Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 49

Thread: Wedding techniques & Tools

  1. #21

    Default Re: Wedding techniques & Tools

    Quote Originally Posted by eadwine
    If you have a crap portfolio, then we're in big trouble

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Behind the viewfinder...
    Posts
    5,851

    Default Re: Wedding techniques & Tools

    Quote Originally Posted by eadwine
    If you have a crap portfolio, then we're in big trouble
    hahaha... we will be working at Mac'Donald's then....

  3. #23

    Default Re: Wedding techniques & Tools

    Why is there such a heavy emphasis on the more seasoned shooter to condense what they know to "give" this to some one who may be too unwilling to search for what he wants to learn ? You can be told what to do, (giving a man a fish) or you can learn from by doing and from what ever another person comments ( learning how to fish), so that at the end of the day you understand what you are doing and can progress independently.... or is it necessary to always have some one around to show you the way (meaning you can pick up the tools to self grow)? Put it another way, its a 2 way street, you are asking others to put food on the table, what are you putting in the pot ? Sharing is a 2 way thing.

    Most of the older school photogs would be classified as by our poster as unwilling teachers but theirs is the way of doing and active learning ....not as in our schools where one is spoon feed. Knowledge acquired actively is fully understood, spoon feed training tends to blunt the ability to roll with the situation since the first reaction is "I was not taught this...." You would learn more than you planned if pushed to train under the old school system.

    The biggest illusion is that by knowing the settings you can replicate the work of some shooters. It's the firmware that makes the crucial difference, using the same hardware will not make you be able to produce the same look and feel. Even getting condensed info briefing on how to do this or that, does not guarantee that you will be able to unzip the compacted info, even being shown does not mean that catch every thing the teacher knows.

  4. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Jurong Island
    Posts
    1,124

    Default Re: Wedding techniques & Tools

    Ok Guys, back to the meeting!!! So when can we meet? I'm more than willing to organise one (being a newbie and eager to learn from all). Perhaps we can start it out as a small and private one first? Those interested might PM me with the usual available day and time so that I can set a date where most can attend.

    How about it?

    Cheers
    Last edited by Lmodel; 8th April 2006 at 12:05 AM.

  5. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    800

    Default Re: Wedding techniques & Tools

    OT: isit my turn to organize? how bout macdonalds? so if u have a problem with wedding photography, can interview immediately

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    east side
    Posts
    1,937

    Default Re: Wedding techniques & Tools

    Quote Originally Posted by SniperD
    hahaha... we will be working at Mac'Donald's then....

    haha...

  7. #27

    Default Re: Wedding techniques & Tools

    Quote Originally Posted by Toxicdiver
    Hi,
    A lot of the CS forums are starting with stickies with tips, techniques and toys (some will call them tools...), but not the wedding one...
    Surprised ? Not really as it seems that it is a big business and not everyone is ready to share... But at CS we know better, don t we ?
    So let s go people, make this thread yours and push for being a sticky (I don t gain anything from it, promise, just don t have to go back to find it every time I want to read it )

    Give your equipment + the usual settings you are shooting with...
    Then the little tips that make some photographers charging so much for a wedding portfolio (even if all are not worth it.. ) and getting great shot for a special day !

    Thanks for sharing with one newbie in wed photos among others...
    to answer to your question...10D+17-40+550ex with P,S,A and occasional M when situation demands. Flash on most of the time.

    For charges... do a search ard the actual market for pricing... then see which segment you want to target and price accordingly with appropriate deliverables.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

  8. #28
    Senior Member jOhO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    6,485

    Default Re: Wedding techniques & Tools

    wah... one high praise deserves another?

    i'm humbled, never would have guessed u'd bother looking at my stuff!! seriously......

    yes get together sounds good!

    agree with the fact that we should all work together. generally i don't feel a need to "compete". there's really enough work to go around isn't there?

    how come everyone's sharing equipment? hmm.. oh well here goes ahahha

    d2hs, s3pro, afs17-35, afd50/1.4, afd85/1.4, sb800, LSII (not PJ)

    to thread starter:

    the best tip i can give you from my limited experiece is: be your own toughest critic, and greatest fan.

    in other worse, whack urself hard when ur images suck, but hold your head high and proud when you do well. it's all about balance.

    as for wat sux and wat's good, well, u feel it.

    Quote Originally Posted by ckuang
    Hi Joho, wow, that is really high praise, considering I have been admiring your works, ie the sepia toning and the semi desaturated images you have on your website because they look so classic and the semi desaturated look is so Vogue magazine looking and I think that's really cool. I have actually been wanting to call you but been a little shy. My friends are always ribbing me about my portfolio and saying I should shoot like www.jeffascough.com or www.joebuissink.com or www.mikecolon.com and I keep having to remind them that i'm working on it.

    Maybe I should organize a little dinner or get together for local wedding day photographers, what do you guys think? Kind of like a local/Singapore version of the WPJA get togethers or the NPPA pot luck night so all of us can kick back, grouse about clients, get to know each other, understand each other's business and help each other along. So instead of fighting each other we can all work together and have a better quality of life and just make our work more fun. I knda miss that because when I was working as a photog in the States, alot of the photojournalists got together for fun, helped each other out and it was great, It was like being part of this big family, which sometimes I feel is a missing in Singapore.

    Anyway, back to the original topic, Toxic Diver, don't get the rest of the guys wrong, i've found the photogs here in clubsnap generally helpful. Perhaps you could refine your question further. I think most of us would be happy to help. It's just that the question is really broad, we don't know what stage you're at in your career, so it's really hard to give advice. Ok, to contribute a little more, here's the setup I use on my shoots

    leica m6ttl with 21-90mm leica m lenses
    Canon 5D with 24-70mm and 85mm lens
    580ex with omni bounce
    sometimes use Pocket wizards with a sb 28 dx
    sometimes a holga [but the pictures rarely ever turn out]

    settings? whatever it takes to achieve my vision

    Would it help you? Honestly speaking , I use my current setup because I'm a dyslexic with a bad back so unless you're suffering from the same problems, you'll find my outfit to be a little ummm....stupid to say the least. What do i mean? As much as people love Leica's, I think they are one of the quirkiest cameras in the world. Can't do closeup, flash integration is crap, loading is slow as hell. I use them because they're small and light and the only things my bad back can support. I've long given up on the Canon 70-200 which i used to use or a second DSLR body because it's just too heavy.What else do you need to know?

  9. #29

    Default Re: Wedding techniques & Tools

    Quote Originally Posted by pianodancer
    I got D200 and D70, but unlike you, I use D200 as the main with flash and D70 as the journalistic one. Reason is that it's kindda waste to use a lower-end model as the main cam while leaving the other one as a so-called 'backup'. But frankly, your set-up is absolutely logical. Perhaps I should try that in my next wedding shoot.
    hahah my reasoning is simple....

    s3pro doesnt have ittl... and for tea and table shots...the d70 is sufficient

    if i were to use the d70 for the non flash shots...i tink the noise would kill me hahaha

  10. #30
    Senior Member jOhO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    6,485

    Default Re: Wedding techniques & Tools

    Quote Originally Posted by Witness
    hahah my reasoning is simple....

    s3pro doesnt have ittl... and for tea and table shots...the d70 is sufficient

    if i were to use the d70 for the non flash shots...i tink the noise would kill me hahaha

  11. #31

    Default Re: Wedding techniques & Tools

    hahhaa its a preference la...i guess at the end of the day, we all got our own styles of shooting and all...no rights or wrongs to it...i tink the most important in wedding photog is to be able to capture the moods and emotions of the day....

    so long as who u are shooting for is ok for it and everyone's happy....all's well...

    joho...nice works u got there man....need to get more inspiration from u guys here....

  12. #32
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Mostly SF, Sometimes SGP
    Posts
    424

    Default Re: Wedding techniques & Tools

    Hey, sorry, a little OT, but just to give some publicity to my fellow photogs, Eadwine [nick is Eadwine], www.plushphotography.com.sg is the only Singaporean photographer to have won and been accepted in the AGWPJA [Artistic Guild of the WPJA]. ARTTL has also placed in the WPJA clip contest. So we do have some kick a** AD photographers here.

    My sincere hope is that if we all work together, Singapore can become an international powerhouse of wedding photography. Kinda like what the Australians have done in the last 10 years. Quietly working on their own little thing in their corner of the world and then exploding into the international scene in the last 5 years, and they achieved that by working together. I think we can do that here too. Anyway, i'm trying to get the whole process started so if people have suggestions to achieving this, i'm open to suggestions.

  13. #33
    Senior Member Cheesecake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    I live in a haunted house!!!!!
    Posts
    16,385

    Default Re: Wedding techniques & Tools

    Quote Originally Posted by ckuang
    Hey, sorry, a little OT, but just to give some publicity to my fellow photogs, Eadwine [nick is Eadwine], www.plushphotography.com.sg is the only Singaporean photographer to have won and been accepted in the AGWPJA [Artistic Guild of the WPJA]. ARTTL has also placed in the WPJA clip contest. So we do have some kick a** AD photographers here.

    My sincere hope is that if we all work together, Singapore can become an international powerhouse of wedding photography. Kinda like what the Australians have done in the last 10 years. Quietly working on their own little thing in their corner of the world and then exploding into the international scene in the last 5 years, and they achieved that by working together. I think we can do that here too. Anyway, i'm trying to get the whole process started so if people have suggestions to achieving this, i'm open to suggestions.
    keep it going, Singaporeans!
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

  14. #34
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    SGP for now...
    Posts
    67

    Default Re: Wedding techniques & Tools

    Thanks for those who have tried to understand where I was coming from and where I want to go.
    To clear the mind of everyone about my intentions :
    I am no a pro, I know what I am doing and invest in my equipment but it remains a passion before a business (seem that some of the posters have put aside the passion...Can t blame, probably like a lot of us in our day to day job. But for most photography is a passion (an expensive one...)
    Wedding photos are among the most difficult photos yone could have to take (in my opinion)
    1) as the moment is really unique and might (or should) happen once in a life time (like mixing up the photos of the opening ceremony of the olympic games or the final of the 100m where a world record is broken..)
    2) you have "models" who are wearing very different contrasted suits, usually from very dark to very "white". So your tones on a same picture are out of the scope of what you would find normally, except if you like taking pictures of zebras !
    3) On the day shoots, you will be lacking space and light or will not always have the opportunity to be at the optimal palce all the time.
    4) people you are taking are most of the time very ordinary people, like you, like me. We are not always "good" in front of a camera...

    So when I ask for tips it was about how to handle difficult light situations (indoor, outdoor), how to set up the camera regarding your tones correction, use a very shallow dof or at the opposite don t blur too much the background. What are the advantages of all this.
    That was it, I never ask for the prices one would charge, I said some are overcharging for their work and others compared to the rest of the market should charge 10 times more, but this is not my problem until I get married....

    BTW thanks to Ellery for your philosphy lesson, but you were out of scope mate :
    1) You can t try and try and try on a wedding photo (especially if you are paid for it !! Except if you mention that you are a newby and wanna do it for free or as a second photographer for a per shot sale...)
    2) Giving advices is teaching a man how to fish, giving him a finished picture is giving him a fish ! As someone mentionned, you can have all the settings you want, your eye/vision will make the difference between 2 good photographers.

    Last but not least, the research was done prior to my posting, but with the amount of crap you have in the internet about photography, difficult to find something good. Maybe the one who post that very smart comment could give good websites or we need to look for them too...

    I wonder how some photographers could deliver good photos when they can t see further than the end of their nose (or the bottom of their pocket).
    Luckily some guys who posted here are doing a great job and are happy to help...

  15. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    East, SG
    Posts
    2,641

    Default Re: Wedding techniques & Tools

    Was tempted not to post in this thread, but if you want to see what the pros in overseas carry, that's like 3 times more equipment than my arsenal that I bring along....

    1. Leica MP with leicavit : 35mm summicron 4th version and 90mm - I shoot exclusively black and white with this setup. This setup is really my favourite - small, light, fast, quiet, blends in just like the other relatives. More importantly, and believe it or not, it is faster than AF cameras if you know how to pre-focus.

    2. Canon 1D 2 and 5D. 1D2 as main and 5D for low light condition. 1D2 still give a managable file size compared to the 5D....

    3. 16-35mm and 24-70 and 135mm f2 (dinner) or 85mm 1.2L (day). The 16-35 is forever cemented on my 1D2, the 5D is the only one that I change lenses with. I just feel that the 24-70 and 135 f2 and 85mm seems to work only on Full-frame coz on cams with 1.3 or 1.6x crop factor, doesn't fit in anywhere.

    4. 580EX flash, hardly use it, cept for fill-in and banquet.

    5. Quantum 2x2. My main power supply for flash. I have the cables to connect it to my 1D2 in event of flat battery or want a slightly lighter set up.

    6. Optional: slave flash orbs. Small pocket size flash that fits in your pocket. Trust me, these can make a diff if you know how to use them. Just make sure you're firing from Manual mode and not ETTL.

    Ultimately, it really depends on your shooting style and really bring what you need.... I was reading Shutter Bug march 2006 issue, those europeans are carrying like 6 lenses and 3 bodies plus their powerbook 15" for their wedding assignments, that includes the 200 f1.8L. My back wouldn't allow me to take that kind of load...

  16. #36

    Default Re: Wedding techniques & Tools

    Quote Originally Posted by ckuang
    2. When clients say, "wah so expensive," they're not saying they don't have the money. what they're really saying is "we don't understand why you charge so much more than everyone else." A bit of explanation on your style and how you do things normally solves this problem

    4. Quit worrying and basing your pricing on part timers and their $300 packages. If you want to charge lots, these part timers never have and never will be in the same target market you are after. When was the last time you have heard of Ferrari worrying about the prices of Skoda cars. Your biggest competitiors after you have broken a certain price point is not other photographers. It's the gown designer, the florist and caterers who are competing for the couples budget. Not the $300 photographer.

    www.39eastimages.com
    Absolutely agree with you...

    When I see someone advertise for $300 for a wedding coverage... I find it pointless.

    Marriage is once in a lifetime thing (we like to believe that, especially in western world), hence they will spend the money. According to statistic, Wedding business (as a whole) worth $5 billion in US market, I think about $2 Billion in Australia.

    Hence most people will pay for your service if they like your style.

    Photographer should compete each other in style and format, NOT in pricing.

    If every wedding photographer drop their price to compete in the market, then it eventually kill off the market rate. Everything is going up, but how come the price for wedding photography stays the same.

    You charge what you think YOU WORTH...

    Equipment wise and how you shoot it, it is personal choice, there is no right or wrong when come to Photo...

    Regards,

    Hart

  17. #37

    Default Re: Wedding techniques & Tools

    Quote Originally Posted by Toxicdiver
    Thanks for those who have tried to understand where I was coming from and where I want to go.
    To clear the mind of everyone about my intentions :
    I am no a pro, I know what I am doing and invest in my equipment but it remains a passion before a business (seem that some of the posters have put aside the passion...Can t blame, probably like a lot of us in our day to day job. But for most photography is a passion (an expensive one...)
    Wedding photos are among the most difficult photos yone could have to take (in my opinion)
    1) as the moment is really unique and might (or should) happen once in a life time (like mixing up the photos of the opening ceremony of the olympic games or the final of the 100m where a world record is broken..)
    2) you have "models" who are wearing very different contrasted suits, usually from very dark to very "white". So your tones on a same picture are out of the scope of what you would find normally, except if you like taking pictures of zebras !
    3) On the day shoots, you will be lacking space and light or will not always have the opportunity to be at the optimal palce all the time.
    4) people you are taking are most of the time very ordinary people, like you, like me. We are not always "good" in front of a camera...

    So when I ask for tips it was about how to handle difficult light situations (indoor, outdoor), how to set up the camera regarding your tones correction, use a very shallow dof or at the opposite don t blur too much the background. What are the advantages of all this.
    That was it, I never ask for the prices one would charge, I said some are overcharging for their work and others compared to the rest of the market should charge 10 times more, but this is not my problem until I get married....

    BTW thanks to Ellery for your philosphy lesson, but you were out of scope mate :
    1) You can t try and try and try on a wedding photo (especially if you are paid for it !! Except if you mention that you are a newby and wanna do it for free or as a second photographer for a per shot sale...)
    2) Giving advices is teaching a man how to fish, giving him a finished picture is giving him a fish ! As someone mentionned, you can have all the settings you want, your eye/vision will make the difference between 2 good photographers.

    Last but not least, the research was done prior to my posting, but with the amount of crap you have in the internet about photography, difficult to find something good. Maybe the one who post that very smart comment could give good websites or we need to look for them too...

    I wonder how some photographers could deliver good photos when they can t see further than the end of their nose (or the bottom of their pocket).
    Luckily some guys who posted here are doing a great job and are happy to help...
    Your thread might have a sound and noble idea. You mentioned you have done your research. But you found absolutely nothing that's useful? If you had found something useful, why aren't you sharing what you know to jumpstart your noble idea? Sharing of links to inspirational wedding photographers? Low light shooting? Nothing useful? All crap? Type "low-light photography" in google search box and you have to distil crap? Do that, and come back and rebut me if there really isn't nothing. Of course, you can choose the more constructive alternative of proving your noble cause - start a repository of resources. Invite people to add on. Categorise the areas you think experienced photographers can help. If you can't think of anything, invite seasoned photogs to come up with categories.

    You seem to me to be extremely accusational to anyone who tried to point out the responsibility of the individual learner. You seem to me to be like someone who expect to be fed. Not to be taught how to fish. Imbued with the sense of responsibility to learn is detrimental to someone who wants to learn how to fish. If you had specific questions on wedding photography, you mean they won't be answered? All you did was start a thread to invite everyone to share their best practices, nothing to anchor upon, nothing to guide. Would this thread be any useful to anyone who's willing to learn? Bits and pieces of information, not contextualised in any form. If this thread turns up in a search, you mean the searcher won't need to filter through crap?

    Sorry for the harsh tone. Your posts are much more measured, but no less negative.

  18. #38

    Default Re: Wedding techniques & Tools

    Absolutely agree with you...

    When I see someone advertise for $300 for a wedding coverage... I find it pointless.

    Marriage is once in a lifetime thing (we like to believe that, especially in western world), hence they will spend the money. According to statistic, Wedding business (as a whole) worth $5 billion in US market, I think about $2 Billion in Australia.

    Hence most people will pay for your service if they like your style.

    Photographer should compete each other in style and format, NOT in pricing.

    If every wedding photographer drop their price to compete in the market, then it eventually kill off the market rate. Everything is going up, but how come the price for wedding photography stays the same.

    You charge what you think YOU WORTH...

    Much agree, I'll give 50% discount for their next wedding.......hee....hee...

    On second thought, I think I should be a make up artist instead consider their total spend on actual wedding is shorter and need not to carry the bag of camera equipment for whole day...

  19. #39

    Default Re: Wedding techniques & Tools

    Does anyone find it appalling that divorce rates are reaching 50% in the US. (rising in Singapore as well)

    So that probably means 1 in every 2 couples you shoot, will end in divorce.

    I find that so sad. Here we are trying to document that once in a lifetime day with two people looking into each other's eyes, so much in love.

    And you know that years down the road, they'd be tearing their albums apart, with tears in their eyes.

    I'm a wedding photographer, and it is my belief that all marraiges should be between two people who want to spend the rest of their lives together. And i certainly want all my clients to do that.

    But i just can't help but feel a little sad about the grim reality. That one in two marraiges will end in divorce.

  20. #40
    Senior Member glennyong's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    5,587

    Default Re: Wedding techniques & Tools

    anyway. i did discuss this with Darren on having a sticky on guidelines or techinques.

    he wanted this to be more of a portfolio. so if you guys want to share techniques. this will be at the Photo Biz.



    i would strongly encourage this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •