Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 25678 LastLast

Thread: Wedding Photographer Get Together

Default Re: Wedding Photographer Get Together

It's a real pity that I missed this meeting today cos of another meeting. Hope there can be other meetups like this one and I will try my best to be there.

I like to share certain points for freelance photographers to help them sell better and move up the price ladder.

most of the time the problems are about trust. How to trust a freelance photographer, why is the freelance photographer charging so cheaply compared to the pros.

have a professional website to show clients before they meet you. I know some do not have and want to meetup with the clients to showcase your work. You need to convience your client to wanna meet up with you. on a pharse site, turns some couples off

have a namecard, help with your image

prepare an invoice for your client when they pay for a deposit

and collect a deposit/retainer fee in advance

work on your visual style as i mention in the meeting. Show a common style across the couples whom you shoot for when you present your photography.
    Last edited by Belle&Sebastain; 20th April 2006 at 12:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Belle&Sebastain
    I like to share certain points for freelance photographers to help them sell better and move up the price ladder.

most of the time the problems are about trust. How to trust a freelance photographer, why is the freelance photographer charging so cheaply compared to the pros.

have a professional website to show clients before they meet you. I know some do not have and want to meetup with the clients to showcase your work. You need to convience your client to wanna meet up with you. on a pharse site, turns some couples off

work on your visual style as i mention in the meeting. Show a common style across the couples whom you shoot for when you present your photography.
    Thanks!

Well, for a start how about agreeing on the word "freelance" ?
    As long as you don't shoot for a boss and you can take up any assignment,
    you're in a way a freelance photographer. Do not confuse this with "part time".

cheers
    Last edited by rueyloon; 20th April 2006 at 01:08 AM.
    36frames Wedding Photography - http://www.36frames.com
    rueyloon - http://www.rueyloon.com

Great advice! Appreciate it very much ... thanks!

agree.....

Great meetup and many thanks to Ckuang for organising everything

Great meeting everyone today. It was great FUN!!

was there any minutes taken? if not, erm, maybe those who attended can highlight your points?

couldnt attend cos i was at a course

It's been a really productive session and I'm glad some good ideas have come out of it..
    But ideas are only good if they are put into practice..

It is my sincere wish that we can consolidate our efforts as an industry and help each other out... it will eventually benefit everyone.. us and the clients..

I admire the indonesian photographers having a lot of professionals in the community helping each other, despite being a big country, there is a lot of community effort organising things together. Tonight was a great first step, thanks to ckuang's initiative.. I personally hope to see more of it happening.
    Last edited by willyfoo; 20th April 2006 at 03:36 AM.

there's definitely more of this meetings coming up...

I think it would be more of a monthly thing where we can also track work/ improvement and follow-up progress built upon the last meeting

Thanks for attending everyone.. I will discuss with Kuang on when the next meeting will be held but for sure, it will be @ Albert's studio

yes having a support group to initiate new wedding photographers into the trade is great not only can we pool in various resources, united we will have a collective voice that will be heard across the industry.

OT- To the issue of freelancers undercutting pro-rates, as a freelancer I wouldn't mind earning a few hundreds more if there is a general price guide that most of us can adhere to

Also I hope that all the pointers raised here can be brought forth into the curriculum for future references

I suggest that freelancers should group yourself together of about 3 to 5 person.
    Then can solve equipment, backup camera and backup photographer problems. Then, from there can exchange pointers etc.
    Eat breath LIVERPOOL!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Xing
    yes having a support group to initiate new wedding photographers into the trade is great not only can we pool in various resources, united we will have a collective voice that will be heard across the industry.

OT- To the issue of freelancers undercutting pro-rates, as a freelancer I wouldn't mind earning a few hundreds more if there is a general price guide that most of us can adhere to

Also I hope that all the pointers raised here can be brought forth into the curriculum for future references
    I think we can start a new thread for discuss this matter, thou this thing has been brought up many times, but it will be good for someone have not touch on this before.

With a background of yesterday meeting up, I'm seriously hoping the discussion will be in depth and with a constructive manner.

Quote Originally Posted by smurfman
    I suggest that freelancers should group yourself together of about 3 to 5 person.
    Then can solve equipment, backup camera and backup photographer problems. Then, from there can exchange pointers etc.
    smurfman ideas is suggest some of you guys form a allied for sharing resources and support each others, this method has been proven.

Cool meet-up. Nice to meet you guys there... Though I did not know most of you guys. At least I clearly understand now how you guys do your stuff. Its totally different from what I did for my Malay community market.

Anyone here care to allow me to tag along you guys on your next shoot? Hehee.... Hopefully with that I could understand further and apply those concept to what Ive practice and vice versa will do likewise to you guys if I have a Malay wedding to shoot. But be reminded that its a two day occassion for most Malay wedding. And the pricing is still... Hmmm... not as aggressive as what you guys lah. Hoping to charge my future clients the way some of you guys charging. My market range is around $850 - $1500. That's the perception of what my community have in their mind when they source out for photog.

Sorry if I did not speak up during the meet-up. Still kind of daze right after my Jakarta trip. Hope to meet you guys again and soon... And to those Malay photog out there, you guys should come.

Quote Originally Posted by smurfman
    Exactly what I'm looking for... some form of grouping. PM me if interested.

edit... pls note it's for those "budget" AD shoots at the moment.
    Last edited by Genesis,OurDreams; 20th April 2006 at 10:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights
    smurfman ideas is suggest some of you guys form a allied for sharing resources and support each others, this method has been proven.
    thanks for your tips yesterday.

Hello guys,

im the botak guy in the avatar (who's not very botak currently). Sorry for not speaking much yesterday cos there's abit too much in my head. (Especialyl hunger!)

Hahaha, anyway, for freelancers/transitionals who require Terms of agreements format, do email me at edmund@edmundleong.com, and i'd be happy to forward the ones i currently use to you.

I had a lawyer pen this for me, so i guess it's pretty much comprehensive. (Perhaps a little too comprehensive!). It covers the issue of no-show and file corruption that was brought up during the meeting.

willyfoo: If you need help with copywriting or layout design, lemmi know. i can arrow my staff to help. haha.

Cheers everyone!

uncleparty - I would love to have a copy.

catchlights - would like to join your alliance

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 25678 LastLast