6th April 2006, 03:15 PM
may be visiting Kunming, does anyone know of any places of interest that I should not miss. I am also looking for some affordable accomdation (ie cheap and good.. I Sporean mah), will appreciate if anyone who had been there to give some suggestions.
Thanks in advance!!
6th April 2006, 08:19 PM
6th April 2006, 09:28 PM
yes I can help...
but what is your budget?
city hotel is about RMB$150-250 (got cheaper one but i do not recommend)
places of interest : plenty within city
1) Nationality Village (Ming Zhu Chun) - Take bus no.44 RMB$2 and visit all the chinese nationality (50 of them). Entrance fees is about RMB$70 and it will take you half to full a day. Plenty of performance.
2) Stone Forrest (Shi Lin) - This is a must but it takes you half a day trip with a full lunch meal and will cost you about RMB$100. You can actually look for local travel agent. Please bargain.
3) Golden Temple (Jin Dian)- Expo Garden (from city 30 minutes by bus no.71, 10 and) but entrance fees is RMB$100
4) West Hill (Xi San) - 2 hours by bus (beware of pick pocket) Take no.5 bus from city (it's a public bus and only pay RMB$1) until the bus terminal. Go look for another bus which says West Hills and pay about RMB$20 but please bargain. You must go early in the morning. Plenty of walking to do.
5) Green Lake (Cui Hu) - Free. Can take bus no.5, 26 and 61. You have walk about 7 mins. Good food and good scenery.
6) Jin Ma Bi Gi - It's a place similiar to Orchard Road. Plenty of restaurants and food and shopping. Plenty of buses goes there. If you want easier it will be taxi.
All above, you must bargain. Never think that RMB100 divided by 5 SGD$20 only. Think of it in terms of 1:1 All public buses are RMB$1 (no matter how many stops)
This is all within the city and slightly outskirt.
Anything further will be DALI, Lijiang and Shangri-la. All this just follow local tours but never never give them money until everything is confirm and you see all the passengers folllowing you too. Ask the passengers questions as well so you know you are going the right place. They are all very friendly people, more friendly than Singaporeans.
Kunming is famous for their tea but never buy those big round pieces as some of them have too much green dyes. So look carefully and open your mouth and ask. Camera equipment is NOT cheap. So don't bother as I have when hunting. If you have problem with your health, please go to a hospital and not a clinic.
There are too much info actually. The best sometimes is go for a local tour agency and look at their brochures as there are plenty of tours and bargain.
6th April 2006, 10:56 PM
thanks for the info. Will check them out.
My budget is around the range that you mention. You have any spefic hotels to recommend??
Thanks a million again!!!
7th April 2006, 09:56 PM
Sports Hotel is about RMB$85-100 (No B/B)
Originally Posted by insanne
Chameleon Hotel - RMB$100-150 (B/B) (Most Convienient and easy access around city)
Kunming Hotel - RMB$300-400 (B/B) (Most Convienient and easy access around city)
Holiday Inn - RMB$300-400 (B/B)
Lu Zhou Hotel - RMB$200-300 (B/B)
Jia Hua Plaza - RMB$400-500 (B/B)
Harbour Plaza - RMB$400-500 (B/B) (Second Best)
Green Lake Hotel RMB$500-600 (B/B) (Best Hotel in Kunming)
This is all low season rates. If you call up a local agent tour, the hotel rates are a little cheaper.
Last edited by Pro Image; 7th April 2006 at 09:59 PM.
10th April 2006, 05:07 PM
thanks a million again for all the info. Appreciate your sharing!