Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Edith Cowan University

  1. #1

    Default Edith Cowan University

    Hi guys,

    Considering taking up a part-time degree course. Just wondering if any of you graduated from this uni? Its offered by MDIS. Its a 1yr 9 months course incorporating the advanced diploma in mass communications.

    Just wanna hear your feedback...

  2. #2

    Default Re: Edith Cowan University

    Hey,
    I'm fm MDIS. But i'm at University of Bradford (Degree in biz management).
    Edith Cowan is not bad. Its climbing up. The first best uni offered by MDIS is bradford, followed by cowan. The rest are just crap. =)

    U can always go down to the campus and they will tell u more abt it ! =)

  3. #3

    Default Re: Edith Cowan University

    Hi guys, may I know what are the part-time options in IT,ICT, Computer sci? I only know of SIM and NAAEC?

    Anyone doing BSc com sci in NAAEC?

  4. #4

    Default Re: Edith Cowan University

    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberley
    Hey,
    I'm fm MDIS. But i'm at University of Bradford (Degree in biz management).
    Edith Cowan is not bad. Its climbing up. The first best uni offered by MDIS is bradford, followed by cowan. The rest are just crap. =)

    U can always go down to the campus and they will tell u more abt it ! =)
    Amazing !!!! You mean University of Wales, Southern Cross Unviersity and Macquarie University are crap universities?

    Just for Information, Bardford was ranked 48 in Times Good University Guide, University of Wales (Cardiff) is ranked 22.

    For Australian University, out of an index of 100 (where higher is better), the Good University Guide give :

    Edith Cowan - 40
    Southern Cross University - 41
    Macquarie University - 55

    Anyway, any state recognised universities are good.
    Last edited by blurblock; 9th April 2006 at 10:01 PM.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Edith Cowan University

    ECU is not crap, although many people think it to be.
    I know many ECU students.
    My sister used to look down at ECU, until she had no other option but to study there (no other place would accept her), then she graduated from there.
    I go to ECU library to borrow photography books because my uni doesn't have them.

    You cannot call the other universities crap, I love my uni... I'm here more than I'm at home :P

    Uni is uni, just graduate with good marks right? Do you think employers will have university-preference? I don't think it's such a big factor in their selection process.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Edith Cowan University

    Quote Originally Posted by adamadam
    Uni is uni, just graduate with good marks right? Do you think employers will have university-preference? I don't think it's such a big factor in their selection process.
    My friend I think you are very very wrong.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Edith Cowan University

    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberley
    Hey,
    I'm fm MDIS. But i'm at University of Bradford (Degree in biz management).
    Edith Cowan is not bad. Its climbing up. The first best uni offered by MDIS is bradford, followed by cowan. The rest are just crap. =)

    U can always go down to the campus and they will tell u more abt it ! =)
    hi kimberly..
    how's the sch structure ? lecture hall facilities good?

    i've not been to the campus, but i've been to the office at dhoby ghaut. enquired abit there too.

    have since paid up the $30 reg fee. guess i'll be seeing u in sch then.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Clementi, Singapore
    Posts
    2,836

    Default Re: Edith Cowan University

    Quote Originally Posted by adamadam

    Uni is uni, just graduate with good marks right? Do you think employers will have university-preference? I don't think it's such a big factor in their selection process.
    They will have a preference, say you graduate from oxford or cambridge and apply for a job and someone else alo applies, but say from a lesser known uni, many companies would probably go for the oxford or cambridge graduate becuase it shows excellence

  9. #9

    Default Re: Edith Cowan University

    Quote Originally Posted by adamadam
    ECU is not crap, although many people think it to be.
    I know many ECU students.
    My sister used to look down at ECU, until she had no other option but to study there (no other place would accept her), then she graduated from there.
    I go to ECU library to borrow photography books because my uni doesn't have them.

    You cannot call the other universities crap, I love my uni... I'm here more than I'm at home :P

    Uni is uni, just graduate with good marks right? Do you think employers will have university-preference? I don't think it's such a big factor in their selection process.
    Like I say, any state universities are good. But some are more recognised then others. For example, putting a degree holder from Imperial College, Cambridge, NUS, Australia National University and ECU together. I am quite sure the following method will how employer choose their candidates:

    Cambridge
    Imperial College
    NUS
    ANU
    ECU
    .........

    Do you think it is a big factor now? :P

  10. #10

    Default Re: Edith Cowan University

    I meant that the courses offered by MDIS from the rest of the universities are not very good. I was told by one of the lecturers that bradford and cowan in MDIS are climbing up, the rest of them are falling back. I'm sure he knows best, what courses in MDIS are the better ones.

    It's just a Perception.

    sorry if it offended u in anyway.

    Quote Originally Posted by blurblock
    Amazing !!!! You mean University of Wales, Southern Cross Unviersity and Macquarie University are crap universities?

    Just for Information, Bardford was ranked 48 in Times Good University Guide, University of Wales (Cardiff) is ranked 22.

    For Australian University, out of an index of 100 (where higher is better), the Good University Guide give :

    Edith Cowan - 40
    Southern Cross University - 41
    Macquarie University - 55

    Anyway, any state recognised universities are good.
    Last edited by Kimberley; 10th April 2006 at 06:17 PM.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Edith Cowan University

    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberley
    I meant that the courses offered by MDIS from the rest of the universities are not very good. I was told by one of the lecturers that bradford and cowan in MDIS are climbing up, the rest of them are falling back. I'm sure he knows best, what courses in MDIS are the better ones.

    It's just a Perception.

    sorry if it offended u in anyway.
    Nah .... you did not offend me in anyway. Just to correct your perception. I think your lecturer might have serious view problem as well. I know bardford is one of the best universities in Europe ranking (Business), but it does not mean the rest were not good.

    Southern Cross University is climbing faster then ECU in my view. It was ranked as a Group Six university with index of less then 20 just a couple of years ago, and it managed to overtake some of the better know university like University of Queensland.

    For university of Wales, admittedly some of its colleges are not doing well, but out of the federation of colleges, only one fall below the 90th mark and one fall within top 25, thus it is the individual colleges and not the university that is not performing. I wonder how your lecturer gather the information of other universities are slipping away.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Edith Cowan University

    Quote Originally Posted by blurblock
    Nah .... you did not offend me in anyway. Just to correct your perception. I think your lecturer might have serious view problem as well. I know bardford is one of the best universities in Europe ranking (Business), but it does not mean the rest were not good.

    Southern Cross University is climbing faster then ECU in my view. It was ranked as a Group Six university with index of less then 20 just a couple of years ago, and it managed to overtake some of the better know university like University of Queensland.

    For university of Wales, admittedly some of its colleges are not doing well, but out of the federation of colleges, only one fall below the 90th mark and one fall within top 25, thus it is the individual colleges and not the university that is not performing. I wonder how your lecturer gather the information of other universities are slipping away.
    U got me wrong. I'm talking about the courses that the rest of the universities are offering in MDIS. Like IT, etc. Those unis that offers these courses are falling back. I'm not critisizing on the ranking of the unis. It's about the course they offer in MDIS.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Edith Cowan University

    I think I know what kimberly is saying. No worries. Cheers guys. Thanks for all the replies.

    i'll most prob enrol for the comms course.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Edith Cowan University

    Ok, so it may make a difference haha

  15. #15

    Default Re: Edith Cowan University

    university name is very impt in the selection criteria. yes, most say not impt, but if you're the employer, you've 100 resume and want to chose 10 to interview, ultimately only hiring 2-3. and then a recognise name like harvard, MIT or even our own NUS pops up versus some not so recognise (in singapore context), who will u go for?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •