Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1/250 still blur?

Originally posted by imaginary_number

IMHO, USM is almost a must, at least for me. As a matter of fact, by setting the sharpening option in the 602z to normal is already itself a form of USM.

Perhaps you might find this article interesting:
    http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tu...rt_sharp.shtml

"Sharpening is a fact of life for photographers who output digitally. Both digital cameras and film scanners produce digital images which are subtly (or not!) softer than the optical images they are derived from..."
    mm... i always thought that digital cam photos with USM will give ppl kind of "fake" feeling, it's not saying that the pic is not nice, it just look too perfect and doesn't look "real".

btw, thanks for the link. i found it's really interesting n useful.

Originally posted by imaginary_number

Hi CK,

Is there any way to avoid/resolve/work around this problem?
    Focus on something more contrasty around/near the subject? Or take a few shots. With some luck, you might have some with the subject in focus.

Regards
    CK

I think what chenwei meant is simple to get the basics right in photography regarding focus, exposure etc etc. No doubt digital processing is part of the workflow and cannot be helped, but if the quality of the original shot is overexposed, out of focus etc etc, not optimally taken, digitally enhancements will only degrade the quality of the images. Besides, there's only so much sharpening u can do and so much levels-adjustment one can do to a lousy taken picture.

imaginary_number, thanks for the demo, but as u can see, u brought out the colours of the plants, but u actually lost details on the flamingoes. the face, beak and the body has lost detail all due to levels adjustment.

oh yah, which brings out another point... my shot seems kinda dull. Do u guys get this kind of shots usually before post-processing and posting? can't be right?

Originally posted by chenwei
    [B]
    mm... i always thought that digital cam photos with USM will give ppl kind of "fake" feeling, it's not saying that the pic is not nice, it just look too perfect and doesn't look "real".
    [B]
    I get what you mean; As a matter of fact, I feel the same way too. That's why as far as possible, I try to moderate my use of USM.

btw, thanks for the link. i found it's really interesting n useful.
    You're welcome. Glad you found it useful and beneficial.

Originally posted by ckiang

Focus on something more contrasty around/near the subject? Or take a few shots. With some luck, you might have some with the subject in focus.

Regards
    CK
    Ok, thanks; will try it out next time

Originally posted by shawntim
    I think what chenwei meant is simple to get the basics right in photography regarding focus, exposure etc etc. No doubt digital processing is part of the workflow and cannot be helped, but if the quality of the original shot is overexposed, out of focus etc etc, not optimally taken, digitally enhancements will only degrade the quality of the images. Besides, there's only so much sharpening u can do and so much levels-adjustment one can do to a lousy taken picture.
    Agreed.

imaginary_number, thanks for the demo, but as u can see, u brought out the colours of the plants, but u actually lost details on the flamingoes. the face, beak and the body has lost detail all due to levels adjustment.
    Actually, I believe that the flamingoes were slightly OOF so there weren't much details to begin with. As to why the details were lost, it wasn't really b'cos of levels adjustment but because I was over-ambitious when it came to the contrast adjustment. If I remember correctly, this is called burnout(?).

In any case, the enhancements were done rather casually as well as hastily, which explains the loss of some details.

oh yah, which brings out another point... my shot seems kinda dull. Do u guys get this kind of shots usually before post-processing and posting? can't be right?
    For me, sometimes. 'Coz I usually turn off the in-camera processing altogether. Prefer to do it myself in PS.

Btw, I noticed a slight orange cast in ur pic; were you using custom white balance?

Midnight
    Guests

Originally posted by chenwei
    The thing is that all current digicams employ what is known as Bayer interpolation to get a "full color" image from their raw sensor data, and this algorithm itself has the side effect of softening the image. Thus sharpening the image is not merely a crutch for "fixing" a poorly taken image; it's an essential step due to the nature of the technology. Every digital photo ought to be sharpened in post-processing, whether through the camera's built-in sharpening or manual application of unsharp mask.

On the other hand, as more and more cameras adopt the new Foveon X3 sensor, this should no longer be necessary, at least in theory.

what about inbuilt sharpening? do they accurate represent the optical quality of what I see?

I'm using soft for 602 as reviews say that normal is almost always too sharp for them.

Which are u guys using? soft, normal or hard?

I just use normal now-a-days to save on post sharpening. Anyway, improve your technique (when pressing the shutter, pre-focus before taking, etc) of taking shots and you could see better pics!
    Check out my wildlife pics at www.instagram.com/conrad_nature

Actually, I prefer my images to be sharper and more crisp. Normally, I'll use "soft" and sharpen it myself in PS.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12