Thread: Who had ever been to...

Default Who had ever been to...

A very serious question. And no, I'm not joking abt it.

Anyone had been to Israel before on a solo backpack trip?
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

Default Re: Who had ever been to...

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn

they have nothing against yellow asians as far as i know...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

I'm not so concerned abt racist attacks or terrorist bombings though. More of immigration and how to actually get there and stuff like dat since there ain't any direct flights as far as I know to Israel.

Kinda like my future dream to goto Pyongyang, Iraq or Iran one day....

Sorry jsbn, OT a bit, i took the overland route from Egypt - Jordan - Syria - Turkey - Greece 2 yrs back (I skipped Israel cos not happy with wat they've done to Palestinans). IIRC if you need to travel to Israel, you'll need a VISA and a separate passport to enter Israel. Cos most Muslim countries (even Msia) dont recognise the Israel state except Egypt and a few others. Otherwise, get your Israel immigration stamp on a blank paper to reduce the hassle when entering a Muslim country.

There's no direct flight there, but most Middle Eastern flights do transit in the major Middle East cities, from there you can grab a flight to Tel Aviv or Jerusalem. Travelling in Israel is relatively easier than the rest of Middle East, cos met alot of Americans travelling from Israel during my trip.
    Last edited by Xing; 10th April 2006 at 10:54 AM.

Well, I feel that if a country's often misunderstood (perhaps militarily or on alleged reports of 'human rights violation') the more we shld be encouraged to travel there in an attempt to see and understand (thus my wild fantasies with Pyongyang and Iran).

Hmm... I am thinking of hopping over to Egypt to shoot the pyramids, to Israel and perhaps see if there are any direct flights from any of the Middle Eastern countries which allows me a direct flight back to Singapore (Turkey perhaps?).

My estimated budget's like.... SGD$5K per head? Travelling cheap & light. U suppose that's enuff for like an Egypt-Israel trip thingy?

haha... its just me

your budget is more than enough. I spend ard $4000+ for this two month overland trip 2 yrs back, remember that your airticket is fixed cost, and the rest are variable.

however, try planning for ur trip with Israel as the last destination cos there maybe complications re-entering most Muslim countries after that.

if you are travelling budget, it's not advisable to get those direct flights to & fro Singapore, cos they are usually more costly.

Kinda like my future dream to goto Pyongyang, Iraq or Iran one day....
    Wah lau Iraq...u sure anot bro?

I have a friend who's a senior police officer. Once on biz trip there (for some weapon exhibition or something like that) representing Sg Police force.

Even with all the supporting document and identification document, still got to go thru very detail check and questioning and even 'pasa malam' of his lauguage at the immigration.

I know this is standard practice, but it's so ridiculous. Just because I went to Israel doesn't mean I support Israel.

In any case, do you know of any immigration officers who look through every single page of a passport for a particular country's entry/exit stamp? The lines will be crazy if they did that to every traveller.

Quote Originally Posted by Xing
    Sorry jsbn, OT a bit, i took the overland route from Egypt - Jordan - Syria - Turkey - Greece 2 yrs back (I skipped Israel cos not happy with wat they've done to Palestinans). IIRC if you need to travel to Israel, you'll need a VISA and a separate passport to enter Israel. Cos most Muslim countries (even Msia) dont recognise the Israel state except Egypt and a few others. Otherwise, get your Israel immigration stamp on a blank paper to reduce the hassle when entering a Muslim country.

There's no direct flight there, but most Middle Eastern flights do transit in the major Middle East cities, from there you can grab a flight to Tel Aviv or Jerusalem. Travelling in Israel is relatively easier than the rest of Middle East, cos met alot of Americans travelling from Israel during my trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Garion
    Wah lau Iraq...u sure anot bro?
    Well, if things settle down a little there and international flights resume normally, might consider.

So-called 'terrorist countries' like Iran, Pyongyang would be nice, interesting and strange tourist desinations as well.

Quote Originally Posted by waileong
    I know this is standard practice, but it's so ridiculous. Just because I went to Israel doesn't mean I support Israel.

In any case, do you know of any immigration officers who look through every single page of a passport for a particular country's entry/exit stamp? The lines will be crazy if they did that to every traveller.
    Well, of all the crazy things in the world. I din realise abt it until I saw the National Geographic show last night that apparently in some countries, its illegal to name ur child "Judas".

Its the 15 billion ppl around this planet that makes it such an interesting place.

Quote Originally Posted by waileong
    well you be surprised to know how long it took me to clear thru some Middle Eastern immigrations, I was stucked at the Jordanian/Syrian border for 24 hrs. As Hewolf mentioned abt the Israeli customs, even though we have political and defense tie ups.

Yes, last night's Gospels of Judas was a very interesting documentary there'll be more of such documentaries to come. Think it's leading up to the Da Vinci Code release in May.

Well, I guess no countries there want anymore headaches on top of their ever growing list of headaches. And babysitting problematic tourists is the last thing they would want to be handling.

No wonder they're so backward... So much oil wealth, but still the people are so poor and the countries are so backward.

The other thing is of course, who cares? Everyone who wants to visit Israel circumvents it by not stamping their passports, so what did this policy achieve? Whom did it benefit? Whom did it hurt?

Wai Leong
    ====
    PS In your case, was it because of border closure, or was it because every single page of every travellers' passport had to be checked?

Quote Originally Posted by Xing
    well you be surprised to know how long it took me to clear thru some Middle Eastern immigrations, I was stucked at the Jordanian/Syrian border for 24 hrs. As Hewolf mentioned abt the Israeli customs, even though we have political and defense tie ups.

Yes, last night's Gospels of Judas was a very interesting documentary there'll be more of such documentaries to come. Think it's leading up to the Da Vinci Code release in May.

Well, I believe I'd probably stated my reasons up there and u have ur analytical powers of reasoning to do the rest. Immigration is NEVER about just stamp and go my friend. U might wanna try be an immigration officer for juz 1wk in a country that's prowling with terrorist suspects and ppl out to cause trouble.

Would really suggest that you go down to ICA and ask to make another passport for travels to Israel. This is the standard procedure when we were in the service.

Cheers,
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

I am going this June. Not alone. with family

This is getting a bit OT...

Actually it's the Israeli immigration who have to work very hard, not the Arab countries. Apart from Iraq, I don't see many Arabs bombing their own kind. We do hear about a lot of suicide bombers in Israel, of course.

The refusal to grant entry to people who have been to Israel is a political statement by the Arab countries, not because of security reasons per se.

Just because I've been to Israel means I'm a security threat? Come on!

Frankly, by using another piece of paper, Israel and the rest of the world has made mockery of the whole Arab policy, and it's worse for them now-- they can't effectively ban people who've visited Israel because they don't see it in the passports.

So who loses out?

Anyway, talk only ok? Neither you nor I are in the Middle East, we can't change the policy even if we could vote there, so lets just keep the conversation simple.

Well, I believe I'd probably stated my reasons up there and u have ur analytical powers of reasoning to do the rest. Immigration is NEVER about just stamp and go my friend. U might wanna try be an immigration officer for juz 1wk in a country that's prowling with terrorist suspects and ppl out to cause trouble.

Blog Entries

anyway... to get things back on-track, jsbn - try PMing clown? i believe he went there early last yr or late 2004, and came back with jaw-dropping pics. u can ask him abt the visa procedures.
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

Thnx bro. But now, me still preliminary planning stage of reading up. Planning for a 2008 trip but since its in the Middle East and u and I know the situation there that I might come back with war photographs instead of travel photos instead, I thought I might wanna do some reading up first also to know their culture so that I wun stick out like a sore thumb there.

Thnx for all ur advice guyz, and no hard feelingz waileong As outsiders its hard to know the situation in-depth simply by reading stuff thru the media since it could either be alot more tamer or more volatile then it was reported.