Thread: Simmering Fare

Default Simmering Fare

Hi everyone, another one of my pictures from my trip to Vietnam.

Pls comment. Thanks!

Default Re: Simmering Fare

uh... headless woman's backside? am i missing something here?
    Many are culled, few are chosen

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger Happy
    uh... headless woman's backside? am i missing something here?
    just wat the 5hit is that?

Hi triggerhappie,

I like your perspective of the shot, especially your attempt to make a "boring" kitchen scene into a unconventional one.

However, there are too many stray elements in the picture that make the whole frame look confusing.

(1) the backside of the bike is just inappropriate here...
    (2) the reddish tones of a few subjects, like the basin in the foreground, the red basin behind the charcoal stove (or whatever that thing is), and the red crates in the background. These conflicted with the main subject who is also wearing something reddish, hence reducing the impact of the shots.

Perhaps you may want to desaturate the whole frame, make it to either black and white or duotone (sepia)? It may make your frame look better or express your intention better.

Nonetheless, keep shooting and have fun!

implementation of foreground is totally unacceptable. it can't lead the viewer into the shot when our attention is all on the greenish lump.

umm... dont know what to say about this one... 'rump-roast' was the simmering fare? Kidding.

I do like the "fiery old-skool stove" very much though... so this 'simmering' pic is worth keeping.

Because the headless woman's bum is almost vertically-straight & dead-center in the pic, it sticks out like a neon-sign, distracting the viewer. The picture is quite level too so it looks like the bum, along with supporting cast (stove, OOF herbs & bike) were framed that way on purpose.

Maybe things would have been different with less herbs & more of her head, I dunno. I do know U took this in film so tilting is non-existent. But I'd suggest to digitally edit to tilt & crop to throw the bum off a little, to make the pic look more candid.

Here's what I mean if U'll allow me. Will comply to remove pic asap if desired.

Last edited by Rev; 8th April 2006 at 04:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by foxtwo
    implementation of foreground is totally unacceptable. it can't lead the viewer into the shot when our attention is all on the greenish lump.
    My attention was entirely on the bike!

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all your comments (some more constructive than others but I still appreciate them).

Rev, thanks for taking the time to help me with the cropping of the pic!! I really appreciate it.

From what it sounds, I think to dramatically improve this shot is not possible anymore.
    But after taking in everyone's comments, I have recropped the pic... hopefully this work better? Let me know pls....

less distracting but fg objects are still in the way. in my honest and humble opinion, there's nothing more you can do with such a photo. did you take another one from a different angle?
    Many are culled, few are chosen

Hope you don't mind my editing... it's a bit tacky and err... unpro-looking...