the 50mm prime!!!
    Well, i believe your current setup is quite good already. Do shoot more first before considering the 11-22mm (unless you are very sure that you would require wide angle most of the time).
    My suggestion is go get a flash, it will suppliment your setup (as well as it is future proof too). If you use flash often, go for the FL-50, else the FL-36 is the 1 to go.
    <<To be updated>> / Vivitar S1 70-210 f3.5

Chow, those are nice shots! You put back the honor and demo what can be done with the ZD 40-150mm lens.

And I will also recommend the buying of the flash before going for 11-22mm.

Quote Originally Posted by coolpix7900
    Hi, nice pics there. looks like the lens is quite useful hor. Actually now donno if I should buy a 11-22mm lens or should I buy a flash first. Any comments?

actually i vote for the flash. its something quite neccessary as u take pics. the 40-150 is a very versatile lens. good for a lot of things if u know how & what to exploit.

Quote Originally Posted by nightpiper
    actually i vote for the flash. its something quite neccessary as u take pics. the 40-150 is a very versatile lens. good for a lot of things if u know how & what to exploit.
    if choose between 11-22 and a flash, i'll go for a flash first. agreed with nightpiper. sometimes, without the flash, you will be handicapped.
    while for the ultra-wide angle, you can still try slightly different composition with the 14-45mm you have.

Quote Originally Posted by shchow
    if choose between 11-22 and a flash, i'll go for a flash first. agreed with nightpiper. sometimes, without the flash, you will be handicapped.
    while for the ultra-wide angle, you can still try slightly different composition with the 14-45mm you have.
    Looks like all of you have given me a very clear mandate of getting the flash. I was contemplating what I should be getting first for sometime. Thank you all very much, I will be going down now to get the flash today.

What is your exposure mode and focus setting for photo #2?

Quote Originally Posted by Teo
    What is your exposure mode and focus setting for photo #2?
    hi, teo, i was using Spot Metering, Aperture Priority, S-AF.

Hi guys,

I've got me a FL-36 Flash yesterday, I also got to try out the 11-22mm, and was impressed by it. But I'll be "playing" with my existing 2 lens till I'm really good then I'll consider the other range of lenses. So over here in CS not really about buy buy buy huh... but think before buy... Thanks guys!

I agree with the rest of you. If I were you, I will get the flash first. 11-22mm you can put on hold first.

I personally will get the FL-50 over the FL-36 in terms of good recycle rate. But the FL-36 is good for travelling cos it is both light and compact in size.
    Last edited by Benng; 11th April 2006 at 01:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Benng
    I agree with the rest of you. If I were you, I will get the flash first. 11-22mm you can put on hold first.

I personally will get the FL-50 over the FL-36 in terms of good recycle rate. But the FL-36 is good for travelling cos it is both light and compact in size.
    Hi, actually wanted to get the FL-50, but when I see the real thing, I was like , so big piece... hahaha... i'm not really a heavy user so FL-36 should serve me fine right now. Maybe later when I become more "steady" hor, then I can consider the FL-50. Thanks!

BTW if you are not aware. The recycling rate for FL50 and 36 is the same.
    Visit my Homepage

Quote Originally Posted by selamatlzh
    hi selamatlzh, is that right? i tot someone has claimed that the FL-50 has further reach and faster recycling rate than the FL-36. that's why i was thinking of upgrading to FL-50 from FL-36.

Quote Originally Posted by selamatlzh
    Oh is it? I have personally use both FL-36 and FL-50 before and I felt that the FL-50 recycling rate is faster. That was the main reason why I upgraded from FL-36 to FL-50.

I even tried using the Energiser Lithium battery on the FL-36 but the recycling rate is still slower. Probably because it uses 2 x AA batteries instead of 4 x AA batteries for the FL-50.

I had tried both FL36 and FL50 myself. Set to Manual mode, choose max guide number and zoom then fire off.

Try it yourself, it takes about 10-11 sec for both flash to recycle.

I have just purchased Quantum Battery 1+, it reduces the recycling time of the FL50 to 5s.

Click here for my earlier post on this item.
    Visit my Homepage

Oh is it? I have personally use both FL-36 and FL-50 before and I felt that the FL-50 recycling rate is faster. That was the main reason why I upgraded from FL-36 to FL-50.

I even tried using the Energiser Lithium battery on the FL-36 but the recycling rate is still slower. Probably because it uses 2 x AA batteries instead of 4 x AA batteries for the FL-50.
    FL 50 is more powerful. Maybe it uses less power on your purpose thats why the recycling time is faster.
    Visit my Homepage

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast