Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why so many shops call snooker as billiard in Singapore?

Interestingly, the rules state that jump shots are legal... but the last competition I was in, the referee banned jump shots...

Originally posted by willyfoo
    Interestingly, the rules state that jump shots are legal... but the last competition I was in, the referee banned jump shots...
    perhaps u should print that out and show it to the referee .

ok, i was wrong, seems that we need to call out shot for certain game.

I also watch espn 8 ball competition, they don't speak usually. Perhaps they are too professional that they don't need to call and the referee or the audiance will still know what the contestant is trying to hit.
    Last edited by ninelives; 6th December 2002 at 05:15 PM.

Originally posted by ninelives
    I also watch espn 8 ball competition, they don't speak usually. Perhaps they are too professional that they don't need to call and the referee or the audiance will still know what the contestant is trying to hit.
    Essentially, that's what I said.

Also, while Billiards can be used to describe most games involving cues, tables and pockets, billiards is also a game by itself, involving the aforementioned cue, table, pockets, and just three balls.

Originally posted by Jed
    Also, while Billiards can be used to describe most games involving cues, tables and pockets, billiards is also a game by itself, involving the aforementioned cue, table, pockets, and just three balls.
    I believe that's called english billiards.
    Used to play it competitively in uni...
    Last edited by willyfoo; 7th December 2002 at 12:57 PM.

I concur with willy. Those are the rules I'm familiar with.

For 8-ball, i remember that jump balls are not allowed. But they may hv changed this rule someone ever since those taiwanese seems to use them very effectively during 9-ball competitions.

Originally posted by willyfoo
    I believe that's called english billiards.
    Used to play it competitively in uni...
    Beats me. But I know you can find that explanation in an American dictionary (in fact it's the main explanation, not the generic term).

I know it's hardly played in this country too, and I thought the consensus over here is that it came from across the Channel, which makes it a bit ticklish if it is called English billiards, but there you go!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12