Thread: Exposure / Focus bracketing

Default Exposure / Focus bracketing

Got a questions here ... Normally what kinda shots or situations do you all use exposure or focus bracketing ?

Will the pros out there enlighten me ... Please ?

Default Re: Exposure / Focus bracketing

I dun think there is such thing as focus-bracketing, however i may be wrong as i have not come across that term.

As for exposure bracketing, i would use it in complex lighting, e.g. shaded subject against strong sunlight or photographing the day sky especially to make sure the clouds are properly and correctly expose as white.

Any one can help enlighten further?

yes there is such thing as focus bracketing...jus that it is nt that common...

focus bracketing usually use if ur cam having some prob focusing the subject...if im nt wrong

exposure bracketing is use when ur cam having difficulty in getting the correct exposure coz of complex light as wat moriahphotos stated...

edit: this is a gd site that explain it all
    http://bracketing.circleofphotographers.com/
    Last edited by dreamerz; 7th April 2006 at 11:12 PM.
    Buying a DSLR/SLR doesn't make you a photographer. It makes you a DSLR/SLR owner
    My Site

hmm.... thanks dude

if in doubt for general lighting conditions.. use your camera's meter to shoot one in suggested exposure, one under and one over... for digital wont hurt...for film...your wallet will start crying..had that experience couple years ago..my wallet now has a big hole in it..
    if my camera is there at the right moment, click, all I have to do is accept it.
    -edouard boubat

lol..i just realized that i didn't answer your question.. anyways..that's what i do sometimes, hope it helps.. =p
    if my camera is there at the right moment, click, all I have to do is accept it.
    -edouard boubat

I see.. so the point is just to be safe lah ?

Yah, basically after you cam meter at the subject, you shoot at 0ev, -0.5ev, -1.0ev, 0.5ev, 1.0ev. Or go even more towards both ends if you deemed it's still not enough.
    Sometimes it's useful if you are shooting the interior of a house with a huge window. If you metered the correct exposure for the interior, the scenery outside the window will be severly overblown. Therefore you shoot at few stops underexpose to get the scenery perfectly exposed, then use photoshop to merge the photos together.

get it?

hmm I never thought of that ... I always wondered how they do it ... thanks dude !

i use exposure bracketing when i do landscape...focus i don't think my camera have

Quote Originally Posted by dreamerz
    yes there is such thing as focus bracketing...jus that it is nt that common...

focus bracketing usually use if ur cam having some prob focusing the subject...if im nt wrong

exposure bracketing is use when ur cam having difficulty in getting the correct exposure coz of complex light as wat moriahphotos stated...

edit: this is a gd site that explain it all
    http://bracketing.circleofphotographers.com/
    Thanks for sharing the webby dreamerz. Got pretty nice links in there too

Focus bracketing, although there is no such function in a camera, you could do it yourself. (but could take some time, so it's not suitable for stuffs like streetshooting. tripod usage is recommended and subject is preferably stationary)

Auto focus to your subject
    take a photo
    switch to manual focus
    turn the focus ring in very small increment in both directions, taking pictures at every increments.